• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I’ve got this Pheasant."

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    I clipped a pheasant on "The Isle of Skye Road" just over't th'ill from where I live. I was doing about seventy as it glanced off the front pillar - the daft bastard was chasing the female that took off before it.

I stopped, reversed and put the bugger in the car and sold it to one of the regulars in't pub. Sorted!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    ok, with you,

'Definitely a pheasant. It was taking off at right angles to me and was just at number plate height when I heard the thump.',

my guidance was assuming the bird is walking across the road, granted the symptoms your car endured are commonly related to hitting a bird in flight.

Having a rest very nice, I'm gonna do that too, but hopefully not for a few years yet, too much .Net to do and too many plans for the proceeds - fingers crossed eh.

Aren't you in DE, probably not far from me these days.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    are you sure it wasn't a sheep or a deer to inflict the damage you described ?
    Milan.
    Definitely a pheasant. It was taking off at right angles to me and was just at number plate height when I heard the thump.

A deer would have been a different matter. One did jump across the road in front of me one morning. That was truly impressive - it came over a wall and with a single leap cleared the 5 foot wall on the other side of the road.

Gone before I could even think about touching the brakes.

how are you anyway ?
    Thanks for asking.

Fine, but now on the bench and taking a bit of time out to recover from the living hell the last place had become. Gawd it was depressing there at the end.

But established some records:

1. Longer than any permie job I ever had.
    2. Longest time at the same desk in the same office, despite the usual reorganizations.
    3. No living out of a suitcase for extended periods.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    oh dear

are you sure it wasn't a sheep or a deer to inflict the damage you described ?

or perhaps it was a dream

how are you anyway ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    sysman,

you are not from the country and you've never done that have you

please continue

Milan.
    Is it still panto season?

Oh yes I have.

Leave a comment:

• planetit
    replied
    +++Pheasant update Pheasant update Pheasant update+++

The Pheasant is now an ex-pheasant. I went down the “skin it without plucking it” route, which was pretty easy and not so messy. Removing the guts was also pretty easy, though “sticking your hand UP its bum” is not really how I’d describe it. It’s more “inside the abdomen”. And as for “Hope you have a small appetite”, I think Milan’s right. You must have had a pigeon. 1 pheasant was more than enough as a meal for 2. Even got some leftovers for tea tonight.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    sysman,

you are not from the country and you've never done that have you

please continue

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Planet IT,

road kill does not necessarily mean schnitzel, if it does then best to leave the bird, but with some practice, skill and judgement, you should be able to line up the bird with the middle of the car and therefore not run over it with the wheels

Milan.
    and:

a) watch pieces of your front number plate bouncing off the road through your mirrors.

b) by the time you have retrieved enough of the number plate to make the car look legal, the pheasant has regained conciousness and limped off through a barbed wire fence.

c) on the country road which has only about 10 cars per hour at that time of day, all 20 of them have stopped to laugh their socks off at you and wish you better luck next time.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    It was scrummy. I've found a link for a very similar recipe (I didn't actually add the tea leaves like this one does)...

Shrimp With Green Tea Leaves

As to the butter, I'm going to use organic cream rather than milk. Unpasteurised milk is as hard to come by as rocking horse sh1t unless you work in the cheese industry.
    Last edited by Lucifer Box; 6 January 2006, 16:14.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Fantastic LB - I will definately try the marinade prawns this weekend. Let me know how you get on with your butter. Where do you get the "hopefully unpasteurised) raw milk from?

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Off the top of my head, the aforemention pheasant casseroled in green tea (amongst other things). Lime mousse with green tea was an extremely scrummy desert I made once, a bit like a rich sorbet. Stir fried king prawns that I marinaded in some green tea, stock, soy sauce and sesame oil - that was lovely and is a recipe I got off a waiter in a restaurant in Chinatown. Ordinary tea, of course, has a long and distinguished place in cake making.

I'm going to try making my own butter next week. Apparently very easy and then I can use the buttermilk that comes off to make some sodabread.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Well, if you were a Cha Wallah I'd be most impressed!

No, what dishes have you cooked with green tea - I'm intrigued to learn more.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    Never cooked with Green Tea (although I drink it daily) - what do you do LB?
    Do you mean as a day job or with green tea?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Never cooked with Green Tea (although I drink it daily) - what do you do LB?

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    couldn't, "a mixture of orange juice, wine, walnuts, grapes and tea ", have been abbreviated to, last night's dish water ?

The fairy liquid gives the pheasant a bit of a acrid taste, don't you know.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X