• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "This might interest the C/C++ fans here."

Collapse

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Who needs an IDE when you have "right of substitution"?

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Who needs an IDE when you have a stack of cards and a card punch?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    who needs an ide when you have vi ?

Milan.
    gvim. superb editor.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Your criteria for judging how good an IDE is based on whether or not it can go full screen without toolbars / menus etc?

Time to upgrade from 640x480.
    This particular point is based on being forced to give up a chunk of your screen space to information you don't want to see at that particular moment. Menus I can live with, half the screen given over to tulip I don't need is too much and it should be easy to minimize it and focus on what you need, but without losing it all together because I probably will need it again in 5 minutes.

There were some other things that annoyed me as well, the built in documentation system is too fine grained for one, I'd like to have an overview rather than a page per field or method and another for the class that doesn't have any useful information on it.

Anyway, I got the job done & got paid, so who cares? I'm just saying there are better IDEs out there.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    who needs an ide when you have the tape eject button?

Milan.
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    FTFY
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    who needs an ide when you have copy con and <ctrl>z ?

Milan.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    who needs an ide when you have vi ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Well do fill me in. I found it impossible to get the code window to fill the whole screen, there were always a couple of other unwanted bits stuck to the edge of the screen (I'm thinking of the same result as ctrl+M in eclipse).

This was VS2005 mind, maybe the latest version is better.
    Your criteria for judging how good an IDE is based on whether or not it can go full screen without toolbars / menus etc?

Time to upgrade from 640x480.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I think you've hit the nail on the head....
    Well do fill me in. I found it impossible to get the code window to fill the whole screen, there were always a couple of other unwanted bits stuck to the edge of the screen (I'm thinking of the same result as ctrl+M in eclipse).

This was VS2005 mind, maybe the latest version is better.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    This thread is full of tools.
    It is now!
    No, now!

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    It is now!
    No, now!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    It is now!

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I think you've hit the nail on the head....
    I thought that was a hammer

Leave a comment:

Working...
X