• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Britain will be first country to monitor every car journey"

Collapse

• Mailman
    replied
    Thats not Sat Nav though is it...thats more like chip n car

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    Sat Nav dont mean diddly if they cant see your licence plate.

Mailman

If they can track humans by inserting a chip in them then maybe, just maybe they could do the same with a car

Leave a comment:

• bfg
    replied
    How to beat the system

Clone

just like the congestion charge scammers already do.

Not too worried about getting a congestion charge/speeding etc notice, after all they only want money and I will be able to argue about it in court.

However, if there is an armed robbery or a terrorist attack with clones of my plates involved (I think maybe terrorists and armed robbers will not be too bothered about breaking this law) then I might find it a little difficult to argue from the inside of a body-bag.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Tch, you plebs, it's for road pricing...

Apparently the system is already in place in several areas.

It was used, for example, in the case of the Police woman who was killed.

The plods were right off the mark on that weren't they! First arrest was the wrong guy. This guy had infact previously reported to the police that he had been coerced into renting the getaway car by some bad guys and strongly suspected it was going to be used for nefarious purposes. He gave the plod the full SP.

So, the usefulness of this system in preventing crime appears suspect.

Now, how long did it take to catch up with these bad guys...

So, the usefulness of this system after the fact also appears suspect.

Now, I have shown that using this system in crime prevention/detection/solution is not going to happen. What other purpose could such a system be used for...

Might I suggest: road pricing.

Enjoy your new tax ...

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Hmmmmmm

I do know that each person is entitled to ask for CCTV footage of them when they are in a shop, a forecourt or any other location with a camera. There is a nominal £10 fee however.

I would assume the same applies for CCTV footage of your vehicle.....which means that if enough people demanded footage, something I bet hasn't been considered, then the system would become mired down in an administrative nightmare. Of course, the irony is having to pay £10, but what a lot of chaos you would get for that tenner !

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Sat Nav dont mean diddly if they cant see your licence plate.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Biker Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Sat Nav works both ways
    If it does, it explains why speed cameras are not increasing. Distance travelled/time elapsed = ave speed, GOTCHA!

I feel a Tom Cruise script coming on....................

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    Just how exactly are they going to do this though? I mean...we are talking about putting cameras on every single road in great britain!

That seems an impossible task?

Mailman
    Sat Nav works both ways

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Just how exactly are they going to do this though? I mean...we are talking about putting cameras on every single road in great britain!

That seems an impossible task?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac
    How did the Jug-eared one learn to keep a straight face while telling giant fibs? Same place as Dodgy Agents perchance?
    I taught him everything (for a fee of course)

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    How did the Jug-eared one learn to keep a straight face while telling giant fibs? Same place as Dodgy Agents perchance?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by monkeyboy
    I detect a note of irony there
    But there will be no irony when the Home Secretary says exactly the same things in the near future.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    >This will be a robust system with all the usual security features to ensure that it is not misused

Just like everything else NewLie inflict upon us then. Nice use of ironic cynicism there W100 btw.

Leave a comment:

• monkeyboy
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    I think it is a good idea. If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.

It's not as if the police will be browsing through everyone's journey records, just those they want to eliminate from their enquiries.

Same with the taxman. He won't be interested in tracking your whereabouts unless you are moonlighting or claiming expenses for visits to the pub.

And private enquiries. When they become available, no agency is going to pay the fee unless your wife has a pretty strong suspicion you are visiting prostitutes, or your employer thinks you are visiting the gym while you are off sick with a bad back.

This will be a robust system with all the usual security features to ensure that it is not misused.

I detect a note of irony there
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 22 December 2005, 13:56. Reason: cause I can't speel

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    I think it is a good idea. If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.

It's not as if the police will be browsing through everyone's journey records, just those they want to eliminate from their enquiries.

Same with the taxman. He won't be interested in tracking your whereabouts unless you are moonlighting or claiming expenses for visits to the pub.

And private enquiries. When they become available, no agency is going to pay the fee unless your wife has a pretty strong suspicion you are visiting prostitutes, or your employer thinks you are visiting the gym while you are off sick with a bad back.

This will be a robust system with all the usual security features to ensure that it is not misused.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X