• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: GBP collapse

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "GBP collapse"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    I wouldn't invest is US$ right now - I've been waiting for the pound to collapse for months, and it hasn't happened. A change of 1 or 2 cents is nothing.

The pound is annoyingly resilient

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    exchange your wedge for twice the official rate on the street (easy, believe me),
    Just don't get caught, it's quite expensive bribing coppers when you only have a rudimentary grasp of the local language.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    A lesson I learned in the 1980s when the pound suddenly slumped by about a third against the DM. 9-10% interest was luvverly until that happened.

It was very tempting to shift more into sterling just a couple of years ago, but by staying firm I managed to miss the fall and the Icelandic worries too.
    I don't see high interest rates being on the cards, too many people have too high mortgages - about a million are struggling with current ultra low interest rates and if house prices were to drop, the banks might fold again? Seems like currency collapse or hyperinflation is the only realistic option.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    1.00 USD = 4,446.40 ZMK

Yep, turn your worthless Pounds into an even more worthless currency.

Alternatively, take £10k from the bank, go to Bucharest, Istanbul or similar, exchange your wedge for twice the official rate on the street (easy, believe me), go to the nearest bank and Western Union it back to yourself and take a 90-100% profit for a few hours work.

PZZ
    Last edited by pzz76077; 22 January 2010, 19:35.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    You cant go wrong with Zambian Kwachas.
    1.00 USD = 4,446.40 ZMK

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I have about 10% of company holdings in EUR.

It earns cock all interest but that's not really an issue these days when comparing to UK business accounts.
    A lesson I learned in the 1980s when the pound suddenly slumped by about a third against the DM. 9-10% interest was luvverly until that happened.

It was very tempting to shift more into sterling just a couple of years ago, but by staying firm I managed to miss the fall and the Icelandic worries too.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Do you think it is a good idea to open a USD denominated bank account (eg Cater Allen currency account) and stick a large sum of pounds into dollars?

Would this be a sensible thing to do as there word on the street is that the USD is going to make a comeback and the pound is going to sink?
    You cant go wrong with Zambian Kwachas.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    When the $ starts getting stronger and gbp & euro weaker, start selling your equities. Guess that means now
    Obama caused a sharp selloff in equities this week by his remarks about bank regulation.

Not that it matters which way the gbp is going for me. I've been scalping the market all week.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 22 January 2010, 18:09.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Do you think it is a good idea to open a USD denominated bank account (eg Cater Allen currency account) and stick a large sum of pounds into dollars?

Would this be a sensible thing to do as there word on the street is that the USD is going to make a comeback and the pound is going to sink?
    Bad DimPrawn.

Tell the nice boys and girls the truth now.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    At your choice of nightclub HAB, I'm sure it will.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    I hear that the Macarena is going to make a comeback too.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    The Pound has taken a bit of a pounding today.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Get a balanced busket of currencies to hedge your risks and stop being a dirty currency spekulant - in Soviet Union they were giving 10-15 years for that

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

What's their interest rate and are there any restrictions/conditions to opening a USD account?

What about Euro's?

And what about buying safer shares like Tesco or BP too?

It will be interesting to see what will be most doomed: GBP, Euro, Dollar, shares, gold, property, etc. Converting to and fro between them isn't a cheap option either.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I have about 10% of company holdings in EUR.

It earns cock all interest but that's not really an issue these days when comapring to UK business accounts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X