• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oh frak

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh frak"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    That's what comes of spending £25 on a 'head and shoulders' inspection on a quarter of a million pound house.

Still, could be worse. You could be in Kiev.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    White snow extracted from loft using washing up bowl. Then the problem was thawing the snow so it went down the bath plughole once the bath was full.

Melted snow has been soaked up by the loft insulation.

I have isolated the lighting circuit. No signs of bowing ceilings.

Please, no more snow.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    Once again you've beaten Wilmslow.
    Sig.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    it is Wilmslow

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    right. miles off track

henyway, sy, you ought to invest in a combi or condenser boiler - prob get a grant too!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by scotspine View Post
    am i missing something here...?
    Methinks he's talking about the header tank for the hot water cylinder.

Hot water cylinders don't buckle under the weight of snow.

unless it's an avalanche I suppose

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    am i missing something here...?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    No, no, no, no, nooooooooooooooooo!

That way the tank will freeze tonight and overflow because the ball cock is frozen solid. And that might do serious damage to the ceiling.

As you might guess, I've had problems with header tanks before
    Leave the loft hatch open and turn the heating up, should stop it from freezing?

Downside being the rozzers will probably turn up expecting to find a cannabis haul when they spot the glow from their chopper copper infrared camera.

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    ???

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    ...Or shovel it into the water tank where it will melt and disperse through the overflow then book a roofer for May.
    No, no, no, no, nooooooooooooooooo!

That way the tank will freeze tonight and overflow because the ball cock is frozen solid. And that might do serious damage to the ceiling.

As you might guess, I've had problems with header tanks before

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Why are you doing faffing about on an internet forum? I doubt the insurance will cover a badly maintained roof.
    Breakfasting.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by scotspine View Post
    sy, what are you using for tiles that will allow 6" of snow to get under them, used envelopes?
    1. I moved in June.
    2. I was not responsible for roof construction.
    3. Ordinary roof tiles, wooden frame.
    4. There is no roof felt. The snow is smaller than the gaps in the roof tiles and the snow got blown under the tiles.
    5. Good idea about the used envelopes, could be an improvement.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Why are you doing faffing about on an internet forum? I doubt the insurance will cover a badly constructed roof.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Why are you doing faffing about on an internet forum? I doubt the insurance will cover a badly maintained roof.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X