• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car insurance quote goes up big time"

Collapse

• martinb
    replied
    Had my car insurance renewal quote from existing insurer. As usual, had quick look around the internet for better deals (moneysupermarket.com, confused.com etc) and found the same cover about £55 cheaper. Called my current insurers, told them the best quote I had and they matched it, no questions asked. They called it a "loyalty bonus". Well worth trying this trick - saves the hassle of having to switch, provide evidence of NCB etc etc

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Confused.com is owned by Admiral, but I am impressed by it - will use it next time.

My renewal from Tesco was £475, I switched to Virgin who front-end the same insurance company for £456. Then I tried the confused.com web site who took my details then got me 80-odd quotes (OK I don't remember how many) within a few minutes by screen-scraping everyones web-site. They showed that I could have got RAC insurance for £440 and if I raised my excess I could have got it down to £360.

Leave a comment:

• CaribbeanPirate
    replied
    Originally posted by Andyw
    Next you'll be telling us that PCWorld is owned by Dixons !!!
    DSG International actually.

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    Isn't confused.com owned by one of the big insurance companies? Admiral or Norwich Union I think?

Next you'll be telling us that PCWorld is owned by Dixons !!!

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Ardesco's in ! he's made it after his 3 hour commute !

Leave a comment:

• CaribbeanPirate
    replied
    Isn't confused.com owned by one of the big insurance companies? Admiral or Norwich Union I think?
    Admiral

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Nipple Clamp
    Or, for the lazy but not so stupid, go with an insurance broker like Budget who shop around on your behalf each year (or claim they do).
    No broker shops around on your behalf. That's just what they say in their adverts to attract the gullible. They have maybe 3 or 4 different insurers at best, and whilst you will get the cheapest of those it doesn't make it the cheapest by a long shot. Confused.com is worth a try as their web search searches lots of other insurer's online quote systems, but the best ones are usually missing.

The only way to do this is to get as many quotes as possible. And just because somebody else of similar age/area/car as you gets a good quote off one company doesn't mean they'll give you one too.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Is that one of those 'Jags' that is just a Mondeo with a different body shell on it?

Leave a comment:

• Nipple Clamp
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac
    Standard industry practice, unfortunately (I'm currently contracting at a large insurance company). They know that only about 20% can be bothered to shop around at renewal time, so they hike up the premiums knowing that 80% will pay up. Think of it as a sort of tax on the lazy and the stupid.
    Or, for the lazy but not so stupid, go with an insurance broker like Budget who shop around on your behalf each year (or claim they do). I wrote off my jag earlier this year; but luckily had 5 years' no claims and a "free claim", so my annual premium is still only £600 and I now have a jag several years newer. What a Result!

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster
    L&G at Kingswood?
    Nope, a Swiss one (because tulip happenz...) and I'm all over the place (geographically, rather than metaphorically).

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac
    (I'm currently contracting at a large insurance company).
    L&G at Kingswood?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    When I got my renewal through I logged on and got a new quote from my insurance companies website. The quote they provided me online was 40% cheaper than my renewal quote so i phoned them up, got them to cancel my existing policy and start up a new one. the nice chap I talked to couldn't explain the huge difference in prices, Also did this for my wifes car insurance and the house insurance with the same results every time.
    Standard industry practice, unfortunately (I'm currently contracting at a large insurance company). They know that only about 20% can be bothered to shop around at renewal time, so they hike up the premiums knowing that 80% will pay up. Think of it as a sort of tax on the lazy and the stupid.

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    sasguru takes the tube !

Leave a comment:

• Viktor
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth
    Who?

I drive a van. Real men drive vans. Women and poofs drive cars, Trannies drive estates. AtW drives a specially adapted invalid carriage for the limbless.
    Ford Ranger or Nissan Navara?
    The good reason with vans is that you can recover VAT in full and the feeling when you drive a pick-up beats those posh cars and their dickless drivers...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X