• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Expats

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Expats"

Collapse

• SlimRick
    replied
    My great great grandpa emmigrated to Oz - made a name for himself alright...
    http://www.nedkellysworld.com.au/bus...ogong_jack.htm

I think I might follow in his footsteps.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Does Australia have a hatful of British migrants (current generation) who have made a name for themselves in the way that Aussie migrants have done in the UK?
    One does not go to Australia to make one's name. You "make a name for yourselves" before you go, then the courts ship you there. At least that is how it used to work.
    And nothing wrong with that either.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
    I raise the average IQ if whichever country I happen to be in.
    To quote Robert Muldoon correctly* it is more the case that you raise the average IQ of every country that you leave.

*Granted he was not the first to use the quote but was the most relevant to the Aus/NZ migration question.
    The UK is handy for earning sterling which buys a lot back here, and for the easy access to europe for travel and holidays, but as for living there full-time, you gotta be kidding surely?
    Have you seen the exchange rate recently.

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Well does it?

Does Australia have a hatful of British migrants (current generation) who have made a name for themselves in the way that Aussie migrants have done in the UK?

None of those people you are thinking of emigrated to the UK. The just moved to London.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    The reason few brits excel in oz is because once they get here they discover the sun, beach, BBQ, and laid-back aussie lifestyle and actually chill out.
    Some might say that they have excelled in those circumstances ...

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Born in UK, emigrated to NZ, then back to the UK, now in oz, back to UK next year.

I raise the average IQ if whichever country I happen to be in.

The reason few brits excel in oz is because once they get here they discover the sun, beach, BBQ, and laid-back aussie lifestyle and actually chill out.

The UK is handy for earning sterling which buys a lot back here, and for the easy access to europe for travel and holidays, but as for living there full-time, you gotta be kidding surely?

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    I did it for the money.
    You were paid to leave!!
    I knew you were unpopular...... was it a CUK whip-round?

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I did it for the money.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I seem to remember hearing Leo Sayer on the radio talking about how he had moved to Australia because he got fed up of being told he couldn't do anything in the UK because he was a seventies star whose time had been and gone and preferred the can-do, go-for-it attitude that he found over there.

I don't think that you are comparing like with like though. Australia is a country that over the last twenty years or so has really been on an ascendent path, like Britain used to be in the nineteenth century, while Britain is on a slow path downwards. That is a shame but happens to everyone. Look at Rome now.

Australia is not now the cultural vacuum that it was even twenty years ago and I am sure that in our lifetimes we will see the relative positions between the UK and Australia reversed and Australia will be the place that Britons aspire to go to, not the other way around.
    You could apply the same argument to the UK and America and it'd hold as much water.

Bigger pond here, more opportunities etc etc.

I'd say as a rule that outside of celeb types and super achievers that you're average person who emigrates (In either direction) is usually more of a can do, go getter type than those who don't.

I'm not saying the ones who don't emigrate are bad or worse, just that there's something inherent about people who're willing to pack it all up and go that's seems to go hand and hand with that kind of attitude.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    On reading this article and in particular the last para I wondered which brits had emigrated to Australia and have actually achieved anything. My point being that people who emigrate from this country are losers and that the people who come here are people of substance.
    I seem to remember hearing Leo Sayer on the radio talking about how he had moved to Australia because he got fed up of being told he couldn't do anything in the UK because he was a seventies star whose time had been and gone and preferred the can-do, go-for-it attitude that he found over there.

I don't think that you are comparing like with like though. Australia is a country that over the last twenty years or so has really been on an ascendent path, like Britain used to be in the nineteenth century, while Britain is on a slow path downwards. That is a shame but happens to everyone. Look at Rome now.

Australia is not now the cultural vacuum that it was even twenty years ago and I am sure that in our lifetimes we will see the relative positions between the UK and Australia reversed and Australia will be the place that Britons aspire to go to, not the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    You’re trying to provoke me aren’t you DA?
    Would I?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Does that make up for all of those crap "can you tell what it is yet" cartoons?
    Only just, but yes.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Rolf Harris gave us one of the greatest drinking songs of all time.
    Does that make up for all of those crap "can you tell what it is yet" cartoons?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Crap argument DA. Can't think of any Australian who's made an impact on the UK.
    Can think of a Kiwi though: physicist Rutherford who won the Nobel prize.
    Rolf Harris gave us one of the greatest drinking songs of all time.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Crap argument DA. Can't think of any Australian who's made an impact on the UK.
    Can think of a Kiwi though: physicist Rutherford who won the Nobel prize.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X