• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Londinium

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Londinium"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    For those of us with nice flats in the centre of London and the luxury of being able to walk to work, time is not a problem. To some extent you choose whether you want to join the rat race or not.
    My flat is moreorless in the centre of London, and my current contract is in Redhill - Looks a doddle on the map, only 20 miles as the crow flies, but it's a 1.5 hour drive (on a good day - sometimes 2 hours) each way, and that's commuting _out_ of London! Dunno about the rat race, but I wouldn't mind joining the crow race if it meant I could fly straight there and back!

They're a great little company though - I got an email a couple of weeks ago out of the blue, saying I could start the next morning. No interview, or phone call, or anything, and I'm now getting some very useful design and coding experience in search engine marketing with several search engines (Google, Overture, MSN, etc). Should look good on the CV in a few months
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 19 December 2005, 20:40.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Ah but you must have been impressed by our street lights, tarmac on the roads, flushing loos and things called computers.
    And the smell of traffic, the smog, Ken Livingstone, kengestion charging, discovering what makes some Muslims tick, so many cars you can't drive, no parking, pot dealers on every corner surrounded by a queue of children on lunch break, standing in a tube train elbow to nose with people with low personal hygiene standards, or running at high speed to avoid the horde of armed police who want to blow your brains out ...

It beats Luton though.

Fungus.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by el duder
    visited London this weekend, a big catch up with mates and girlfriends alike, all of whom have settled in London for the time being..

anwyays, after catching up with them all over tooo many beers i realised that they have all gone mad.

one particular friend, was standing talking to me telling me how he has 'only got 16yrs' before he is 50..

while other conversations revolved around girlfriends talkign to me looking confused and asking me so what is your 'long term plan' ... with their head to one side, showering sympathy on me cause obviously, clearly my life was not going anywhere cause i didnt have a girlfriend.

it was crazy.

most of them seemed to be tulipting themselves, mainly cause they thought they didnt have enough time in there lives. i am actually happy to be outside of London its really refreshing to break out of the bubble.
    Ah but you must have been impressed by our street lights, tarmac on the roads, flushing loos and things called computers.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    When someone says "I work hard, play hard" it initially makes cringe. Then I reflect and actually begin to feel sorry for them. There is so much more to life than running around like a blue ar*e fly.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    For those of us with nice flats in the centre of London and the luxury of being able to walk to work, time is not a problem. To some extent you choose whether you want to join the rat race or not.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    u r da man

perhaps you will be skint in your latter years but that's not the end of the world

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    started a topic Londinium

Londinium

visited London this weekend, a big catch up with mates and girlfriends alike, all of whom have settled in London for the time being..

anwyays, after catching up with them all over tooo many beers i realised that they have all gone mad.

one particular friend, was standing talking to me telling me how he has 'only got 16yrs' before he is 50..

while other conversations revolved around girlfriends talkign to me looking confused and asking me so what is your 'long term plan' ... with their head to one side, showering sympathy on me cause obviously, clearly my life was not going anywhere cause i didnt have a girlfriend.

it was crazy.

most of them seemed to be tulipting themselves, mainly cause they thought they didnt have enough time in there lives. i am actually happy to be outside of London its really refreshing to break out of the bubble.

Working...
X