• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Normal Salaries - Wow!"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I'll wager that none come from your direction.
    You'd be wrong, as usual.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Pay attention. Some nuggets of common sense may penetrate even your exceptionally thick noggin.
    I'll wager that none come from your direction.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    Some of us enjoy the creativety of IT and have no interest in pushing paperwork and moving further up the food chain and managing a load of Bobs(no offence Bob like). In fact, I feel sorry for anyone doing that kind of work, it may pay but you cannot derive much satisfaction from it surely?

If I am unable to use my creativety I'd rather do something completely different. I don't want to go to my grave and think the last 30 years paid well but bored me to death.
    Each to their own. Although I enjoy the financial rewards of contracting, I'd rather take a less well paid career change than do stuff related to IT I have no interest in (managing offshore projects to save pennies when it quite often doesn't work out like that).
    I know I will never get to a position where I will make real decisions. I have done the "use my creativety" thing only the see the project cancelled. I have accepted what IT has become, now I put my creativety to other uses. You really don't know what is involved getting my presents required in India for Jan. Feb. and March, twice.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    But you can design what they do, manage them, or sign-off what they do. It not about competing with them, it's about moving further up the food chain.
    Some of us enjoy the creativety of IT and have no interest in pushing paperwork and moving further up the food chain and managing a load of Bobs(no offence Bob like). In fact, I feel sorry for anyone doing that kind of work, it may pay but you cannot derive much satisfaction from it surely?

If I am unable to use my creativety I'd rather do something completely different. I don't want to go to my grave and think the last 30 years paid well but bored me to death.
    Each to their own. Although I enjoy the financial rewards of contracting, I'd rather take a less well paid career change than do stuff related to IT I have no interest in (managing offshore projects to save pennies when it quite often doesn't work out like that).

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    But that is annoying work, as they are mostly ******* useless...
    But it pays well, and you get to spend the winters in India, and work from home on the beach.

It works for me

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    But you can design what they do, manage them, or sign-off what they do.
    But that is annoying work, as they are mostly ******* useless...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    It not about competing with them, it's about moving further up the food chain.
    Quite.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Nurse!!!
    Pay attention. Some nuggets of common sense may penetrate even your exceptionally thick noggin.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Earning more now than the lucrative contracting years of the 90s.
    It's all about adapting to changing circumstances and moving out of commoditised "IT". You can't really compete with Bob or Pavel, so don't try.
    But you can design what they do, manage them, or sign-off what they do. It not about competing with them, it's about moving further up the food chain.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    It's all about adapting to changing circumstances and moving out of commoditised "IT". You can't really compete with Bob or Pavel, so don't try.
    Nurse!!!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    I wonder when we will see another 80's level increase in salaries, what I mean is, from mid 80's to mid 90's there was large salary inflation, wonder if that will ever happen again ?
    Salaries, maybe in nominal terms. In real terms, no way, not without some game changing technology. Think increasing world demand for resources and peak just about everything.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    What shocks me the the most is that, in my opinion, general salaries have not improved since the mid 90's.

Yet during the same period the cost of living has risen dramatically and the value of the currency has fallen in parallel
    I think you will find that thanks to Gordon's superb financial management then inflation has been low all through this period so salaries have not needed to rise.

Now the tories are in, watch it take off.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    have read the thread, thank you it is very informative.

What shocks me the the most is that, in my opinion, general salaries have not improved since the mid 90's.

Yet during the same period the cost of living has risen dramatically and the value of the currency has fallen in parallel

I wonder when we will see another 80's level increase in salaries, what I mean is, from mid 80's to mid 90's there was large salary inflation, wonder if that will ever happen again ?

seems salaries in general have a lot fo catching up to do

what does the jury think ?

Sas, take a tablet before replying please.

Ta,

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    No, not been on the bench for years, I am heading there in July.
    I would like a 6 month contract, to keep me bussy until I head off for the winter. But the war chest can take me having 9 months off.
    <sniff><sniff>Yeah right...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X