• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Vat

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vat"

Collapse

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    You want to try Denmark: 25%.

What is better they charge it on any import. i.e. buy some books from Amazon UK and they bang another 25% on top.

Now what was that EU ruling that said they weren't allowed to do that?
    Depends on where you buy from. They cant charge another tax on top of something you have bought in the EU because tax has already been paid HOWEVER if you buy something from america then its open season for tax collection.

Anyone know how England is getting on with its challenge in the EU on this?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Bovvered
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    Theoretically if there were no VAT, the customer would pay his supplier the same amount, the supplier (who might be your client) would keep more of that, and would have more to be able to give to you
    How'd you work that out? All my clients know full well they can claim the VAT back from HMCE, so why would they worry about paying it?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Bovvered
    What's the fuss about? It's not like you earned the VAT in the first place.
    Well, it's part of the price the end customer pays, but it is removed from the chain before it can trickle down to oneself. Theoretically if there were no VAT, the customer would pay his supplier the same amount, the supplier (who might be your client) would keep more of that, and would have more to be able to give to you (or to his suppliers, one of whome would be your client...). So in a basic supply and demand model, the demanders of your services would be better off and should be prepared to pay a higher price because they have more to pay with.

Leave a comment:

• Bovvered
    replied
    What's the fuss about? It's not like you earned the VAT in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    bloody frogs
    wonder if GB would have come up with the idea if it hadn't been invented before him

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied

What is better they charge it on any import. i.e. buy some books from Amazon UK and they bang another 25% on top.

If you order from the net within the EU, you should be charged your country's VAT by the internet seller. Which is what the EU says should happen.

By contrast, I forgot myself here in Switzerland and ordered something from the EU: duty to pay, fee for customs inspection, fee by Post Office for presenting to Customs, and VAT on the lot. Hmm.

PS yes, it was a French invention.

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Darn, and there I was hoping, for an instant, if you get paid in cash you don't have to account for it.
    That's the principle most corner shop owners follow.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Darn, and there I was hoping, for an instant, if you get paid in cash you don't have to account for it.
    Isn't that why they made you close down your last company?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied

Leave a comment:

• planetit
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard
    And making it payable at the point of invoice rather than payment is even better.
    You could always try the Cash Accounting Scheme

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    replied
    I remember the fuss when maggie put vat on fish and chips so the chippies sold salt and vinegar and gave the fish and chips for free. Those were the days when tax avoidance was fun.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I think the French invented it.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    started a topic Vat

Vat

It's blimming loads when you think about it! Which nobody does, apart from at the retail end and rarely even then because people just get used to it.

With the amount of VAT I turf over with every invoice you could buy a decent sofa, rent a decent flat in Chelsea or visit a mid-market working girl every night.
    And making it payable at the point of invoice rather than payment is even better.

Working...
X