• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Becoming a godfather this Sunday :)"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Mr P was a Godfather again a couple of weeks ago, he was their second choice as their first choice was not a Catholic and the Priest said they had to be. It would appear that it is at the discretion of the Priest then.
    However the role of Godparent is to give spiritual support to the God child, so i really think it helps if you're of the same religion!
    Mind you if its just so the parents can have a party and send the kid to a Catholic school then I guess it doesn't matter, as they aren't taking it seriously anyway.
    Congrats Pogle. You managed to splice "Priest" and "discretion" into the same sentence there. Respect!

We'll get a visit from Incognito soon as that combo will have triggered his "Bigot Filters".

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    My younger two sons were christened in the Catholic Church in Swindon back in 1994. Not that I was bothered particularly, and would have opted for the same C of E place our older two sons were christened in a few years earlier. However, the new C of E God-Botherer in Chief had this whimsical notion that we should all trip up to the place for at least 6 months prior to his agreeing to christen them. Sod that we thought, and went to see the RC priest instead. He was much more laid back and said "Okay, when do you want to do it?". Much simpler.
    Anyway, I digress a bit. The point I am circuitously navigating towards is that he did not insist on all the Godparents being RC. As long as one of them was that sufficed, so we enlisted the aid of some of our "Dublin Mafia" members of the family, and it all went swimmingly.
    You should be fine Wilmslow, I can lend you an old Celtic shirt to wear if you really want to cement yourself in their affections!!

Mr P was a Godfather again a couple of weeks ago, he was their second choice as their first choice was not a Catholic and the Priest said they had to be. It would appear that it is at the discretion of the Priest then.
    However the role of Godparent is to give spiritual support to the God child, so i really think it helps if you're of the same religion!
    Mind you if its just so the parents can have a party and send the kid to a Catholic school then I guess it doesn't matter, as they aren't taking it seriously anyway.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    My younger two sons were christened in the Catholic Church in Swindon back in 1994. Not that I was bothered particularly, and would have opted for the same C of E place our older two sons were christened in a few years earlier. However, the new C of E God-Botherer in Chief had this whimsical notion that we should all trip up to the place for at least 6 months prior to his agreeing to christen them. Sod that we thought, and went to see the RC priest instead. He was much more laid back and said "Okay, when do you want to do it?". Much simpler.
    Anyway, I digress a bit. The point I am circuitously navigating towards is that he did not insist on all the Godparents being RC. As long as one of them was that sufficed, so we enlisted the aid of some of our "Dublin Mafia" members of the family, and it all went swimmingly.
    You should be fine Wilmslow, I can lend you an old Celtic shirt to wear if you really want to cement yourself in their affections!!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Superb - just the answer I was hoping for.

I will lie in church with a clear legal conscience
    Just don't say Allahu Akbar when he's blest and you will be alright.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Tulip singer.... Although he was born in a good place..... Like someone else you "know"
    David Essex isn't involved in "that'll Be The Day" the stage show.

That'll Be The Day - The UK's Favourite Rock N Roll Variety Show!

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I know - tulip film, good soundtrack, even better stage show!
    Tulip singer.... Although he was born in a good place..... Like someone else you "know"

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Sorry - I was referring to David Essex (Stardust & That'll be the Day)
    I know - tulip film, good soundtrack, even better stage show!

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    ...... song lyrics......
    Sorry - I was referring to David Essex (Stardust & That'll be the Day)

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    That song is actually correct.

Well apart from the fibs about woodstock

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    That'll be the day!
    I came upon a child of God
    He was walking along the road
    When I asked him where are you going
    This he told me
    I'm going down to Yasgur's farm
    Think I'll join a rock and roll band
    I'll camp out on the land
    I'll try and set my soul free

We are stardust, we are golden
    And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden

Then can I walk beside you
    I have come here to lose the smog
    And I feel just like a cog in something turning
    Well maybe it's the time of year
    Or maybe it's the time of man
    And I don't know who I am
    But life's for learning

By the time I got to Woodstock
    They were half a million strong
    Everywhere there was songs and celebration
    And I dreamed I saw the bombers
    Riding shotgun in the sky
    Turning into butterflies
    Above our nation

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Our Bodies and blood are made from stardust - as is bread and so is wine.
    That'll be the day!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Sorry...... It was a semi-serious point!
    You (Catholics) believe that it is the body and blood of Christ.... rather than represents the body and blood.....

Well it can be proven that it isn't the B&BoC..... so does that mean that your Faith "collapses"........

Probably a bit heavy for CUK - questioning the fundamental tenets of your religion.... Sorry
    Bit heavy for me more like

"absence of evidence, isn't evidence of absence"

Thing is, I & most Catholics with half a brain know full well it can't be true but "Faith" kicks in and tells you otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    You (Catholics) believe that it is the body and blood of Christ.... rather than represents the body and blood.....

Well it can be proven that it isn't the B&BoC..... so does that mean that your Faith "collapses"........
    Probably a bit heavy for CUK - questioning the fundamental tenets of your religion.... Sorry
    Our Bodies and blood are made from stardust - as is bread and so is wine.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Can we stop this game now... you are confusing me!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Sorry sweetie but the earth really is round and revolves around the sun...
    No, you are just being silly

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Do some nuns have sex with priests or is it all an urban legend ?

Is it wrong to ask such a question ? WIll it make me bigotted? ( TM)
    Yep - happened in my school - my 4th class teacher, Sr Brid - and Fr Pat the parish priest. the poor sod got sent off to the missions in Africa and she got sent to Cork...(not sure which was worse really)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X