• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Somebody’s about to jump off the building"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    A friend of mine’s a journalist for NOS Radio 2; he says there’s an unwritten rule in the Dutch press to not give press attention to such suicides to avoid provoking others who might be considering the same thing. Decide for yourself on the logic of that. I also know that when people jump in front of a train, which happens quite often, the train company announce it neutrally by saying there was an ‘aanrijding’ or ‘collision’. You could get the impression that trains are constantly crashing in Holland, but in reality they’re saying there was a suicide.
    The same happens in Switzerland except they use another euphemism. Many know what they mean though.
    Last edited by Sysman; 31 March 2010, 16:36.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post

My grandad worked on the railways for years, he was deputy station master at Paddington in the late 60's.

One of his jobs, along with kicking in the doors of toilet cubicles and dragging out the junkies who'd od'd in there, was helping recover the bodies after a "one under". By the time the trains had finished with them they came out in chunks, not entirely dissimilar to the large vacuum packed joints you get in a supermarket.
    I recall a story told by an ex-Met copper from the days of steam trains. The fire brigade was busy putting out a fire on a railway track caused by red hot coals being spat out of a train funnel.

Two trains came past at full speed in opposite directions with the firemen standing in the gap in between the tracks.

Same result apparently.
    Last edited by Sysman; 31 March 2010, 16:36.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Did you spill your pasta?
    No I was far too south for pasta. Try penguin burger.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Ah I see. Is this because lower temperature = higher density or is it more complex than that?
    More complex. Varying density doesn't really come into play in a gas.

"An analysis based on conservation of mass and momentum shows that the speed of sound a is equal to the square root of the ratio of specific heats g times the gas constant R times the temperature T.

a = sqrt [g * R * T] "

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Wrong. Speed of sound decreases with height due to lowering temperature, until you hit a temperature inversion higher up.

I know this as I have travelled through the sound barrier.
    Did you spill your pasta?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Oh FFS.

Ok, here we go.

I was referencing the bloke who was going to attempt the highest freefall jump. It was estimated that he would break the sound barrier on his way down.

Doodab obviously understand what I meant.

SY01, stick to wringing your hands like a fairy as your project turns to ratsh!t.
    chillax dude

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Wrong. Speed of sound decreases with height due to lowering temperature, until you hit a temperature inversion higher up.

Ah I see. Is this because lower temperature = higher density or is it more complex than that?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    that is what supersonic means.

HTH
    Oh FFS.

Ok, here we go.

I was referencing the bloke who was going to attempt the highest freefall jump. It was estimated that he would break the sound barrier on his way down.

Doodab obviously understand what I meant.

SY01, stick to wringing your hands like a fairy as your project turns to ratsh!t.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    At terminal velocity, the drag force is by definition equal to the gravitational force. Gravity is slightly weaker at altitude because you are further from the earth, but at those sorts of heights it's not going to be that much weaker and the lower air density would dominate.
    Yes, at equilibrium (terminal velocity) the drag force is the same at any height - equal and opposite to your weight. At higher altitude free-fall, prior to equilibrium, you accelerate faster. Ergo there is less of a drag force acting on you at higher altitudes, even though you accelerate and travel faster through thinner air. So limbs do not appear to be in any more danger of being shaken off at greater height as a consequence of attaining greater speed than at lower altitudes. Once at equilibrium (terminal velocity), the drag forces are the same at any height.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Did that chap break the sound barrier?
    that is what supersonic means.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Apparently not. Of course the speed of sound increases with the decreasing air density so it's quite a bit higher at altitude.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-freefall.html

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Apparently not. Of course the speed of sound increases with the decreasing air density so it's quite a bit higher at altitude.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-freefall.html

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Indeed.

Terminal velocity can be supersonic if you're high enough up.

As in falling from a balloon at 100,000ft*.

*don't try this at home.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Seems unlikely to me, but I suppose there is an outside chance your limbs might shake off. Your terminal velocity would of course be lower than "hundreds of miles an hour" at lower altitudes, and at higher elevations would be greater because the atmosphere is thinner, but drag forces would also be less at height and I can't be arsed to do the calculations.
    At terminal velocity, the drag force is by definition equal to the gravitational force. Gravity is slightly weaker at altitude because you are further from the earth, but at those sorts of heights it's not going to be that much weaker and the lower air density would dominate.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Which is where the Terminal bit in Terminal Velocity comes from
    Err, no it ain't. But good one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X