• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Will today be the day that Gordon Brown calls the General Election?"

Collapse

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Interesting comment in there. To paraphrase: Labour's response to the credit crisis has been a catastrophe economically, but a success politically...
    They have managed to defer the pain but all they have done is defer it. The pain is on its way.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    That Daniel Hannan, MEP and Telegraph blogger, is asking it now. I doubt if he reads CUK
    Interesting comment in there. To paraphrase: Labour's response to the credit crisis has been a catastrophe economically, but a success politically...

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    That Daniel Hannan, MEP and Telegraph blogger, is asking it now. I doubt if he reads CUK

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Sminki
    N.B. Contains words in Anglo-Saxon
    Does the blue text seem to stand out of the page for anyone else?

I read a news story today that said one of the chaps who was due to speak with Brown would blame the current (global economic) crisis on Cameron and the Tories! I may check again later to see whether he did.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Sminki
    N.B. Contains words in Anglo-Saxon

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I clicked on the former. Looking again just now I see they have an asterisk placed against one of the words FREE, and following a link from there to a licence agreement displaying similar text to that shown when clicking on theikr binary to install the "Free" version. It speaks about flights. I bottled it at that point yesterday hoping that I hadn't picked up some nasty virus or trojan, as it seemed most peculiar to be talking about return flights after you have clicked an executable downloaded. Off that page is an additional licence discussion, which scanning through looks even more nuts, talking about global warming etc
    Ah, it's probably okay. Someone seems to have gone a bit fruit loop on global warming. I've installed it now and it seems to work well.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    How odd. The one I installed recently has never done that.

Did you click on "Get the FREE download now" or "WordWeb Pro". The latter costs £14.
    I clicked on the former. Looking again just now I see they have an asterisk placed against one of the words FREE, and following a link from there to a licence agreement displaying similar text to that shown when clicking on theikr binary to install the "Free" version. It speaks about flights. I bottled it at that point yesterday hoping that I hadn't picked up some nasty virus or trojan, as it seemed most peculiar to be talking about return flights after you have clicked an executable downloaded. Off that page is an additional licence discussion, which scanning through looks even more nuts, talking about global warming etc

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

I tried installing that yesterday and despite the blurb saying it was free, when it came to install, the agreement said it was a 30 days trial only, plus some strange comments about return flights.
    How odd. The one I installed recently has never done that.

Did you click on "Get the FREE download now" or "WordWeb Pro". The latter costs £14.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    According to BBC reporter Jo Coburn, the atmosphere at the BBC is currently "febrile".

According to WordWeb, which no self-respecting Windows PC user should be without:

febrile (adj) Of or relating to or characterized by fever
    e.g. "a febrile reaction caused by an allergen"
    I tried installing that yesterday and despite the blurb saying it was free, when it came to install, the agreement said it was a 30 days trial only, plus some strange comments about return flights.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    According to BBC reporter Jo Coburn, the atmosphere at the BBC is currently "febrile".

According to WordWeb, which no self-respecting Windows PC user should be without:

I guess McBunker must be the allergen.
    Maybe the BBC bods are beginning to realise that their world is coming to an end. (Que for another YouTube vid of BBC programs to the sound track of 'How far we've come')

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I know.

I don't understand it. Everything at the moment is pointing to March 25th being the most optimum date for him.

Even if he can't see that it is inconceivable that people like Mandelson don't.
    We're talking about Gordon Brown here. With the possible exception of that Milliband geezer, is there anyone less able to make a decisive decision? I suspect he's not even sleeping at the moment, torn with indecision.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

I guess McBunker must be the allergen.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    it won't make a blind bit of difference when he asks her to call it. there will be a massive swing to the tories. massive.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    According to this article http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aM0TTo2juQxE on Bloomberg, Darling let the cat out of the bag somewhat a bit earlier.

Looks like the 6th of May is favorite at the mo.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    There's a well-argued blog article here :
    I know.

I don't understand it. Everything at the moment is pointing to March 25th being the most optimum date for him.

Even if he can't see that it is inconceivable that people like Mandelson don't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X