• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where did you buy your first pint ?"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Admit it - your youthful looks meant you wouldn't have got served.

Still have the same problem 27 years later

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I remember the Britannia - tucked away down a side street opposite the block of flats but the only Youngs pub for miles!
    Yeah its all coming back...... Those were the days when most pubs only sold "Fizzy Keg Pish" from a single Brewery....

.....only a few places had "Real Ale"....

Spotted Dog - regular - Davy's Old Wallop
    Britannia - semi-regular - Youngs
    now I am thinking about the Firkin Pubs...... DogBolter..... Mmmmmmmm
    Phoenix and Firkin - "Phoenix my Pint I'll Firkin hit him"
    Fox and Firkin - "For Fox sake buy me a Firkin Pint"

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Thats it....
    Davy's Old Wallop by the 4 pint jug... they were the same company as the Davy's Winebars in London/City

I drove past it a couple of years back and they had opened another Pub next to it (in what used to be the Wallis Supermarket) called the "Barking Dog" looked like a tuliphole full of chavs... then I remembered I was in Barking and it made sense!

Another one was "The Britannia" sold Youngs which was nicely kept.... but the pub was full of scrotes from "The Lintons" (multi-story Chav Ville estate)
    I remember the Britannia - tucked away down a side street opposite the block of flats but the only Youngs pub for miles!

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    ....Started out on halves because I was under the illusion that that was what girls drank......
    Only in a insulting way.... drinking a half!!! You girl!!!

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    There seem to be a fair few ex-Eastenders here!

I know all the pubs of which you speak - The Spotted Dog had sawdust on the floor ISTR.
    Thats it....
    Davy's Old Wallop by the 4 pint jug... they were the same company as the Davy's Winebars in London/City

I drove past it a couple of years back and they had opened another Pub next to it (in what used to be the Wallis Supermarket) called the "Barking Dog" looked like a tuliphole full of chavs... then I remembered I was in Barking and it made sense!

Another one was "The Britannia" sold Youngs which was nicely kept.... but the pub was full of scrotes from "The Lintons" (multi-story Chav Ville estate)

Now I remember why I left Barking it was full of Chavs and srotes.....

I went to East Ham.... Drank in "The Rodin" (or was it Roding?) just off Burges Road, opposite the Gasworks .... Now that was a pub.... just the sort that the Queen Vic is based on.....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    On my 18th birthday ('cos I way a good law abiding citizen) in the Castle, Brentwood and it w as pint of Light and Bitter.
    Admit it - your youthful looks meant you wouldn't have got served.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    No idea where my first pint was. Started out on halves because I was under the illusion that that was what girls drank.

First half I actually bought myself was probably the Dewdrop Inn in Rainham Kent at when I was 15. Can't remember how much (but it was new money!)

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    The Swan Inn, Farnborough.

17 and 32p for a pint of bitter if I remember correctly.
    Were you at Farnborough Tech?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    I am sure I have been to the Angler's Retreat..... is it the one basically in the middle of the Ford complex with a view of the blast furnaces (rather than the river). My mum lived a bit further down the road towards Rainham for a while (long after I left home).

I know I must have been to the George as well.... I have been to many many pubs in Cranbrook Road... mainly at the Ilford end cos I lived in Barking.
    There was some tuliphole Night Club... was it "The Lacey Lady".....
    I do remember the General Havelock... they had great bands..... and I am sure I saw Iron Maiden there*

My main hangouts (other than the Rugby Club) were in Barking - So "The Spotted Dog", "The Barge Aground", "The Bull" and (because it was very near school) "The Royal Oak"/"The Fly House".....
    There seem to be a fair few ex-Eastenders here!

I know all the pubs of which you speak - The Spotted Dog had sawdust on the floor ISTR.

Yes that's the one - The Angler's Retreat was the pub directly on the A13. It was a real dive.

The Lacey Lady was in Seven Kings (also there was the Shannon Centre where I worked at the bar for a bit).

In Ilford you had;

Cranbrook Hall (Later Lords then shut down)
    Room At The Top (with the famous lift - Then changed to the Penthouse Suite)
    The Ilford Palais (Think this had a name change as well)

The Ruskin Arms (Manor Park?) I believe was the "Metal Pub Of Choice". Being into 50's stuff I used to hang around The Old Maypole in Barkingside when it had live music every Friday & Saturday. The Cranbrook was my regular though. That had live music every Friday as well. Ahhh memories.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    On my 18th birthday ('cos I way a good law abiding citizen) in the Castle, Brentwood and it w as pint of Light and Bitter.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    It's now QM, I wish they'd make their minds up.
    I was there when it changed from QMC to QMW. I remember hoping that the influx of arts undergrads from Westfield College would improve the abysmal male/female ratio so that I stood a chance of getting a girlfriend.

I worked one place where three others in the development team had all studied there - we were different ages though and there had been no overlap.

IIRR Bruce Dickinson went to QMW and was at the halls in South Woodford
    Pete Doherty did a year (not at the same time as me) but the normal life was not for him. A bright chap, bit of a shame really.

I am convinced that this bloke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keziah_Jones used to attend my first year economics lectures. The others used to point to this strange chap and say that he was inventing a new type of music. One day this chap wrote the words Blufunk is a fact all over my lecture notes when I wasn't looking. A few years later that was the title of Keziah Jones' first album.

I can find nothing that enables me to verify whether that was, or was not, him.

EDIT: Back on topic! My first pint in a pub was a pint of Dry Blackthorn. It was in a small village in Wiltshire. I think I was 17. I think it cost 80p.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 24 February 2010, 22:43. Reason: Forgot to mention the topic!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    True.

QMC - in those days.
    It's now QM, I wish they'd make their minds up.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    I used to work in the George when I was a student at the south woodford halls.

IIRR Bruce Dickinson went to QMW and was at the halls in South Woodford
    True.

QMC - in those days.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    But you won't forget the date of the next one... will ya?
    Not if I want to keep my balls attached, nope!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Until I needed it for my Security Clearance I'd forgotten the date of mine...
    But you won't forget the date of the next one... will ya?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X