• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Dear: £15 extra on car fines to help victims of domestic violence and sex attacks"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Get rid of your car?

Well I'm sure many would if public transport worked.
    Probably, sadly there's no real alternative for much of the country outside of the M25.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Yup, don't speed/park improperly/drive badly. Foolproof.
    Get rid of your car?

Well I'm sure many would if public transport worked.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I have a foolproof and dead easy way to avoid all these fines - I'll share it for less than the surcharge.
    Yup, don't speed/park improperly/drive badly. Foolproof.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    That's not it. If you're trying to characterise me as a Labour supporter you are wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Labour voters excluded from the fines?
    That's not it. If you're trying to characterise me as a Labour supporter you are wrong.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    Who can be bothered to look it up in Hansard?

I thought that Statutory Instruments could only be used as a shortcut to push through legislation that harmonised the UK with EU law. Anything else has to go through the whole Parliament and House of Lords process.

It wouldn't surprise me to discover that this process has been abused for years though....
    Yes. sort of correct. What has happened is that all new acts passed by this government have been 'enabling acts' in that extras can be added to them by Statutory Instruments. It's called Rule by Decree, and pretty common in most Western countries now. Welcome to the final call of 'representative democracy'.

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    They're just making the punishment fit the crime. A totally different crime, admittedly, but there are priorities to observe:

1. cling fast to a worldview full of "victims", who can only be helped by you the Labour Government.
    2. invent pet schemes to give money to those "victims".
    3. find funding from somewhere, anywhere, for your pet schemes.

This has the same starting point as another set of priorities:
    1. cling fast to a worldview full of "victims", who can only be helped by you the Labour Government.
    2. realise that only you the Labour Government have the will both to help those "victims" and to extract the funding needed.
    3. find ways of ensuring that you remain in Government.

2010 will be a memorable year.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I have a foolproof and dead easy way to avoid all these fines - I'll share it for less than the surcharge.
    Labour voters excluded from the fines?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    have a read of the Reader's comments to that article, excellent.

Milan.

God give me strength, what Amoeba in this shambles of a government thought this little gem up?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I was just saying to my wife Jemima, as we sat eating our organic muesli and drinking fairtrade decaf with soya milk over breakfast, that this article in the Guardian did rather poke our consciences somewhat.

Jemima summed it up perfectly.

She said :

"Giles, you must remember that driving is not a victimless crime. By exceeding the time limit the other day when you went to Oxfam to get the Winterval Presents, you deprived a battered woman (or man) the chance to park. That will now result in them getting a beating from their partner for your thoughtless actions."

I was beside myself with guilt, and wanted to rush out to the police station to hand myself in immediately.

Jemima said that I was being silly, since the law had not been passed yet, but she said perhaps I could donate £15 to the Donkey Sanctuary on page 5, as that would be a fair recompense for my mindless middle class behaviour.

So we sat together with tears running down our eyes, as we sponsored "Sam", the donkey. Even the kids were crying and young Justin ran to his bedroom to strip his bed of blankets, and they are having great fun making a "Donkey Care Parcel" with their toys.

Afterwards, we sung the Red Flag together and cleaned the family 2CV.

It's good to be holier than the rest of the street. Not in a religious way obviously like the dreaded you know whos, apart from the other one that wear the body tent things (as Justin calls them..tsk..tsk) which is ok of course.
    I feel so bad about the potential victims of my motoring offences:

SP30 = 31 in a 30 limit.
    Parked in a meter bay from 08:30 to 08:32
    Front number plate partially obscured by bumper trim.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied

I thought that Statutory Instruments could only be used as a shortcut to push through legislation that harmonised the UK with EU law. Anything else has to go through the whole Parliament and House of Lords process.

It wouldn't surprise me to discover that this process has been abused for years though....
    I dunno about that, but I know they used it to extend the Proceeds of Crime act - I'm not sure that would be under EU harmonisation, but can see how it could be...

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I read it as they'd already done it by statutory instrument. I can't be arsed to look it up in Hansard to work out which one of us is right though...

Last edited by Gonzo; 2 January 2010, 11:55. Reason: Typo

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I read it that currently people who get a conviction get hit with the extra charge but that to extend this to fixed penalty notices will require changes to the law that the government don't have the capacity to do.
    I read it as they'd already done it by statutory instrument. I can't be arsed to look it up in Hansard to work out which one of us is right though...

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    It's already happened...
    I read it that currently people who get a conviction get hit with the extra charge but that to extend this to fixed penalty notices will require changes to the law that the government don't have the capacity to do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X