• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why is Christmas so disappointing"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    It's over-hyped for months and becomes a bit of an anti-climax.

More people behave like nobs than usual.
    The worst run up to Christmas I had was staying in a hotel for a contract where I was on 24 hour callout. I had to suffer the drunken office parties* that took over the hotel restaurant, when I was stone cold sober. It was hell on earth and I ended up dining in my room.

* Office Christmas parties bring out those who don't know how to hold their drink or behave with any decorum whatsoever under the influence.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Isn't there an official 'most depressing day of the year' in this period?
    The media calls it 'official' but it's actually just some geezer (Cliff Arnall?) with a formula. And he tailors it to suit when the papers want to run the story based on the weather and what else is going on in the world.

It can be either mid-month or end of the month to match pay-day. It can be either Jan or Feb to match when the credit card bills come in.

But it is all bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    It's over-hyped for months and becomes a bit of an anti-climax.

More people behave like nobs than usual.

Post-Xmas is a bit depressing. Come 2nd January, all most people have to look forward to is months of cold weather and work. Isn't there an official 'most depressing day of the year' in this period?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    We actually enjoyed a very good Christmas.

We avoided anything to do with TV (cause it was utterly awful) and instead spent time being defeated by the brother in-law on the Wii... and stuffing our faces with lots of glorious food we had procured earlier from the farmers market.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Christmas is disappointing as you are no longer 8 years old. Despite what Mrs EO says.....

B@stard

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Look, I might have had ten pints, but I have this theory.

Christmas is at the end of the year, its caps the year, it is the annual year-orgasm. We have spring, it warms up, we have summer, its warm and nice, then it gets cooler and the leaves fall down. Finally we get a cold spell, then right at the end, we have Christmas to make us all feel better again.

Except Christmas is not at the end of Winter, its near the beginning, which screws all the planning up. I reckon we should either move winter forward two months, or move Christmas back to Easter.

hic

Christmas is disappointing as you are no longer 8 years old. Despite what Mrs EO says.....

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I got another bloody decanter while I asked Santa for an Evel Knievel set.

Christmas is indeed tulipe. When will people learn? I don´t want crap decanters and I´ll buy my own wine; life´s too short to drink cheap wine. I want Evel Knievel sets, train sets, Scalextric, radio controlled helicopters and so on.
    Hear Hear!

I got a Draper pro workstation for my radial arm saw and a 500gb external hard drive

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Look, I might have had ten pints, but I have this theory.

Christmas is at the end of the year, its caps the year, it is the annual year-orgasm. We have spring, it warms up, we have summer, its warm and nice, then it gets cooler and the leaves fall down. Finally we get a cold spell, then right at the end, we have Christmas to make us all feel better again.

Except Christmas is not at the end of Winter, its near the beginning, which screws all the planning up. I reckon we should either move winter forward two months, or move Christmas back to Easter.

hic

I got another bloody decanter while I asked Santa for an Evel Knievel set.

Christmas is indeed tulipe. When will people learn? I don´t want crap decanters and I´ll buy my own wine; life´s too short to drink cheap wine. I want Evel Knievel sets, train sets, Scalextric, radio controlled helicopters and so on.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    A great time of year to receive tat you don't want, only to pass it onto charity shops.

It's the hype about the food, from November onwards, you have instructions on how to cook the "perfect turkey", re-runs of Delia, Jamie, Nigella, Hugh F-W specials that hacks me off.

You'd think people had never cooked a turkey in their life...

Bah Humbug!

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    I wasn't disappointed. This year met my expectations of it being a boring, frustrating, repetitive waste of time full of idiotic tulipheads.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    It isn't?
    It is in this household - even wear the lederhosen and try and carry 6 steins of Winter Ale at a time.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    A great time of year to receive tat you don't want, only to pass it onto charity shops.
    Someone I know got lots of lovely presents, carefully took them out of their wrapping and boxes. Re-wrapped the now empty boxes, put them outside their local charity shop, (just the other side of the road,) and set a video camera to film as they got stolen one by one...

They're behind some of the bizarrest TV adverts going at the moment. So it might yet just end up on TV...

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied

It's the hype about the food, from November onwards, you have instructions on how to cook the "perfect turkey", re-runs of Delia, Jamie, Nigella, Hugh F-W specials that hacks me off.

Bah Humbug!
    Goose, booze, more booze, cool pressies, yet more booze then New Year.

Repeat minus the goose and pressies till next year.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied

Bah Humbug!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Christmas should be like Octoberfest - 16 days of continual drunken fun.
    It isn't?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X