• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: wunch of bankers

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "wunch of bankers"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Thanks for the points but the fact that I am not resident in the UK means:

1. I like Nationwide's foreign currency calculations (no charges and no loading on the Visa exchange rate)
    2. I'm not sure that Egg would give me a card since I'm not UK-resident, and have just moved from one European country to another - and sold my house so I'm not a householder, as well as having changes of address.... and presumably now a refusal on my record, from Barclaycard

(I was already a Nationwide customer, admittedly an inactive one)

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfW
    Just a point here but you can't actually "cancel" a credit card you can only suspend one. I had a huge row with Cahoot about this a few years ago.
    Odd.

I cancelled my Access card by cutting it in half & giving back to Lloyds Bank.

Seemed to work since I never got another one...

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I thought Barclaycard contact centres were in Manchester and Sunderland.

Just a point here but you can't actually "cancel" a credit card you can only suspend one. I had a huge row with Cahoot about this a few years ago.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Virgin.

0% for the last five years, very pleasant Scottish or Norfolk girls on the phone, and no problems at all.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    I thought it was "Go to work on an Egg"...

Oh, sorry, wrong millennium, century, and decade...

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp
    Go with Egg.
    I'll second that...

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    Just cancelled my Barclaycard. Not at all happy with Mrs Rajiv's handling of my account. Going to use Nationwide instead. They have UK call centres.

I have had a Barclaycard since 1973 - before the Visa system. But even the most loyal customer can be driven away if you try hard enough.
    I moved from Nat West to Nationwide. I got sick of the arrogant big bank attitude from Nat West, and lots of mistakes. Nationwide seem much better. And they have lots of branches and good interest rates on their savings and internet accounts.

Fungus.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    nah - do it the contractor way. Carry your cash in a wheelbarrow...

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    Going to use Nationwide instead.
    Nationwide Credit Card Services are crap (they're a seperate outfit from the high street bank.) The may have proper UK call centres but they still get everything the wrong way round.

Go with Egg.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    It's much easier to do without it since it stopped being a cheque guarantee card as well as a credit card.

I've had mine since 1973 too.

I've still got one of those punched card statement things they used to use.

(This house is going to fall down with all the accumulated junk... I'm the reincarnation of Mr Trebus ).

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    It's Burglaycard I didn't like.

Originally posted by lORD lUCAN
    You crazy muttha......

I've just done exactly the same thing, told them I wasn't happy
    with the possibility of my details being sold in internet cafes in Bombay.
    They had the front to tell me it was a UK centre, however I did ask
    the guy at the time what the weather was like, and he mentioned 32 degrees.
    Must have been one of those Indian summer nights we get in October!!!
    Closed the account, told them to sod off. Been with them for 9 years
    Mrs Rajiv may well be in the UK, and the fact that she (or her husband) is probably Indian is not a factor for me.

The feeling that I was being treated like Joe in off the street and not a customer of 32 years good standing (and profit) is the reason I left. And I am sure that's Barclaycard more than it's India.

Leave a comment:

• lORD lUCAN
    replied
    You crazy muttha......

I've just done exactly the same thing, told them I wasn't happy
    with the possibility of my details being sold in internet cafes in Bombay.
    They had the front to tell me it was a UK centre, however I did ask
    the guy at the time what the weather was like, and he mentioned 32 degrees.
    Must have been one of those Indian summer nights we get in October!!!
    Closed the account, told them to sod off. Been with them for 9 years

Leave a comment:

• expat
    started a topic wunch of bankers

wunch of bankers

Just cancelled my Barclaycard. Not at all happy with Mrs Rajiv's handling of my account. Going to use Nationwide instead. They have UK call centres.

I have had a Barclaycard since 1973 - before the Visa system. But even the most loyal customer can be driven away if you try hard enough.

Working...
X