• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Simple way to stop runaway house prices"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    He means "funny peculiar" as opposed to "funny ha ha".

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    It is quite funny hearing him say 'dude'.
    You said I'm funny.

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little ****ed up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to ******' amuse you?

How the **** am I funny, what the **** is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    Whenever I read your posts, Alexei, I hear them in my head being spoken by a meerkat with a Russian accent.

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Whenever I read your posts, Alexei, I hear them in my head being spoken by a man with a Russian accent.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I think you're deliberately mixing it up to promote your high interest agenda, so I'm not playing anymore.

Dude, you think 0.5% base rate with 3.5% inflation is ok thing? Yes, I am not in debt so yes you can say I have got "high interest" agenda, ffs - 5% interest rate has never been high - it's only high for people who want to pay 0. If you can't afford 5% interest - don't effing borrow.

Leave a comment:

• mr_woo
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    "What is a standard variable rate mortgage?

Every mortgage lender has a standard variable rate, or SVR, of interest on which it bases all its mortgage deals.

The standard variable rate is, in turn, based on the Bank of England's base lending rate and this is decided at monthly meetings of the Bank's monetary policy committee, or MPC."

http://www.mortgagesorter.co.uk/type...able_rate.html

No it isn't! It is based on whatever they think they can charge in the market. If Base rate was 5% a STV mortgage may be about 8%. At 0.5 % around 6% seems the norm. Ie not a lot of difference.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The benefit of doing this rather than renting is you don't have some gobtulipe landlord telling you what you can and cannot do with your home and you don't worry about getting a notice to quit letter from your landlord.

You don't have a landlord hiking the rent up at whim.

And at the end of it, house prices having risen 100000000000% means you become a billionaire at the end of the 20 year mortgage, where as the renter has nothing.
    Because, of course, house prices always go up?

Some people might be disappointed by this theory.

Leave a comment:

• Julius Caesar
    replied
    The benefit of doing this rather than renting is you don't have some gobtulipe landlord telling you what you can and cannot do with your home and you don't worry about getting a notice to quit letter from your landlord.

you don't get that in other countries with renting either, because a tenant's place is rightly seen as their home. It's only in the UK where this ridiculous no-security AST had to be brought in or landlords wouldn't rent out, IMO because they have too high expectations of how much money can be made how easily out of letting. Same as ever in the UK, houses are seen as giant ATMs.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    But they’re not buying a house. They’re renting a house from the bank.

And at the end of it, house prices having risen 100000000000% means you become a billionaire at the end of the 20 year mortgage, where as the renter has nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Otherwise they could not afford to buy a house!!!
    But they’re not buying a house. They’re renting a house from the bank.

Leave a comment:

• Julius Caesar
    replied
    At the moment, your primary residence (and all other properties if you are an MP) is not subject to CGT.

Change the rule, so that CGT is charged after indexation against inflation is taken off.

So if for example, you buy at £500K and after a few years you sell at £1M, and £500K after adding inflation is then worth £700K, you owe CGT on the £300K difference.

This would tend to stop all housing rising above inflation as everyone would be shelling out CGT and so the price rises would tend to follow inflation.

Simples.
    And charge the notional rent saved by living in your own house as a taxable benefit. That'd cut down on the relentless drive to "be on the housing ladder".

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Surely one does not need a degree in Finance & Credit (like myself) to understand these basics?
    I think you're deliberately mixing it up to promote your high interest agenda, so I'm not playing anymore.

Where's my Millennium Falcon, I'm going home.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Nationalize all houses - Gordon can be your landlord.
    No more selling and buying of houses.
    Prices become a hypothetical number with no meaning.
    Simples.

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

wtf is the point of that? Isn't that just paying lots of money to delay being homeless until you're too old and decrepit to do anything about it?
    Otherwise the banks wouldn't get any money, then they'd have to repossess the houses of people who overstretched themselves and at some point sell it at a loss and this would push down prices and make houses affordable for the prudent and the banks would lose money and couldn't pay out big bonuses.

Not an option.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    The theory is that by the time you have to repay the loan the amount you need to repay is equivalent to perhaps 2 weeks salary rather than 3 years.
    Sounds like a good theory: Hyperinflation + low interest rates = house paid for.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X