• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The root of all evil"

Collapse

• TGAOTU
    replied
    Charities keep a lot of people gainfully employed...

Do some digging into the costs of running charities and the benefits they provide... Yes I know that some benefit is better than none... but...

TGAOTU.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by John Galt
    A vast proportion of my earnings go to the country's largest charity - it's called HM revenue and customs.
    They care for the feeble minded don't they?

Fungus

Leave a comment:

• Scaroth of the Jagaroth
    replied
    There have been quite a few theories linking the level of voluntary charitable donations to the amount of tax you pay. The (western) example usually cited is the USA where voluntary donations to charity far exceed any seem in European countries. The theory being that the more tax you pay, the more you think "it's not my problem".

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    I used to make regular donations to various charities, until Gordon Brown started increasing my regular donations to his social projects.

I can't pay for both, and since I have no choice with Gordon, I'm afraid the rest now go without.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I always go by the 'charity begins at home' rule. Therefore I donate to myself as much as I possibly can.

Can an individual be a registered charity and therefore attract tax relief? Hmm...

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    Originally posted by John Galt
    There has just been a discussion on the radio regarding charitable donations. A gentleman was proposing that everyone should give away 10% of their earnings to charity as it would make them feel more fulfilled and happier with their lot.

Why are people these days made to feel so guilty about earning a good living and using the proceeds to enjoy their life? You only get one so shouldn't you be able to enjoy the fruits of your labour? A vast proportion of my earnings go to the country's largest charity - it's called HM revenue and customs.
    And if its imposed or even expected that everyone gives away 10% to charity then its not really giving and you won't get that warm fuzzy feeling it will be more like an optional tax

Leave a comment:

• John Galt
    started a topic The root of all evil

The root of all evil

There has just been a discussion on the radio regarding charitable donations. A gentleman was proposing that everyone should give away 10% of their earnings to charity as it would make them feel more fulfilled and happier with their lot.

Why are people these days made to feel so guilty about earning a good living and using the proceeds to enjoy their life? You only get one so shouldn't you be able to enjoy the fruits of your labour? A vast proportion of my earnings go to the country's largest charity - it's called HM revenue and customs.

Working...
X