• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is being a saver a losing strategy nowadays?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Dog's Heinous View Post
    Greetings esteemed CUKers!

I was brought up to be careful with money. If I want something, I usually save up and only buy it when I've got enough money such that I can afford it. The main exception would be if I were to buy a house, and even then I would only consider taking out a loan (ie mortgage) out of necessity.

When I say "saver" I include investing money in the stock market (for example in a FTSE All-Share index tracking fund) in addition to cash deposits in a savings account.

However, I've begun to feel like complete mug, considering that people who've been reckless (ie borrowing more than they can afford to pay back, borrowing without giving any thought to how they will pay it back, spending more than they can afford) seem to be no worse off than me, and are now apparently being let-off/bailed-out etc by the state. What with that, the pathetic returns from savings accounts, and the stock market performance having been so utterly disappointing over the last ten years, I'm beginning to wonder whether being a saver is a losing strategy nowadays. I blame the governments meddling in the economy. By not allowing businesses to fail, bailing people/banks/firms out, encouraging people to buy things they don't need (car scrappage scheme?) etc, they are distorting capitalism and creating a disincentive to be sensible, work hard, save for the long term etc.

What does the panel think, is it a mugs game to be a saver in modern Britain?

Cheers,
    Dog's Heinous
    Just my opinion. I'm as clueless as the next man!
    The reckless must pay for the damage they have caused.
    Yes, they should be made to pay!
    Did I say that the reckless should pay?
    Gordon has proved that the only way forward is to speculate. The question is what to speculate on. Personally I think wait until QE is reversed. Then sell FTSE and buy gilts.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Read it, logged in, replied, then saw the twat is on my Ignore List.

Arse.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Dog's Heinous View Post
    By not allowing businesses to fail, bailing people/banks/firms out, encouraging people to buy things they don't need (car scrappage scheme?) etc, they are distorting capitalism and creating a disincentive to be sensible, work hard, save for the long term etc. What does the panel think, is it a mugs game to be a saver in modern Britain?
    I think you should do your own A level homework.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Originally posted by Dog's Heinous
    Congratulations guys. That's another attempt at serious debate derailed by pedantic nit-picking and petty name-calling!

Dog's Heinous
    "The idiots are self-regarding consumer slaves, oblivious to the paradox of their own uniform individuality..." - Dan Ashcroft.

A bit harsh.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Congratulations guys. That's another attempt at serious debate derailed by pedantic nit-picking and petty name-calling!
    Boring debate

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Has he answered the question yet? You know, about ...
    I don't think he's mentioned Turkish prisons yet

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Welcome to CUK!
    Has he answered the question yet? You know, about ...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Dog's Heinous
    "The idiots are self-regarding consumer slaves, oblivious to the paradox of their own uniform individuality..." - Dan Ashcroft.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Assguru - If brains were made of dynamite, you wouldn't have enough to blow your (dunce's) cap off!

Dog's Heinous
    Pick the apostraphies out of that... sucker!

apostrophes

Welcome to CUK!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Who let the retard out on a Sunday?
    Wasn't he banned?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Ha ha, good call!

Actually, I've learned to love (well, maybe not love, but at least tollerate) assguru. CUK without assguru would be like a village without it's idiot.
    :-)

Dog's Heinous
    The most outspoken dog on CUK!
    The irony hangs heavy but is probably unnoticed.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Actually, I've learned to love (well, maybe not love, but at least tollerate) assguru. CUK without assguru would be like a village without it's idiot.

its

Materially you are correct though.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Just shut it you cretinous imbecile.
    You're like a pub bore.
    Who let the retard out on a Sunday?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Just shut it you cretinous imbecile.
    You're like a pub bore.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Is being a screen saver a losing strategy nowadays?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X