• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Venison

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Venison"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    That's interesting. Does it need to be matured in the same way as beef?

Edit: I posted previously because wild venison that had been given to me never seemed to be as good as farmed, makes more sense now.
    It is advisable to hang game as you would beef and it all depends on how much flavour you would want in the meat on how long you hang it.

I for one prefer rabbit, pheasant and hare, straight away, rather than letting them hang.

You will get more flavour from wild but it will depend on what it has been feeding on. It also depends if it has been shot properly (i.e. through the heart for an instant kill), if an animal suffers then adrenalin is pumped through the body and it can affect rigor mortis and therefore have an impact on flavour, also the meat could be tougher.

At the end of the day, you have to understand, what meat you have, what cut you have, and then cook it appropriately with the right seasoning and accompaniments and rest it before eating.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Not true, it depends on the cut of meat you are cooking and whether it has a more muscular structure.

This
    might explain it better.

I get wild and farmed venison and you have to understand the cut and ensure that it has been butchered properly in order to cook it appropriately. (I used to go out game shooting and my family used to be butchers and farmers).
    That's interesting. Does it need to be matured in the same way as beef?

Edit: I posted previously because wild venison that had been given to me never seemed to be as good as farmed, makes more sense now.
    Last edited by Cliphead; 14 February 2010, 18:13.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Seems to me there are two kinds of venison, farmed and wild. Venison from an animal that has spent its life running up and down mountains is tougher and needs longer to cook, farmed venison not.
    Not true, it depends on the cut of meat you are cooking and whether it has a more muscular structure.

This
    might explain it better.

I get wild and farmed venison and you have to understand the cut and ensure that it has been butchered properly in order to cook it appropriately. (I used to go out game shooting and my family used to be butchers and farmers and I used to be a chef).
    Last edited by norrahe; 14 February 2010, 18:10.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Seems to me there are two kinds of venison, farmed and wild. Venison from an animal that has spent its life running up and down mountains is tougher and needs longer to cook, farmed venison not.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I should, but my hart's not in it.
    Oh deer!

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Then we'd better buck our ideas up.
    I should, but my hart's not in it.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post

A nice alternative to spuds is Spaeztli if you can get it.

Or you could try gnocchi or gnudi, with some thyme in them or a butternut squash ravioli.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Roast spiced pears (cinnamon, cloves or mulling spices) are nice as well.

You can also do a spiced red cabbage.
    Mmm... lovely. The pears cut into halves rather than slices and you can put a bit of cranberry jam/jelly in the hollow the core came out of. I'll suggest the odd cooked chestnut or two as well.

A nice alternative to spuds is Spaeztli if you can get it.

I think I'm going to hit the shops now

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I think we're getting stuck in a rut.
    Then we'd better buck our ideas up.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Morning!

Venison goes well with winter veg, parsnips, swede, celariac, beetroot and squash. If you are using beetroot go easy as too much can overpower any dish.
    Roast spiced pears (cinnamon, cloves or mulling spices) are nice as well.

You can also do a spiced red cabbage.

Port or redcurrant will add a nice kick to a jus/gravy. Add a hint of rosemary or juniper.

You could finish the sauce off with a small hint of chocolate, to give the sauce some gloss and slight sweetness (use 99%).

Do not even think of cooking it anything other than pink, and make sure to rest it.

Carpaccio is very nice, but you would need to ensure you've got a nice piece of fillet.

Wines - depending on the sauce:
    Syrah or Riserva rioja - complement spices
    Bordeaux - herb port jus and earthy vegetables
    Or possibly a burgundy, but it would have be one at the higher end such as nuits-saint-georges etc....
    You can go for new world, but avoid anything too heavily oaked
    A barolo, chianti or montepulciano are good if you fancy Italian (anything from tuscan vinyards are good, as they do like their game in that region).
    You said it better than I did, port and redcurrant are ideal. I couldn't agree more.

Mind you you're far better qualified to give good advice on this.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I think we're getting stuck in a rut.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Doh!
    A deer!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Doh!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    yes, best saved for a special occasion, like a stag night.
    They're Bambi steaks you bastards!

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    We're having chicken because venison is just too dear.
    yes, best saved for a special occasion, like a stag night.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X