• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "News of the World - a danger to democracy"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    Rubbish, a better idea would be for players to be picked on merit/form and not reputation!
    There are always 50% of people who perform less than the other 50% - the only matter is the threshold you apply, at Intel its bottom 10% that get pruned.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    IMO there should be rule that would ensure 50% team rotation to avoid people taking places for granted.
    Rubbish, a better idea would be for players to be picked on merit/form and not reputation!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Paco
    The means by which they got him out were dubious, to say the least, but I think they justified the end.
    I think not, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Informing those who wish to know about side of Sven they would not have known otherwise - that's called public service since Sven's job is so important to the public.
    Don't be fooled into going down the "public service" road. He owes nothing to a "public" who would kick him out without a by or leave. No, he is contracted to do a job, not a public service.

As for this newspaper article, firstly, show me one person who says that you should not think about your next contract until your current one expires, and I'll show you a liar.

Secondly, nothing Sven said about his players was new, or particularly bad.

Leave a comment:

• Paco
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    It was incompetent FA crap as well.
    The means by which they got him out were dubious, to say the least, but I think they justified the end.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    It was however

I don't think Mordac was being entirely serious, especially when he said Hoddle "always refused to pick them".

the meeja yet again having a go.
    you wonder sometimes if it's just that the editors don't get enough free tickets for the games...

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
    How was Hoddle prejudiced against disabled people?
    Tabloid crap again.
    I don't think Mordac was being entirely serious, especially when he said Hoddle "always refused to pick them".

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    So again I say, what does the Notw think they're doing undermining him?
    Informing those who wish to know about side of Sven they would not have known otherwise - that's called public service since Sven's job is so important to the public.

Great job NoTW - next time try Tony Blair to find out who he will manage after 2006.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Well they didn't win it last time because

Originally posted by AtW
    If its so much easier to win the World Cup then why did not England win it for some time? It clearly is not! Not least because you get a shot every 4 years, not ever year - that's a rather long period of time that is sure appreciated by Svens of this world who could make a nice living without producing results, ffs, he takes you for mugs and you defending him!
    his team bottled it (or you could blame him). England should have beaten Brazil but seemed not to want to. Go figure. And I don't pay his wages, But once again it comes down to the fact that his record stands as the best England coach for along long time. And again, it's too late in the day to consider swapping coaches.
    So again I say, what does the Notw think they're doing undermining him?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    it's much easier to win a cup (any cup) than a league. FFS look at France!!!!
    If its so much easier to win the World Cup then why did not England win it for some time? It clearly is not! Not least because you get a shot every 4 years, not ever year - that's a rather long period of time that is sure appreciated by Svens of this world who could make a nice living without producing results, ffs, he takes you for mugs and you defending him!

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Actually once you reach the finals

Originally posted by AtW
    Premiership is not as extreme as World Championship - you either world Champion or you not, 2nds don't count, it also happens much rarer than premiership and last far longer - who would remember outside of UK who was Premiership champion 5 years ago? But World Cup will last for decades - that's why standards should be much higher.

btw, Ferguson certainly will get sack next season if he won't perform.
    it's much easier to win a cup (any cup) than a league. FFS look at France!!!!
    Perhaps Sven is just unlucky.......

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It doesn't sound a professional approach to me.
    Premiership is not as extreme as World Championship - you either world Champion or you not, 2nds don't count, it also happens much rarer than premiership and last far longer - who would remember outside of UK who was Premiership champion 5 years ago? But World Cup will last for decades - that's why standards should be much higher.

btw, Ferguson certainly will get sack next season if he won't perform.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    I think its a worthy extremis - only those who have no real chance to be #1 will consider #2 or less success - it seems to me that English fans desire to win the tournament, its the ultimate game of take it all or nothing.

Given this I think its perfectly acceptable to sack coach in most cases of not winning #1 place, some exceptions could be very dubious decisions by referee like it was in 2004 when goal was disallowed - though coach was responsible for losing other games England should have won, so that single instance can't excuse Sven.

Given that the result is ultimate win or lose, it seems to me that it makes sense to take chance, you has to risk, even if it takes unknown manager from Wigan - its better than known average of Sven who may well qualify but he just ain't good to achieve the result that matters - #1 place.
    If this happened, the coaches of all but one of the leading teams would enter every international tournament with no experience of managing their team in international tournaments.

By that reasoning, club managers should be sacked too, if they do not attain number one position in their league. Assuming that only four have a chance of winning the premiership, that would mean that Benitez, Ferguson and Wenger would have been sacked last May, and their successors will be sacked next May. If Chelsea slip up the year after, Mourinho would be sacked, and so on.

It doesn't sound a professional approach to me.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Hang on, hang on

Originally posted by Mordac
    >Hoddle was much better

Rubbish, he was prejudiced against disabled people and always refused to pick them. Rooney would never have got a game.

How was Hoddle prejudiced against disabled people?
    Tabloid crap again.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Alexei, when I said that a good club manager is not necessarily a good national manager, I was referring to Mourinho, who you were suggesting that every fan in England should pay a tenner to hire.
    And I won't dispute that - but I'd give chance to a successful club manager to show himself at being a national manager - same chance Sven had and same chance IMO he blown - if his team gets to lose 4 - 1 to Wales (!) and then some other country and then losing in friendlies which according to Sven do not matter (!), then clearly a replacement is well overdue - it should not have taken so long and IMO he should have been sacked in 2004, if not ealier.

I mean, WTF is going on in football -- all across the UK conditions for work are pretty harsh - a lot of people will lose their job if they won't perform very well, heck, a lot of project are done so that people will get sacked if project won't succeed REGARDLESS of individual input, why should be there much better conditions for such a high profile job?

If you can do it - fecking prove it every game, play it like it the last Final game before becoming #1! If players can't or won't want to work hard every time they play then replace them - no exceptions.

And one more - anybody who earns like £5 mln per year, or even £1 mln should STFU and stop complaining about newspapers writing stuff about them - it was his big mouth that told the words that were printed, he is not exactly officially retarded person who can't be held responsible for his words.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X