• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Need to rent a car at Heathrow, which hire company to use ?"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Is it a UK one? My UK gold amex didn't cover that.

As it happens I ditched it because it didn't do much else for me either. Age 21, apply for Amex card. Age 31, apply for Gold Amex card. Age 51, burn Amex card.
    It's a platinum charge card. Costs £300 a year, but includes pretty comprehansive travel insurance for family, and any supplementary card holders (up to 5). Also get free lounge access at most airports.

Their rewards program is pretty good too.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    My Amex does that. Saves a goodly fortune every time.
    Is it a UK one? My UK gold amex didn't cover that.

As it happens I ditched it because it didn't do much else for me either. Age 21, apply for Amex card. Age 31, apply for Gold Amex card. Age 51, burn Amex card.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Also, dunno if it works on the Thrifty UK site, but a RENT25 code on the NZ one, (booking a couple of weeks in advance) gives a 25% discount.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Cheaper still if your credit card covers collision damage waiver, which even ordinary cards from some countries do, and gold cards from most countries do. Not cards from Britain, of course. They don't call it Treasure Island for nothing.
    My Amex does that. Saves a goodly fortune every time.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
    have a look for a screenscraper / money supermarket type place - there will be a few mentioned on moneysavingexpert.com.

That's what I do - and it's often cheaper to arrange an annual hire car insurance policy than taking their standard insurance for a week or so (particularly in the States).
    Cheaper still if your credit card covers collision damage waiver, which even ordinary cards from some countries do, and gold cards from most countries do. Not cards from Britain, of course. They don't call it Treasure Island for nothing.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
    have a look for a screenscraper / money supermarket type place - there will be a few mentioned on moneysavingexpert.com.

That's what I do - and it's often cheaper to arrange an annual hire car insurance policy than taking their standard insurance for a week or so (particularly in the States).
    I've used http://www.fastcarhire.co.uk/ and http://www.carhire3000.com/ to compare prices and book in the past.

Leave a comment:

• Netraider
    replied
    and it's often cheaper to arrange an annual hire car insurance policy than taking their standard insurance for a week or so (particularly in the States).
    WHS - I have an annual car insurance policy - £49

Leave a comment:

• Netraider
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    thanks Netraider,

just had a look

flip's sake, Avis are asking for a passat....

Pay Now price £277.50
    Pay Later price £383.24

+ £32 / child seat / day

Thrifty are asking £145 for a passat for the same period !

we'll bring our own child seats.

Looks like Thrifty is the one

Milan.
    Sorry about that. I normally hire from non London airports, and they are normally quite competetive.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    thanks Netraider,

just had a look

feck's sake, Avis are asking for a passat....

Pay Now price £277.50
    Pay Later price £383.24

+ £32 / child seat / day

Thrifty are asking £145 for a passat for the same period !

we'll bring our own child seats.

Looks like Thrifty is the one

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Netraider
    replied
    I use Avis every week. Use this code to get the best deal they are doing that day. K109590

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Sixt have passats . Don't know about the prices though.

Leave a comment:

• Need to rent a car at Heathrow, which hire company to use ?

Afternoon All,

apologies for being away last week, it was the annual Benes family Skiing holiday.

Whoooaaaghhhh we're coming to Blighty in April and need to rent a family sized saloon at Heathrow.

Which is the best, this means, cheapest, hire car company to use ?

Thanks,

Milan.

Working...
X