• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cooked Spuds

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cooked Spuds"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    But they had large brains? Surely they were intelligent enough to throw together a quick seabass with smoked eel reduction and cockle with cucumber foam, lightly sprinkled with lime zest and accompanied by a glass of verdejo, just as the odd looking chef in Haarlem did last night?
    No , you are getting confused with Homo Erectus. Habilis or HAB were/are not that keen on fish.
    Homo Hab was not a great fan of the tuna munching

Plus the large brain bit is relative, they were probably cleverer than a labour minister, but not as clever as a dog, for example

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    no, we are talking Homo Habilis here, not Homo Jamie Oliver.

more like
    grunt = (oh fck , I dropped the sweet potatoes on the fire by accident. mm they taste quite nice actually)

rather than
    'would you like some bush chips with that dear ? gives you more energy when you have to fight that Mastadon you know'

But they had large brains? Surely they were intelligent enough to throw together a quick seabass with smoked eel reduction and cockle with cucumber foam, lightly sprinkled with lime zest and accompanied by a glass of verdejo, just as the odd looking chef in Haarlem did last night?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Oh, that clears it up. Did they make bush chips with them? Hmmm, delicious, especially with barbecued guinea fowl.
    no, we are talking Homo Habilis here, not Homo Jamie Oliver.

more like
    grunt = (oh fck , I dropped the sweet potatoes on the fire by accident. mm they taste quite nice actually)

rather than
    'would you like some bush chips with that dear ? gives you more energy when you have to fight that Mastadon you know'

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I think these were African sweet potatoes.

Oh, that clears it up. Did they make bush chips with them? Hmmm, delicious, especially with barbecued guinea fowl.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    <pedant alert>

I don’t know if spuds are the right example seeing as they were only found in the Americas until the 16th century. Turnips might be a better example.

</pedant alert>
    I think these were African sweet potatoes.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    <pedant alert>

I don’t know if spuds are the right example seeing as they were only found in the Americas until the 16th century. Turnips might be a better example.

</pedant alert>

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The limiting factor is the female pelvic opening vs brain size thingie.

Too big a brain & oooooops.
    maybe we should have a CUK competition to design the perfectly evolved human. i.e.

Long cylindrical head, to navigate the birth canal.
    Mouth situated on the ribcage to be closer to the stomache.
    An extra eyeball on the back of the head.
    A fat - burner button, to maintain a constant BMI

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    he had to get the right amount of spit in.

He didn't appear to do that with the cooked potato though.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Why did he do that? Surely he could've used a liquidiser - unnecessary.
    he had to get the right amount of spit in.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The limiting factor is the female pelvic opening vs brain size thingie.

Too big a brain & oooooops.
    Surely it's the female pelvic opening - or man's knowledge of such - that has stunted the development of the male brain.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Maltase I think.

Wasn't following it to much as I was killing terrorists and Russian ultra-nationalists at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Yes, but I don't envy the bloke that had to chew raw potato...

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied

Quite an interesting idea
    Yes, but I don't envy the bloke that had to chew raw potato...

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    started a topic Cooked Spuds

Cooked Spuds

Watched an interesting programme on telly last night
    Horizon - it asked whether cooking led to a leap forward in Human evolution.

'Homo habilis was about a metre tall with long, swinging arms – not much to look at, apparently, but clever. Habilis had a bigger brain (50% bigger) than his forebear, Australopithecus. Was this down to his diet?'

Basically the theory is that when you cook food, a spud for example, some of the components explode and make them increase dramatically in nutritional value. In addition, cooked food requires much less energy to process, so the body gains twice.

This massive surplus of energy meant that some of the weaker members of the population did not die out, so individuals with smaller guts, but big brains, now had a chance to survive. These individuals then did better, by virtue of the bigger brains , and so progressed in a self-stoking cycle. In the end, the population was left with the small-gutted big brained types that led on to us.

Quite an interesting idea

Working...
X