• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tax avoidance scheme..."

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Good topic.

On my immigration forum, well not mine, just a place where I post, having a foreign missus, I get a few EU folks (Romanian) wanting to relocate to UK cos they earn their wonga via online poker, 30k pa plus, citing that they wouldn't have to pay tax in UK, so therefore if what u say is correct (I've no reason to doubt) - they must pay tax?

Where is the skill/chance line?
    Good question. IIRC there was case in the High court about a pro poker player / HMRC dispute. Not sure who was arguing what line though.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    It's like those lottery-like draws they run on the telly. In order for them to not be classed as a lottery, they have to have an element of skill. They get away with questions like that as some folk actually ring up with the wrong answer.

Whether it's skill or knowledge is a semantic point.
    Good topic.

On my immigration forum, well not mine, just a place where I post, having a foreign missus, I get a few EU folks (Romanian) wanting to relocate to UK cos they earn their wonga via online poker, 30k pa plus, citing that they wouldn't have to pay tax in UK, so therefore if what u say is correct (I've no reason to doubt) - they must pay tax?

Where is the skill/chance line?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Well how about we bet on an extreme short odds flutter? Like whether sasguru is being headhunted or not?

Anyway where's the skill in Beckham's wife? It's knowledge, not skill?
    It's like those lottery-like draws they run on the telly. In order for them to not be classed as a lottery, they have to have an element of skill. They get away with questions like that as some folk actually ring up with the wrong answer.

Whether it's skill or knowledge is a semantic point.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    That's a game of skill - hence there is a tax to pay...

Nice idea, but still a fail.
    Well how about we bet on an extreme short odds flutter? Like whether sasguru is being headhunted or not?

Anyway where's the skill in Beckham's wife? It's knowledge, not skill?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    how do you keep 210litres of wine? demijohns?
    No mate, you marry an Irish girl.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    As gambling is tax-free - I've always wondered if it's worth gambling for one's wage/salary/contract?

U know, boss/ClientCo says u get your money if you can answer the following question;

What is the name of David Beckham's wife?

1. Queen Victoria, Empress of India, died 1901.

2. Victoria Beckham, wife of David Beckham.

3. Victoria Station, London, not an actual person.

Get it right, u get your money, get it wrong, well, there's always next week...

No tax!
    That's a game of skill - hence there is a tax to pay...

Nice idea, but still a fail.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    I use the Cantina 5-day kits mailorder from these guys.
    http://thebrewshopuk.com/index1.html

You only need to add water (no sugar) to make 30 bottles. Pretty good wine and less than £1 per bottle.
    how do you keep 210litres of wine? demijohns?

Leave a comment:

• DonkeyRhubarb
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Not bad at all and far better than you remember from the days of Boots' kits. Go for it.
    I use the Cantina 5-day kits mailorder from these guys.
    http://thebrewshopuk.com/index1.html

You only need to add water (no sugar) to make 30 bottles. Pretty good wine and less than £1 per bottle.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    As gambling is tax-free - I've always wondered if it's worth gambling for one's wage/salary/contract?

U know, boss/ClientCo says u get your money if you can answer the following question;

What is the name of David Beckham's wife?

1. Queen Victoria, Empress of India, died 1901.

2. Victoria Beckham, wife of David Beckham.

3. Victoria Station, London, not an actual person.

Get it right, u get your money, get it wrong, well, there's always next week...

No tax!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Not bad at all and far better than you remember from the days of Boots' kits. Go for it.
    Dunno, them kits, where you just pour water in the bag and wait a few days are pretty darn good.

If you can remember the day after that is.

I buy them from the home brew stall on Doncaster fish market.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I was thinking of starting to home brew to be honest myself. Save a bloody fortune on wine.

Suityou. What's your stuff like?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Its neither. You are allowed to home brew for yourself. It only becomes an issue for duty if you attempt to sell it.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I'm curious as to whether this would be classified as tax avoidance or evasion?

If fact what exactly is tax avoidance?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I was thinking of starting to home brew to be honest myself. Save a bloody fortune on wine.

Suityou. What's your stuff like?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    http://www.howtomakecider.com/cider_intro.php

Keep this on the down low folks - we don't want hector getting wind of it
    One of the Caesars brought a tax on beer in and tried to force everyone to buy their beer from the state monopoly when they started to home-brew.

So much home-brew in fact, that he then brought in a tax on what you should have bought, a 'deemed to have brewed' tax.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X