• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Plan C

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plan C"

Collapse

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Yes, getting the property registered is a problem at the moment. I am sure it will get sorted, in about 10 years.
    Would taking a local 'partner' onboard help ? I'm guessing you've already thought of that. Or is it a bigger political issue.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    I did see the news stories about land ownership issues in Goa, is that why ? Or just general tulip ?
    Yes, getting the property registered is a problem at the moment. I am sure it will get sorted, in about 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Egypt apartment nearly finish, Indian project is on the way to "Holiday Homes from Hell", can't win them all.
    I did see the news stories about land ownership issues in Goa, is that why ? Or just general tulip ?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I'm busy with a building project so time filling isn't a problem, I'm dodging that this morning that for the same hangover reasons that has me worrying about how to earn a crust. I was watching RSA B Team beat Oz.

Were is your development project upto ?
    Egypt apartment nearly finish, Indian project is on the way to "Holiday Homes from Hell", can't win them all.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
    Corgi Gas Engineer, mate of mine has gone this route after giving up IT two years ago in order to
    go full time on his BTL portfolio. started doing the corgi course so as to save money on his
    yearly BTL costs of gas inspection, surprisingly he's found out that it's very lucrative and now is
    earning more than his BTL revenue, he's now studying for the Electircal certification as well.
    I've seriously thought of that one. I'm in the middle of a building project at the moment and a few days of scrambling around in insulation doing plumbing and electrics makes you think again. Any idea where he did the Corgi stuff ?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by bright spark View Post
    Corgi gas safe engineer
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    If you are on the bench, why don't you go and do some volunteer work. You will give back to your community and it makes you realise how lucky you are. There is also an element of Karma, you might be surprised what you get back.
    I'm busy with a building project so time filling isn't a problem, I'm dodging that this morning that for the same hangover reasons that has me worrying about how to earn a crust. I was watching RSA B Team beat Oz.

Were is your development project upto ?

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    After leaving school at 16 hardly able to read or write, I completed a Hons Degree in Computing Science.
    Most of the code I come across looks like it was written by people who can't read and write.

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    So back to Plan C ? Non IT, needs paperwork, happy to go and do a years training.
    Corgi Gas Engineer, mate of mine has gone this route after giving up IT two years ago in order to
    go full time on his BTL portfolio. started doing the corgi course so as to save money on his
    yearly BTL costs of gas inspection, surprisingly he's found out that it's very lucrative and now is
    earning more than his BTL revenue, he's now studying for the Electircal certification as well.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I agree with both of you !

But, I've been there done that, the travel and hotels bit is the part that really makes me grimace. It doesn't work if you've got a wife and kids. I read a Crapcenture ad last week, it sent me in a steep dive that I haven't recovered from yet.

I'll come up with something, I'm good on the bulltulip, but as you've sussed my attitude is awful at time of press.
    If you are on the bench, why don't you go and do some volunteer work. You will give back to your community and it makes you realise how lucky you are. There is also an element of Karma, you might be surprised what you get back.

I had a successful business that I sold, I had un-diagnosed Dyslexia and felt I could no longer handle such a large company. I decided I needed a break, I felt a bit of a failure. I was approached to help out in the local chamber of commerce. I went along and helped a few projects. They suggested a training course at the local university, where my Dyslexia was diagnosed. After leaving school at 16 hardly able to read or write, I completed a Hons Degree in Computing Science.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The IT contract market isn't any more stuffed than anything else, but maybe in your niche. You can always get a permie job for a while to move over in a different niche. My impression is programmers are doing OK, but testers and PM's seem to be stuffed.
    The permie route with some possible cross training might be a goer for a while, if only to convince me to move on to real pastures new. I turned my nose up at a couple of chances in the past few weeks, I just couldn't send the CV. It would also be a pretty hard sell to convince them I won't be off as soon as a decent contract comes up. My ropey attitude will also need some serious covering up work !

So back to Plan C ? Non IT, needs paperwork, happy to go and do a years training.
    Last edited by rootsnall; 17 May 2010, 08:37.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    If you become an expert in the niche area, call yourself a consultant. They will pay you to sign-off bob's work. Or like in my case, fly you out there put you in 5* hotels, provide drivers etc. For you to conduct workshops, training etc.

I think you are thinking like a permie, aiming too low. You don't need a Plan C, you need a new frame of mind.

HTH

P.S. I think I just agreed with atW, I need to lie down.
    I agree with both of you !

But, I've been there done that, the travel and hotels bit is the part that really makes me grimace. It doesn't work if you've got a wife and kids. I read a Crapcenture ad last week, it sent me in a steep dive that I haven't recovered from yet.

I'll come up with something, I'm good on the bulltulip, but as you've sussed my attitude is awful at time of press.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    i'm going on a course that seriously keeps the riff raff out. It says on the web page the course is only open to certain occupations, and you have to provide documentary evidence.

You also need a law degree, so there's an idea for you: Do the ou law degree, even the very first module provides a bit of paper that impresses clients no end and law really is a piece of piss if you can bulltulip.
    ftfy.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    My semi hungover Monday morning bench thoughts are that the IT contract game is stuffed.

So, the brief is to come up with a new career that requires some formal training and provides me with a piece of paper at the end of some course or other that will hopefully keep the riffraff out and the money levels up.

Any ideas ?
    I'm going on a course that seriously keeps the riff raff out. It says on the web page the course is only open to certain occupations, and you have to provide documentary evidence.

You also need a Law Degree, so there's an idea for you: do the OU Law Degree, even the very first module provides a bit of paper that impresses clients no end and Law really is a piece of piss if you can program.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    OK. It looks like it's back to Plan A then. I've had a shower and perked up a bit !

The problem with niches is that they involve travel to cash in and any new emerging niches will soon be bob low paid zones.
    If you become an expert in the niche area, call yourself a consultant. They will pay you to sign-off bob's work. Or like in my case, fly you out there put you in 5* hotels, provide drivers etc. For you to conduct workshops, training etc.

I think you are thinking like a permie, aiming too low. You don't need a Plan C, you need a new frame of mind.

HTH

P.S. I think I just agreed with atW, I need to lie down.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X