• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "holiday during a contract"

Collapse

• Jaws
    replied
    I had the same problem a couple of years ago, got the offer and my desired rate so I told the agent at that point. Unfortunately they were due to put a release in over those weeks so I lost the contract. That said, the agent contacts me regularly now because he knows I can be successful at interviews (or I like to think so anyway).

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Before you attempt subtlety, you might want to try and grasp punctuation and grammar. You post like a Twelve-year-old.
    i see celic got humped today

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I take holidays now and then...oh no!!! You mean I shouldn't do that!!
    Seriously though, I'm sure most clients understand that...but as other posters have said...it may affect their plans and it is perhaps something that should have been mentioned sooner.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Isnt it the case that you will not be paid for the duration of the time you are on holiday ? If so, what is the problem?
    The problem is that the client may have had plans for you to be present during that period, and may well see that presence as part of your side of the contract. Whether that is because he thinks of you as an employee who is required to be present unless his absence is authorised, or just because he requires the services of your company then, is irrelevant. He is very likely to see you as being in breach, and will act accordingly. Logic is unlikely to sway him.

If that and its consequences don't bother you, go ahead. At least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you are right.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Isnt it the case that you will not be paid for the duration of the time you are on holiday ? If so, what is the problem?

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Busted

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravello View Post
    Busted

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    "almost infallible" presumably means "fallible" which (also presumably) means that you are suggesting that your original proposition was wrong.... which is strange for a pedant!

But you are right with the on-topic comment.

Personally I have never had an issue with time off during contracts.... I tell them about it when I "think it's right" and it seems to work itself out...

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    See, it's almost infallible...

Getting back on topic.
    Warn them up front or run the risk of termination for some made up reason when they find out.
    "almost infallible" presumably means "fallible" which (also presumably) means that you are suggesting that your original proposition was wrong.... which is strange for a pedant!

But you are right with the on-topic comment.

Personally I have never had an issue with time off during contracts.... I tell the about it when I "think it's right" and it seems to work itself out...

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    As you are a raving pedant I assume you meant "on the bum".
    See, it's almost infallible...

Getting back on topic.
    Warn them up front or run the risk of termination for some made up reason when they find out.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Don't worry about this as not relevant to the posting. mrdonuts - tell client co you have time booked off before you start the contract, not once you have just started it - if client co feel you are the right porson to be offered the contract then they should be flexible enough to allow the two week break, especially if you have already booked somewhere to go as opposed to just having 2 weeks at home. But tell them UP FRONT.
    I'd tell them (very politely, but definitely not ask them) before they commit to the contract, but after you are chosen. Not before being offered the contract: there is no need to reduce your value to them while you are still just a candidate. But at that stage (after you are offered it but before you sign it and start) they can still decide whether to take you on those terms, or not.

You must be clear to yourself what you will do if the answer is no. Is the contract more important than the time off, or vice versa? Most contractors' difficulty with pre-planned time off is that they don't want to face up to this question, so they seek a solution to the other question, how can I do the contract but make sure that I get the time off? The answer to that is that you can't.

Finally, the difficult response to your announcement would be "I can't tell you yet". That's when you have to decide who is ruling your time. If it's you, you say that you simply are not available at that time, and can only do the contract on those terms.
    Last edited by expat; 9 April 2010, 09:15.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Originally Posted by mrdonuts
    if you have a summer holiday booked for a spell during a shiny new contract, whats the best way to handle it

im thinking just start the contract then break it to them that im off for a couple of weeks holiday and could they just put the project on hold till then

or is their some other more subtle approach to be used

Before you attempt subtlety, you might want to try and grasp punctuation and grammar. You post like a Twelve-year-old.

Don't worry about this as not relevant to the posting. mrdonuts - tell client co you have time booked off before you start the contract, not once you have just started it - if client co feel you are the right porson to be offered the contract then they should be flexible enough to allow the two week break, especially if you have already booked somewhere to go as opposed to just having 2 weeks at home. But tell them UP FRONT.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Indeedy, as a raving pedant that one bites me in the bum on a frequent basis.
    As you are a raving pedant I assume you meant "on the bum".

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    I'm getting married at the end of June and taking 2 weeks off for honeymoon.

Am starting a new contract a week or so into May.

Here's hoping that things are smooth and settled by end of June.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
    Muphry's law strikes again.
    Indeedy, as a raving pedant that one bites me in the bum on a frequent basis.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X