• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The joys of chasing payment"

Collapse

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    I've used this with agents. You can legally charge a penalty and interest, which racks up daily.
    WHS, it worked as well, agency always paid on time after they were charged 3 invoices in a row for being late for payment. My reasoning was, I turn up and do the contract as you expect, you should pay as detailed in the contract as I expect. They tried to use excuses such as new payroll system blah blah, my response "not my problem, pay on time or pay the penalty plus interest"

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Assuming it's worth chasing:

Send them another invoice with the original amount plus the statuatory interest, and attach a letter informing them that you expect to be paid or you will pursue it further.

http://www.payontime.co.uk/legislati...tion_main.html

has details of the interest you can charge.

I've never had to go this far myself but I believe the next step is to serve a "Statuatory Demand" which gives them a certain period in which to pay, or to sue and get a court order which you can then enforce with Baliffs. If they still refuse or are unable to pay after that you can petition to have the company wound up.
    I've used this with agents. You can legally charge a penalty and interest, which racks up daily.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane View Post
    If only I could establish whether or not that was the case with the client in question - they're a startup that hasn't yet started trading. Unfortunately, they won't even respond to any attempts to make contact.

If it's decent sum and their HQ isn't too far away then turn up in person and hand deliver your letter in which it makes clear you are about to start legal proceedings. If that doesn't work and they don't cough up then you are probably stuffed and they are about to go bust !

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Small claims court, costs virtually nothing to submit your case. If they can't be bothered to defend it, they lose:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp
    WHS - costs start at £25 and go up from there based on the value of the claim.

Get it filed today, and get chasing.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Unless they are genuinely stuffed, in which case it's likely that nobody gets paid.
    If only I could establish whether or not that was the case with the client in question - they're a startup that hasn't yet started trading. Unfortunately, they won't even respond to any attempts to make contact.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I hear that that usually makes 'em pay !
    Unless they are genuinely stuffed, in which case it's likely that nobody gets paid.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    you can petition to have the company wound up.
    I hear that that usually makes 'em pay !

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    If I remember right, you can charge interest of 8% over the base lending rate for the time that the payment is overdue. I made several hundred pounds out of that once. And they mistakenly paid the interest twice. I didn't tell them, but if they ask for it back they can have it.

Edit: that was via the Small Claims Court. Cost me nothing in the end, I charged them for that as well. And I got back about £15k.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Assuming it's worth chasing:

Send them another invoice with the original amount plus the statuatory interest, and attach a letter informing them that you expect to be paid or you will pursue it further.

http://www.payontime.co.uk/legislati...tion_main.html

has details of the interest you can charge.

I've never had to go this far myself but I believe the next step is to serve a "Statuatory Demand" which gives them a certain period in which to pay, or to sue and get a court order which you can then enforce with Baliffs. If they still refuse or are unable to pay after that you can petition to have the company wound up.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Might I politely suggest that you explore the site and have a look?
    Thank you for your polite suggestion - I shall do.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Does this apply to a limited company claiming from a limited company though? I thought it was for individuals against individuals or individuals against companies only?

Money Claim Online can be used by:

Individuals
    Solicitors
    Government Departments
    Businesses

who wish to issue a:

Claim (fixed amount of money)
    Judgment
    Warrant
    Might I politely suggest that you explore the site and have a look?

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Small claims court, costs virtually nothing to submit your case. If they can't be bothered to defend it, they lose:

Does this apply to a limited company claiming from a limited company though? I thought it was for individuals against individuals or individuals against companies only?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    After 18 months I'd write it off unless it is a fairly large invoice.
    I will buy them off you if you wish.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    After 18 months I'd write it off unless it is a fairly large invoice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X