• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Global Schooling

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Global Schooling"

Collapse

• Cliphead
    replied
    I still have my old Jeppeson circular slide rule a retired Hurricane pilot gave me when I started learning to fly in 1976.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    I got taught the Trachtenberg system of basic maths when I was at school.

Im still astounded that such a simple system is not universally taught in every school around the world.

For those that are not familiar with the system: http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.trachten.html

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    My maths teacher was an astronomy buff.
    He was very easy to side track and the stuff he knew was interesting and informative.

best education I ever had

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    I used to have a slide rule. Aristo Scholar, good basic model, cost 21s.

There is one on ebay right now, closing 4h, no bids, £6. Hasn't held its value against inflation.
    Last edited by Tarquin Farquhar; 4 February 2010, 16:31.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Still have my log tables book complete with graffiti. Used slide rule (now lost) in O’ level course but not exam in 60s.

Also did technical drawing, metalwork (lathe forge etc)
    German and optional Russian languages.
    Do kids do that at 12+ years these days?
    I've still got the compass I used in TD (technical drawing) classes. I suspect I would have kept the slide rule if I'd ever owned one, so they were perhaps handed out in lessons or something. Not sure about log books, but I don't have any now.

Maths was quite advanced at (a good) primary school (Alpha and Beta books, anyone remember those?), but at comprehensive we did 'SMP maths' which was useless.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Did anyone here use a slide rule in earnest? I remember being taught to use log tables at school, although I just caught the end of that as calculators were available, but not able to be used in exams. Although come t think of it, by the time exams did come up, calculators were allowed. Or maybe I'm mixing them not being allowed at 'O'' level and being allowed at 'A' level.
    Still have my log tables book complete with graffiti. Used slide rule (now lost) in O’ level course but not exam in 60s.

Also did technical drawing, metalwork (lathe forge etc)
    German and optional Russian languages.
    Do kids do that at 12+ years these days?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    On one of my first jobs they taught me in excruciating detail how to use a 'Pilot ballon slide rule'.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I was surprised (I was going to go with 'shocked' but that implies caring a bit more than I do) to find that today's curriculum doesn't cover base numbers. So your GCSE maths passer hasn't a clue about binary or hex.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Did anyone here use a slide rule in earnest? I remember being taught to use log tables at school, although I just caught the end of that as calculators were available, but not able to be used in exams. Although come t think of it, by the time exams did come up, calculators were allowed. Or maybe I'm mixing them not being allowed at 'O'' level and being allowed at 'A' level.
    I remember being taught to use a calculator instead of tables to obtain the value of the logarithm. Which in retrospect seems a rather long winded way of going about it.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    You're making this up aren't you - you never went to school.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    We had to divide and multiply (numbers) on paper
    You had paper in the Soviet Union?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=7040,1553789

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    so did I

as I have taught my daughters too.

One of the biggest problems with the kids of today is they have no number bonds - because all they ever do is punch numbers into a calculator/computer and get an answer

with no idea of how the answer is worked out.
    I did not have weekly allowance also - there was no such thing in Soviet state

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    so did I

as I have taught my daughters too.

One of the biggest problems with the kids of today is they have no number bonds - because all they ever do is punch numbers into a calculator/computer and get an answer

with no idea of how the answer is worked out.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
    Hadn't the abacus been invented yet then?
    We had to divide and multiply (numbers) on paper
    Last edited by AtW; 4 February 2010, 14:36.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X