• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How dumb can you get?"

Collapse

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    If my parents had kept a couple of their old plates they would have been worth quite a lot of money...

...eventually, but it didn't seem worth the cost and hassle at the time
    The old man in the 1960s went to look at a Riley RMB. The price was £40 - £20 was for the car and £20 for the number plate (which was a 3-letter followed by 1 combo). When the owner took him out for a test drive the brakes failed resulting in a trip through a hedge and a bent wing. The owner then offered the whole lot for £20 which my old man was happy to agree to as he was still keen on the car. The Riley was eventually turned in to some made special with a Jag XK engine and fibreglass body by my Uncle and scrapped a good twenty years later. My Dad still has the plate though.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    A friend's parents named their son so that his initials matched the car reg they had at the time (which was a 1960 Rover). When he came to drive he had his own personalised number plate.
    If my parents had kept a couple of their old plates they would have been worth quite a lot of money...

...eventually, but it didn't seem worth the cost and hassle at the time

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    A friend's parents named their son so that his initials matched the car reg they had at the time (which was a 1960 Rover). When he came to drive he had his own personalised number plate.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Now that would have been a great trial to do jury duty on. What a plonker.

(Although I am a little niggled that such a toerag has a nice Beemer with a personalised registration plate. Crime doesn't pay? Really?)
    Judging by the usual standard of driving I'd say he was brighter than the average driver of a bimmer with a pathetic "personal" plate.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Probably more like a S-Type Jag, as the D-Types were and are worth serious cash.
    And nick the one with the small engine, handles better, way better. Top speed doesn't mean much in a chase believe it or not.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Prefrably a D type Jag as that's what the stuntmen prefer.
    Probably more like a S-Type Jag, as the D-Types were and are worth serious cash.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Obviously too young to have watched Z Cars, The Sweeney etc. In that era, any fule knu that you should nick a car for a bank job.
    Prefrably a D type Jag as that's what the stuntmen prefer.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Now that would have been a great trial to do jury duty on. What a plonker.

(Although I am a little niggled that such a toerag has a nice Beemer with a personalised registration plate. Crime doesn't pay? Really?)

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    10 years for stealing £100,000 - compare that with bank losses and nobody walked the plank for it

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    James Snell, 27, of Cardiff, used his BMW with the number J4 MES to plan a raid on the Halifax, where he and accomplices stole £100,000.
    Obviously too young to have watched Z Cars, The Sweeney etc. In that era, any fule knu that you should nick a car for a bank job.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    started a topic How dumb can you get?

How dumb can you get?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8411976.stm

Own car with personalised number plate

That's almost in the same league as driving your quad bike up a railway line after a job & getting run over by a train.

Working...
X