• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Rochdale

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rochdale"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    "A 'n F Software" of "Chuckie Egg" fame used to be based in Rochdale.
    no really - I used to spend hours on that game -- on the Acorn Electron

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of workshops for craftspeople and schools for teaching the kind of job that new Labour have neglected in favour of sending everyone to ‘university’, like plumbers, electricians, carpenters, metalworkers and so on.
    They have a bit of an arty emphasis, but there are a couple of converted textile mills in West Yorkshire which have been a success - Dean Clough, Halifax and Salts Mill, Saltaire.

There are a few places over here which have the same idea, mainly for hi-tech industry. There are some beautiful old mill buildings which convert nicely to pleasant and airy offices.

According to an accountant I used in the UK, the tax system is more favourable to ripping down such places and building anew, which is a shame.
    Last edited by Sysman; 29 April 2010, 12:58.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    you will probably find that although the profits are shared amongst the members the co-op itself is very much run by a self confessed capitalist.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    Portly chap on the bottom left is actually Les Dawson isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    "A 'n F Software" of "Chuckie Egg" fame used to be based in Rochdale.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    They could convert them into luxury flats for immigrants.
    I was thinking more along the lines of workshops for craftspeople and schools for teaching the kind of job that new Labour have neglected in favour of sending everyone to ‘university’, like plumbers, electricians, carpenters, metalworkers and so on.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I hope that someone will find a use for some of the old factory buildings, some of which are fantastic examples of industrial architecture and absolutely worth preserving.
    They could convert them into luxury flats for immigrants.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    There are some very charming spots along the Rochdale canal. Well worth pulling on your hiking boots for a day.

I hope that someone will find a use for some of the old factory buildings, some of which are fantastic examples of industrial architecture and absolutely worth preserving.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Oh. I thought this was going to be about Rochdale being promoted for only the second time in 100 years.
    I was going to put in a clever comment about all the foreign players that helped them get there, but according to Wiki, they have one Scottish player and every single other player is English.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    And the home of the Infamous Swamp Donkey of Immortal Memory.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...mp-donkey.html
    Oh I'd forgotten that: 'Cuthbert' is a demeaning name in Rochdale.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    OK, I'll take a stab - 2nd from the right, at the bottom?

He's big enough on both directions to fit the bill.

On 2nd thoughts far left at the bottom looks like he's thinking about his next pie.
    Nah..........has to be the one in the front middle, sitting at the controls of what looks suspiciously like a prototype Time Machine.
    That'll be Churchy's GG 2nd right at the bottom. The one that looks like a Bull-Buggerer!!

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    One of mine (and IIRC Churchill's, incidentally) great-n-grandads is in this picture:

OK, I'll take a stab - 2nd from the right, at the bottom?

He's big enough on both directions to fit the bill.

On 2nd thoughts far left at the bottom looks like he's thinking about his next pie.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    If Rochdale is Labour's downfall, it would be quite ironic.

Rochdale was the birthplace of the Co-Operative movement...
    One of mine (and IIRC Churchill's, incidentally) great-n-grandads is in this picture:

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    If Rochdale is Labour's downfall, it would be quite ironic.

Rochdale was the birthplace of the Co-Operative movement...

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Oh. I thought this was going to be about Rochdale being promoted for only the second time in 100 years.
    Doh! Maybe that was what he meant

Leave a comment:

Working...
X