• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Considering a car lease...."

Collapse

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    The problem with these leasing schemes is that you get hit with a bill at the end for "repairs to bring up to standard". They're usually used by people to buy cars they can't affoard. There's always payback somewhere.
    whs the cleanup bill even if the car is spotless will be much bigger than they will lead you to believe.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    I am likely to be here for the next 3 years or so, so looking at my travel options, which is driving, as no other option to get here.

High mileage - around 40K per year.

Got my focus 2 years ago now, like it a lot, comfortable, but, about to need to spend £700 on tyres, service etc.

Can sell to webuyanycar for £6500, and lease a diesel Astra for around £200 per month for the next 3 years, unlimited miles. Used car with 15K's on.

Debating what to do:

1. Keep Focus until it dies, and when it does die, consider leasing then
    2. Sell, bank the money and lease for the cheap as chips deal, if I can hack an Astra. Option to buy at end of the lease meaning will probably pick up the 200K miles car for nothing.

Easy option is to keep my Focus, but a lot of depreciation will be had there.....
    So your dilemma is whether to trade in an old bland rep mobile for a new bland rep mobile.

Hmm, tough one that.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    I am likely to be here for the next 3 years or so, so looking at my travel options, which is driving, as no other option to get here.

Got my focus 2 years ago now, like it a lot, comfortable, but, about to need to spend £700 on tyres, service etc.

Can sell to webuyanycar for £6500, and lease a diesel Astra for around £200 per month for the next 3 years, unlimited miles. Used car with 15K's on.

Debating what to do:

2. Sell, bank the money and lease for the cheap as chips deal, if I can hack an Astra. Option to buy at end of the lease meaning will probably pick up the 200K miles car for nothing.

Easy option is to keep my Focus, but a lot of depreciation will be had there.....
    Do you own the Focus outright ? If so, it seems sensible to sell it for 6.5K to webuycrap.com () and bank this cash. However, if you lease that Astra you will end up paying 7.2K after the end of the lease term.

You seem to imply that you will not be in this country at end of three years, so it goes without saying that you are better off buying a Honda or Toyota with about 60K miles on the clock for about 3K and run it down for 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    The 40k a year mileage will kill it too, that's 25k over the norm, say three year lease, say 8p a mile is......

Six Grand!

That can't be right, can it.....

Or an extra 166 quid a month over the lease period on top the actual lease.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    There's a lot of demand at the moment. You can actually buy a similarly aged / specced Mondeo for less.

Christ on a bike knows why.
    You may well be right. I know my mum had real trouble trading in her Audi A6 recenlty. Dealers where stating that there's no demand for "big" cars at the moment due to credit crunch ...

Leave a comment:

• wingnut
    replied

Debating what to do:

Petrol or diesel? How many miles on the clock?

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    The problem with these leasing schemes is that you get hit with a bill at the end for "repairs to bring up to standard". They're usually used by people to buy cars they can't affoard. There's always payback somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    What about a nice Jaguar XK Coupe for under a grand a month:

Jag XK Leasing

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Even a mondeo’s better than riding to Bethlehem on a bike.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Ps is a focus worth 10,000? I'm guessing it's a sporty model or something. Or this is all made up.
    There's a lot of demand at the moment. You can actually buy a similarly aged / specced Mondeo for less.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Wilmslow's custom title should be

<<< canned laughter >>>

Come on admins!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

I say make Wilmslow GodLike right now!

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    What does the £200 a month actually cover? How much extra are you going to have to fork out over the three years - in two years time, are you going to find yourself in the same position but with an Astra rather than a Focus?
    Good point - Focus is the superior stead pof choice

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Debating what to do:

What does the £200 a month actually cover? How much extra are you going to have to fork out over the three years - in two years time, are you going to find yourself in the same position but with an Astra rather than a Focus?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    You've already done most of the depreciation on the Focus by buying it new. Run it til it's dead.
    Yep - just got rid of my last car with 189,000 miles on the clock

Leave a comment:

Working...
X