• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Been thinking

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Been thinking"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by newblood View Post
    3 Months later I had setup everything - a website, spoke to some indians outsourcers and then ...... I realized I had no clients nor an idea how to get clients.

Then came Plans C , D , E , D all failing miserably one after another. I am now sitting here trying to figure out the next plan.

It is now painfully obvious that I have repeated the same mistake over and over ( start a biz with market research and plan , not with what you know about ) but I have tried , will keep trying and that is all that matter.
    Three maxims for you:
    1. Business case, business case, business case.
    2. And if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
    3. You haven't failed until you've given up trying.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    hmmm presumably some gut instinct and some guts to go along with that too?
    There is some gut instinct to it, yes. After watching the charts fulltime for almost 2 years, I am starting to develop it.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Great. Where do I start? Any good links to reading material?
    Nothing beats experience. For me the learning has been the same as doing another degree. Also expect to blow up your account numerous times until you finally "get it".

These books are worthwhile:

Mark Douglas - Trading in The Zone, as I always recommend.
    Martin Pring on Price Patterns
    Steve Nisson - The Candlestick Course
    DeMark - The New Science of Technical Analysis
    Edwin Lefevre - Reminiscences of a Stock Operator

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    You must be doing this full-time right? Could you make 500 per day at it - or whatever a good contractor rate is these days..?
    If you make 5% a week of your trading capital, then you are doing very well and better than most hedge fund managers. However, if you try to achieve this by risking more than 2% of your account at any one time, then you wont stick around for long.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by newblood View Post
    13 months ago I stopped talking to agents to try my plan B which was kinda setting myself up as a development company. 3 Months later I had setup everything - a website, spoke to some indians outsourcers and then ...... I realized I had no clients nor an idea how to get clients.

Then came Plans C , D , E , D all failing miserably one after another.

I am now sitting here trying to figure out the next plan , but have learned a great piece of advice. Don't quit your plan A until Plan B is working.

That said I am not particularly clever, It is now painfully obvious that I have repeated the same mistake over and over ( start a biz with market research and plan , not with what you know about )
    but I have tried , will keep trying and that is all that matter.
    Well done for keeping tring and the very best of luck to you.

Leave a comment:

• newblood
    replied
    13 months ago I stopped talking to agents to try my plan B which was kinda setting myself up as a development company. 3 Months later I had setup everything - a website, spoke to some indians outsourcers and then ...... I realized I had no clients nor an idea how to get clients.

Then came Plans C , D , E , D all failing miserably one after another.

I am now sitting here trying to figure out the next plan , but have learned a great piece of advice. Don't quit your plan A until Plan B is working.

That said I am not particularly clever, It is now painfully obvious that I have repeated the same mistake over and over ( start a biz with market research and plan , not with what you know about )
    but I have tried , will keep trying and that is all that matter.
    Last edited by newblood; 28 December 2009, 23:18.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    For me, the boredom of programming the same thing over and over again happened years ago. And their are definitely as many numpties in finance as every other sector.

Thats why I'm day trading.

You don't need any stock, office space, customers. Just a laptop and an internet connection.
    You must be doing this full-time right? Could you make 500 per day at it - or whatever a good contractor rate is these days..?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    For me, the boredom of programming the same thing over and over again happened years ago. And their are definitely as many numpties in finance as every other sector.

You don't need any stock, office space, customers. Just a laptop and an internet connection.
    Great. Where do I start? Any good links to reading material?

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied

hmmm presumably some gut instinct and some guts to go along with that too?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    Step away from IT.
    OK. Would you care to elaborate?

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Step away from IT.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Note to suity - don't work in Lloyd's of London HTH Small market, incestuous and small minds, if you're willing to put up with that then, fine.

You're out of it so don't worry.
    I think I got unlucky with the particular Lloyds firm I was at. I have kept in touch with one of the developers there and after I left the management from Director of IT down were removed.

It wasn't me, it wasn't the Lloyds market. It was most definately them.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Programming will become fun again. I keep getting disillusioned and then come back to it. I don't mind so much if I have other things to do as well.
    You could set up an e-commerce site on the side and maybe SY02 could help out with the orders?
    Cheer up mate - 2010 is going to be a good 'un
    That's the sort of thing I was thinking. Although not so much on the side as more of plan b becoming plan a. If I can sell PCs and geek stuff locally to business and consumer then from the contacts I make I could score programming work. Then I spend most of my days monkeying around with the latest kit, writing reviews for the site and dabbling in a little code.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Finance sector is sh!te I'm afraid. Full of bullys, primadonas and they work you into the ground. Also up their own arses. They are so closed off to the idea of allowing people with no previous experience that they allow the same numpties to continue getting work rather than plumping for talent.

Hate them hate them hate them

HTH
    Note to suity - don't work in Lloyd's of London HTH Small market, incestuous and small minds, if you're willing to put up with that then, fine.

You're out of it so don't worry.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Finance sector is sh!te I'm afraid. Full of bullys, primadonas and they work you into the ground. Also up their own arses. They are so closed off to the idea of allowing people with no previous experience that they allow the same numpties to continue getting work rather than plumping for talent.

HTH
    Programming will become fun again. I keep getting disillusioned and then come back to it. I don't mind so much if I have other things to do as well.
    You could set up an e-commerce site on the side and maybe SY02 could help out with the orders?
    Cheer up mate - 2010 is going to be a good 'un

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I've tried every sector, and Finance is the place with fun coding.

AeroSpace you'd think, 'rocket science' and all that, but it is actually pretty much full of numpties who are so far up themselves and surrounded by like minded types they don't realise how poor they are.

Telcos are always after 10% more features, but they want them 10% cheaper than last year.

Games can be fun on new hardware, but there're a lot of prima-donnas who aren't as good as they think they are, and they get in the way of doing a good job. Also the code quality has very little impact on the final product.

Fruit machines can be a real challenge, but you'll often find someone has already solved whatever problem and holds a patent, so most of the effort is working around patents, which can be a fun intellectual exercise, but not really coding fun.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X