• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why does every Jobserve ad want C++ or Java"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    But the more I learn of Python the less I like it. For a start there's that daft retrograde aspect of indentation being vital to syntax.

Stupidest design of any programming language ever.

My problem tends to be that all the C++ jobs want MSSQL or Oracle too.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Why the hell did you think a beardy obscure language like Python was going to get you a contract.

C/C++
    Java
    C#

Are the bread and butter of contracting as a coder.
    I agree, but perl has been my bread and butter for several years, and quite a few perl contracts list python as a "nice to have", or in some cases essential.

But the more I learn of Python the less I like it. For a start there's that daft retrograde aspect of indentation being vital to syntax. But also, its features have been continually on the move throughout the version 2 fix releases, and a huge assortment of changes at Version 3 including many features removed or not backwards compatible. So one has to learn not just the language but exactly when each feature became available (or disappeared).

Oh well, now I've started I may as well finish learning it and then move onto Java (which I should have done years ago if I hadn't been so idle).

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Dare I say front-end web stuff seems to okay on the contract front.
    Shh! Don't blow it for us.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Javascript
    Dare I say front-end web stuff seems to okay on the contract front.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    There's something terribly wrong here.

That listing shows about ten times as many contracts (all different, at a cursory glance) for a creaky old punched card language like RPG400 than for perl and python combined.
    Indeed. And people say the "system i"* is on the way out...

For financial software, you can't beat it as a big, reliable, number cruncher.

Has had virtualisation for the last god knows how long too and with the advent of the new Power 7 systems, they are going to get even more popular.

*AS400 if you started working before 2005

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Javascript

What next Logo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_(programming_language)

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Why the hell did you think a beardy obscure language like Python was going to get you a contract.

C/C++
    Java
    C#

Javascript

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

C/C++
    Java
    C#

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

http://www.jobserve.co.uk/JobListing...F4F50E13F749C0

Apparently. Though my particular niche seems to be on the wane a bit.
    There's something terribly wrong here.

That listing shows about ten times as many contracts (all different, at a cursory glance) for a creaky old punched card language like RPG400 than for perl and python combined.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Good grief, is that still going?

Last time I used RPG 2, which it looks like a variant of, was in about 1980.
    http://www.jobserve.co.uk/JobListing...F4F50E13F749C0

Apparently. Though my particular niche seems to be on the wane a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Which birthday did you say you have just had?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    RPG400.
    Good grief, is that still going?

Last time I used RPG 2, which it looks like a variant of, was in about 1980.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Try more mainstream languages like "Plan" or "S3"
    Which birthday did you say you have just had?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    RPG400.
    Too modern.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Try more mainstream languages like "Plan" or "S3"
    RPG400.