• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rates. Are they higher than a decade ago!"

Collapse

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You're wrong about most things aren't you?
    Managed properly, inflating house prices make you rich. They did me anyhoo.
    The thing is - the only way to realise your 'winnings' is to die. Then Hector takes a big wedge.

Leave a comment:

• Julius Caesar
    replied
    That's what's wrong with the housing market

No really, congratulations.... but it is not sensible to have large quasi-random transfers of wealth between citizens, no matter how happy it makes the recipients. Because it made you rich at other people's expense. Not a criticism of you personally, but the contributors perhaps didn't deserve it.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    It has probably escaped your attention that better houses that you own now have also increased in price and are further out of your reach than before prices rose.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Ten years ago I was on my highest rate ever, £80 per day more than I am on now.
    Sort of ditto - I'm now earning 70% of what I was 10 years ago. In real terms, that's probably more like 50%

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by the_duderama View Post
    As for rates 10 years ago, it was a bubble. Jesus.
    Bliss was it in those days to be in your 20s. £350 per day (not much by todays standards) but decent flats in London for <100K.

Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Inflating house prices is a great way of making people poorer while making them as happy as pigs in tulip about it.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Then one Day you Find
    Ten Years have gone behind you
    No-one told you when to Run
    You missed the starting gun

Leave a comment:

• the_duderama
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Inflating house prices is a great way of making people poorer while making them as happy as pigs in tulip about it.
    Quite - i was looking to buy a house during this recession, but i don't think it's going to happen anytime soon, given that i'll need a 60k deposit minimum.

As for rates 10 years ago, it was a bubble. Jesus.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
    Totally. It's still a very good living when you consider a contractor earning 100k pa or more is in the TOP 1% of earners in the country, and yet it still takes ages to pay off a mortgage on a fairly modest house in London or the south east (or the south west for that matter).
    The generation of potential FTBers in their 20s and early 30s now are in for a real struggle, a shift in living standards through wage stagnation is only going to continue through globalisation.

Leave a comment:

• Julius Caesar
    replied
    Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
    House prices have quadrupled over the last 12 years.

I know a contractor in 1997 who bought a 400K place in london, on his almost 100K a year contactor rate.

That place is worth around £1.8 million today.

He currently bills 130K.. no way he could afford to buy that place today.. not even close..

Contracting in the UK is way past its heyday.. people coming in now have no idea how good it was..
    Actually I think that says more about the twisted UK housing market that about the contract market.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    get into .Net lads, that's how you get the good rates

get the qualifications, go for the full MSDN certification and you will
    be sorteeeeeeeed

all the best

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post
    What is it you do again?
    Strategising.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Try to develop some expertise beyond using a few wizards and some APIs that shield you from any need to understand what you're doing; real knowledge will always be in demand.
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    ....it takes experience and knowledge of what they actually do and how everything fits together under the pretty GUI skin to make something that is robust and adaptable within the business environment.
    wts.

my rate is not that much better than it was 7 years ago but then i'm in the double whammy of recession and new skillset. i predict a jump in rate to equal or better my best ever rate on the next contract as i prove my transition from the old to the new.

i remember having an argument with someone on this board years ago about the need to plan ahead. some prefer to let tulip happen - i say you should prepare for it.

assuming they have been created you should regularly revisit your long term business plans to make sure that you can achieve your goals - such as developing the expertise and experience that nf and sc mention.

Leave a comment:

• cupidstunt
    replied
    WHS.
    Or in business-speak low barriers to entry means every numpty and his dog can join in, thus lowering rates.
    There's plenty of money for the truly skilled.
    Regardless of the barriers to entry if Bob Shawadiwadi says he can do it thick middle managers are giving him the work. What is it you do again?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Ah yes, technologies that make things simple for the lazy.

If you choose to carve out a career on the low road, you shouldn't be overly surprised if it gets a bit crowded.

Try to develop some expertise beyond using a few wizards and some APIs that shield you from any need to understand what you're doing; real knowledge will always be in demand.
    WHS.
    Or in business-speak low barriers to entry means every numpty and his dog can join in, thus lowering rates.
    There's plenty of money for the truly skilled.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X