• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Some bad news

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Some bad news"

Collapse

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    To the OP, I hope your brother finds something soon. We need more science teachers. Could he try his hand at tutoring while looking?
    I'll suggest that to him when I see him next at the weekend

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Science teaching in this country depresses me. It is no longer a requirement to teach separate sciences at secondary school. You get taught some sort of general science bollocks. The only way to get a good science education is grammer school - if you are in an 11+ area or fork out huge sums to go private
    >PAH<

We'll be drowning in nail technicians and holistic healing practitioners by 2020
    Time to implement 'B' Ark!

The concept does need a few amendments, such as extra sections for politicians and Non-Job Occupiers. The Meeja Studies lot can have their own Ark.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
    grammar

HTH
    Slow day eh?

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Science teaching in this country depresses me. It is no longer a requirement to teach separate sciences at secondary school. You get taught some sort of general science bollocks. The only way to get a good science education is grammer school - if you are in an 11+ area or fork out huge sums to go private
    >PAH<

We'll be drowning in nail technicians and holistic healing practitioners by 2020
    grammar

HTH

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    When I was at school I had to explain what terminal velocity was to a newly qualified general science teacher who was covering a physics class.

I also won a mars bar for building the strongest bridge from 10mm x 10mm balsa and PVA glue, the 80kg of weights made a nice dink in the floor when it finally collapsed.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    >PAH<

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Ummm, geography teachers? Ummm, geographers have been known to do some useful stuff you know.
    If you've a spare week or so check out this narrative of Robert Fitz-Roy, captain of the Beagle and companion of Darwin on the famous voyage. Aside from surveying and his speculation he attempts to reconcile his religious views, e.g. creationism and the Great Deluge, with what he sees, and in the end backs religion, but it's a good if lengthy read anyway. He topped himself in the end and thought Darwin was the instrument of the devil, which is a shame as they got along during much of the voyage.

Darwin's account is also available on-line.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang View Post
    They sure are. When I was on the bench and getting concerned, I looked into it. I rehistered with TDA and since then I keep getting bombarded with marketing material - good quality stiff too - telling me how much (little?!) I could be earning and why dont I consider a career in teaching. As a science or maths teacher you can get seevral thousands for your training and your first year.
    Hope you are not considering being an English teacher!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
    We've all got Sat Nav these days - why do you need to study geography?
    Well, the developments in cartography, spatial demographics, water management...oh **** it I can't be bothered, except to say geographers do some quite useful stuff and still find time to post on CUK. You can figure out for yourself what that useful stuff is.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Ummm, geography teachers? Ummm, geographers have been known to do some useful stuff you know.
    We've all got Sat Nav these days - why do you need to study geography?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Bad news indeed. Science teachers are so necessary. Get rid of the geography teachers for goodness sake!

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Aren't they still paying golden hellos for people training as maths/science teachers?
    They sure are. When I was on the bench and getting concerned, I looked into it. I rehistered with TDA and since then I keep getting bombarded with marketing material - good quality stiff too - telling me how much (little?!) I could be earning and why dont I consider a career in teaching. As a science or maths teacher you can get seevral thousands for your training and your first year.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
    But one of Labours new policies - should they get re-elected - is to turn Britain into a high tech economy.

How does sacking expensive (English) science teachers fit in with this?
    Cheaper to put him on the dole and hire an Indian or two. Simples.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Correction - last in first out.
    Typical public sector. Nothing to do with whether or not anyone is any good at their job... shame.

J

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Ah.

The White Heat of the Technological Revolution.

Whatever happened to that?
    KUATB!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X