• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Happy St Patricks Day"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I am yet to acquire a taste for Guinness despite trying several times
    I'm on half a pint a day right now to help get some iron back into my blood.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I find if I'm hungover, it settles my stomach but, it's not my fave.
    Sushi!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I find if I'm hungover, it settles my stomach but, it's not my fave.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I'm sure a lot of the pubs have closed down.

The two nearest where I live went recently, though one may be resurrected.
    It's been a few years but there was one place we used to go to that had a darts area out the back and was very much an old mans pub.

Doesn't help that my mate I used to visit now lives in Northampton

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Manchester is bad enough - it's seems every Plastic Paddy within a 50 mile radius is here.

Not sure Dublin would be that great an idea - if you are in town, it's full of foreigners celebrating as opposed to locals. If you wanted an authentic piss up - you'd be better off down the country or down west.
    All the yanks go to Galway now

Might explain why I haven't been "home" for paddys day in 17 years. (and the fact that vermin air charge you an arm and a leg to get there around that date, I need both arms and both legs thank you very much)

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Ze vithered arm puts people off.

Zat and cries of "Heng ze Kaiser".

ftfy

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    What is a shame though is that the English don't seem to be able to celebrate St Georges Day Ye should have a bigger sense of National Pride, IMO but it seems the flag and stuff has been so hijacked by the hooligans, it's like ye aren't allowed to reclaim it - As I said, shame
    I think you're spot on there, we should reclaim our flag. Anyway, have a happy St. Patricks Day.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Manchester is bad enough - it's seems every Plastic Paddy within a 50 mile radius is here.

Not sure Dublin would be that great an idea - if you are in town, it's full of foreigners celebrating as opposed to locals. If you wanted an authentic piss up - you'd be better off down the country or down west.
    Given my Teutonic heritage, I’ve suggested ve should hold a Kaiser Wilhelm day in ze Englandersland, but it doesn’t seem to catch on.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    You should be thankful you don't live anywhere near Glasgow then.

I keep telling myself, this time next year I'm going to head over to Dublin and do it properly. Then it always seems to come round again and I'm stuck typing away at a bloody keyboard.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    It's why I don't bother going out anywhere on St Patricks day, it seems to be yet another excuse for non Irish people to get bladdered and go to fake Irish pubs.
    (I got invited to an o'neils pub to "drinkies" as they phrased it, but turned it down as I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those horrible chain pubs).

I'm being ironic in choosing to drink this, since he was Welsh I really should go and get a few bottles of this
    According to wikibulltulipia he was English. He was born in the Roman settlement of Bannavem Taberniae, which is thought to be in Cumbria, and is the Romano-Gaelic term for ‘Banned from all the Taverns’. That’s why he left for Ireland; off to look for a decent pub without any bicycles hanging on the walls.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    I agree - don't mind the Irish pubs making a big deal of it but don't get the plastic paddy's at all.
    You should be thankful you don't live anywhere near Glasgow then.

I keep telling myself, this time next year I'm going to head over to Dublin and do it properly. Then it always seems to come round again and I'm stuck typing away at a bloody keyboard.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I can heartily recommend http://www.sabrain.com/beers/take-home/the-rev-james

It's almost as good as the Buckley's beer of the same name.

But not quite.

Though that may simply be nostalgia for my lost early middle age.
    They haven't got that one locally, only brains and SA gold.

I miss going to visit friends in Mumbles, and all the nice pubs and decent beer.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    That was North Wales then.

This might solve it

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Apart from the obvious; an excuse for getting totally bladdered, why do the English make such a big deal about St. Patricks Day?
    It's why I don't bother going out anywhere on St Patricks day, it seems to be yet another excuse for non Irish people to get bladdered and go to fake Irish pubs.
    (I got invited to an o'neils pub to "drinkies" as they phrased it, but turned it down as I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those horrible chain pubs).

I'm being ironic in choosing to drink this, since he was Welsh I really should go and get a few bottles of this

Leave a comment:

Working...
X