• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Proving your identity!?"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    I dont want an ID card for travel purposes. The fact that it could also serve as a passport to EU countries would only be an added bonus if I ever had need to travel within the EU in the next 10 years.
    Fair enough - I'm just pointing out that Home Office propoganda about using the ID card instead of a passport is overstated - the Germans, for example, don't recognise the UK ID card in place of a passport yet (although it is a moot point as you pointed out the ludicrous requirement to have a passport as well). If the ID card replaced photo drivng licence, passport etc and did all three things it might have some appeal (although I'd be concerned about a single point of failure), but it doesn't. It's a piece of goverment stupidity - a "solution" looking for a problem that doesn't actually exist.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You really are clueless, arent you. Dont bother with the pm. You're on ignore.
    Coward.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You most certain did suggest someone using an offshore scheme should hold a passport. When further shown even that argument failed since I did have a passport when in the scheme and that one doesnt need a passport for the IoM, where the scheme I was in was based, you tried to wriggle out of it by questioning people's intelligence.
    I'll take your word that you had a UK passport at the time.

This does not change my argument - it was NOT about whether you need British passport to be in such scheme or not, it has nothing to do with it. Rather lack of British passport and participation in such schemes is a good indicator to me that the person has been resident here and should pay tax as onshore rates require.

And the point that I was trying to obtain a UK id card seems to have flown straight over your head.
    I don't give a tulip about ID card.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I have no issues with that... apart from you supporting Nu Liebor initiatives and helping them justify massive taxpayer money waste

You see, you are making assumptions about me without digging well - smart posters on here who've known me for some time would not make such mistake (stupid ones might ): IR35 does not concern me in any shape or form.

I am very white - I am going to PM you now details, and feel free to post here your response whether you think such details are white or not. Don't worry I don't expect you to PM me your arrangement - I don't want to know them
    You really are clueless, arent you. Dont bother with the pm. You're on ignore.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Ere Bolshie good luck with using an ID card for travel. The whole thing, like most government projects, is a ******* expensive pointless shambles.
    I dont want an ID card for travel purposes. The fact that it could also serve as a passport to EU countries would only be an added bonus if I ever had need to travel within the EU in the next 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    In any event, I want a UK id card because it is more relevant to my circumstances. Its also a lot easier to carry around plus it allows me to travel to offshore countries if I ever had the future need to do so.
    I have no issues with that... apart from you supporting Nu Liebor initiatives and helping them justify massive taxpayer money waste

my exposure is roughly the same as if I had operated under IR35 (you do organise your tax affairs as IR35 caught, dont you?)
    You see, you are making assumptions about me without digging well - smart posters on here who've known me for some time would not make such mistake (stupid ones might ): IR35 does not concern me in any shape or form.

Its interesting you use the word 'cheat' and 'piss takers' number of times in your posts. I suspect this is just to illicit some response. In fact, it shows your complete and utter ignorance on the whole taxation issue and I truely wonder how white you are in this respect.
    I am very white - I am going to PM you now details, and feel free to post here your response whether you think such details are white or not. Don't worry I don't expect you to PM me your arrangement - I don't want to know them

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied

You are mistaken thinking that I meant to say that British Passport was necessary to join one of those schemes. Most likely not, and that's not the point.

The point I was making is probably too subtle for you and Mr Bolshie - I'd type it again but I think you are a bit too thick to understand it mate.

The biggest point though is that an immigrant to UK reads lectures to locals on how it is the right thing to pay their "fair share of tax"
    We understand the point you were originally trying to make before I illustrated the holes in your 'argument.' Then, you changed tack and started trying to turn this into a debate of BN66.

You most certain did suggest someone using an offshore scheme should hold a passport. When further shown even that argument failed since I did have a passport when in the scheme and that one doesnt need a passport for the IoM, where the scheme I was in was based, you tried to wriggle out of it by questioning people's intelligence.

And the point that I was trying to obtain a UK id card seems to have flown straight over your head.

That just proves what a ******* clown you are.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    1. He doesn't need/want a passport as it's a travel document and he doesn't intend to travel.
    2. He wants (for reasons that make sense to him if not me) an ID card which like other European ID cards can also act as a travel document and it has a stupid (imho) requirement to have a valid passport first.
    3. As Bolshie pointed out the Isle of Man like the Channel Islands do NOT require a British citizen to have a passport despite them being offshore for tax purposes as well as physically.
    4. When and for all of the time that Bolshie was using the IoM offshore scheme he had a perfectly valid passport so AtW's bleating about irony is complete and utter cow excrement.

You are mistaken thinking that I meant to say that British Passport was necessary to join one of those schemes. Most likely not, and that's not the point.

The point I was making is probably too subtle for you and Mr Bolshie - I'd type it again but I think you are a bit too thick to understand it mate.

The biggest point though is that an immigrant to UK reads lectures to locals on how it is the right thing to pay their "fair share of tax"

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Ere Bolshie good luck with using an ID card for travel. The whole thing, like most government projects, is a ******* expensive pointless shambles.
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 16 February 2010, 22:37.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    And have babies.. they should have a test for that too.
    That falls under the oxygen consumption rule too.

I wonder if AtW will ever admit that he's barking up totally the wrong tree on his "arguments"?

Bolshie even though he's far too aggressive and unpleasant in most of his posts is making a perfectly valid set of points.

1. He doesn't need/want a passport as it's a travel document and he doesn't intend to travel.
    2. He wants (for reasons that make sense to him if not me) an ID card which like other European ID cards can also act as a travel document and it has a stupid (imho) requirement to have a valid passport first.
    3. As Bolshie pointed out the Isle of Man like the Channel Islands do NOT require a British citizen to have a passport despite them being offshore for tax purposes as well as physically.
    4. When and for all of the time that Bolshie was using the IoM offshore scheme he had a perfectly valid passport so AtW's bleating about irony is complete and utter cow excrement.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Get yourself a passport and have a nice holiday...

I can do all that and more with an id card.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picts
    The Picts were a confederation of tribes living in what was later to become eastern and northern Scotland from before the Roman conquest of Britain until the 10th century. They lived to the north of the Forth and Clyde rivers, and spoke the extinct Pictish language, thought to have been related to the Brythonic languages spoken by the Britons to the south. They are assumed to have been the descendants of the Caledonii and other tribes named by Roman historians or found on the world map of Ptolemy. Pictland, also known as Pictavia, was gradually absorbed by the Gaelic kingdom of Dál Riata to form the Kingdom of Alba (Scotland). Alba expanded, absorbing the Brythonic kingdom of Strathclyde and Bernician Lothian, and by the 11th century the Pictish identity had become completely subsumed under a new term for this amalgamation of peoples: the "Scots".
    Thanks

Naturally.

For one of my alleged FemBots

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Amen and what CM said too.

I'm fed up with being a Brit abroad in cities and places that think all Brits are kissball wearing, beer swilling, foul mouthed disrespectful arrogant tossers.

Mind you I'd also make the chav scum pass a test to be allowed to consume oxygen too
    And have babies.. they should have a test for that too.

Although, lets not be too hard on those with a "colourful" turn of phrase

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    It's true mate, even though this is in large part due to the fact that we did not have revenues until recently, so my salary of £0 wasn't because I shifted income, it was just that - zero. Now however I do pay myself decent salary, not minimal - it sure costs more in tax, but I don't want the distraction of HMRC making any questions, even though my firm is totally outside of IR35.

Yes, they already did that to me by abolishing taper relief -

I did not attempt to say that - I just find it ironic that someone who is into offshore stuff covered by legislation meant to deal with people who ain't UK residents lives in the UK and also has not even got UK passport (at this time).

I have no idea what the requirements were for your scheme or others, I stay away from that stuff as far as possible.

I find that you take a lot of things for granted, once of which value of UK passport. I guess if you are born into it rather than having to earn it (like myself) it's value is very different: a lot more for me, and a lot less for you.

When it comes to laws one thing I like in this country is that laws are generally putting onus on common sense, and when piss takers appear they get book thrown at them. I like it because this is very much different from many backwards states like Russia where laws are very detailed and regulate every aspect of your life, here it's much more freedom, but piss takers need to be dealt with unless freedom for the rest is curtailed.

This means (from my point of view) that piss takers not only screw up the tax payers, but also result in harder laws for the rest of us.

Mate, please remind me which one of us is facing large tax bill due to taking part in tax schemes successfully challenged by HMRC? I am not actually laughing at you - but it amazes me you feel the need to laugh at me?

You have still had to change your tack from your original postings, which is, someone must have a valid passport to use an offshore scheme and, is frankly ludicrous, to one of now questioning the legality of an offshore scheme.

In any event, I want a UK id card because it is more relevant to my circumstances. Its also a lot easier to carry around plus it allows me to travel to offshore countries if I ever had the future need to do so.

These are just a couple of the reasons why I will not obtain another passport.

As far as my exposure to the recent unprecedented retrospective tax change, my exposure is roughly the same as if I had operated under IR35 (you do organise your tax affairs as IR35 caught, dont you?) should HMRC eventually win. Im fighting BN66 due to its wider implications.

Its interesting you use the word 'cheat' and 'piss takers' number of times in your posts. I suspect this is just to illicit some response. In fact, it shows your complete and utter ignorance on the whole taxation issue and I truely wonder how white you are in this respect.

As I said, as a clown, you are a ******* joke.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Get yourself a passport and have a nice holiday...

And that would be perfectly legitimate usage of offshores ...

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    This is an excellent idea. By requiring a decent standard of English from all passport applicants, maybe we can prevent council estate chavs from terrorizing Europe’s holiday resorts.
    Amen and what CM said too.

I'm fed up with being a Brit abroad in cities and places that think all Brits are kissball wearing, beer swilling, foul mouthed disrespectful arrogant tossers.

Mind you I'd also make the chav scum pass a test to be allowed to consume oxygen too

Leave a comment:

Working...
X