• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Gobble

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gobble"

Collapse

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I'd eat it. I'm not a fan of sell by dates - if it smells or tastes off it's off, else it's Ok to eat IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    We once had a Haggis in the freezer for 3 years which we had to eat as it was the last remaining edible thing in the household. It was bloody disgusting once we had clubbed it to death after it had been thawed.

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    There are millions of people starving and you want to throw food away.

Get a conscience man, give it to the mother in law.
    She is coming round christmas day to do her usual ruining thing.
    I could always cook it up anyway. A "special xmas turkey" just for her.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Frozen supermarket turkey should be safe for years, given the way they pump it full of brine under high pressure, to increase its weight (*), and reduce the risk of food poisoning for people who leave the cooked turkey lying around for days over Christmas.

Damn, reminds me, I haven't got round to ordering my goose yet. It's probably too late now.

(*) The supermarkets claim the brine treatment is designed to make it more juicy.
    If it is "Guaranteed Salmonella Free" then it has also been irradiated with a very powerful Cobalt-60 source...

So if it's been kept chilled, well, even as long as the bag hasn't been opened, it'll last like the Pharaohs.

Safe to eat, no worries.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    There are millions of people starving and you want to throw food away.

Get a conscience man, give it to the mother in law.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I thought this post might be about something else for a minute there....
    Reminds me of an old song I know to the tune of Michael rowed the boat ashore.

Anway, as long as the turkey has been safely frozen for the year then there will be no issue with the taste or quality. If you can be assured of that then go for it. I was a butcher for 5 years and although we would never have given a frozen bird from out freezers for sale there is no issue with eating one that has been totally frozen. Usual disclaimers apply.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    I wouldn't eat it. Food poisoning is unpleasant.

Expensive... for those that don't get paid when sick...

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I thought this post might be about something else for a minute there....

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Frozen supermarket turkey should be safe for years, given the way they pump it full of brine under high pressure, to increase its weight (*), and reduce the risk of food poisoning for people who leave the cooked turkey lying around for days over Christmas.

Damn, reminds me, I haven't got round to ordering my goose yet. It's probably too late now.

(*) The supermarkets claim the brine treatment is designed to make it more juicy.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
    Thats a very good point!
    Don't think we'll bother taking the risk.

Thanks!
    Rhubarb.
    We're good, aren't we?

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    (And it may have already been 2 years old when you bought it, as we discovered when the Missus worked for Waitrose and confirmed when she worked at Tesco.)
    Thats a very good point!
    Don't think we'll bother taking the risk.

Thanks!
    Rhubarb.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
    We've had a turkey in our freezer for about a year now.
    Any thoughts on whether it's safe to cook and eat or not ?

Rhubarb.
    I wouldn't eat it. Food poisoning is unpleasant.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Now that's cold. Brrrrrrrr.
    It certainly is. But according to the dial the contents will be fine because that end of the scale is simply marked "0K".

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    It depends upon how cold your freezer is. (And it may have already been 2 years old when you bought it, as we discovered when the Missus worked for Waitrose and confirmed when she worked at Tesco.)

Personally, I'd get it cooked and eaten and buy another one for Xmas. But then, we keep our freezer set to its "Alien Cryogenic" setting.
    Now that's cold. Brrrrrrrr. I suppose every time you go for an ice lolly you have to be quick in case "it" wakes.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    It depends upon how cold your freezer is. (And it may have already been 2 years old when you bought it, as we discovered when the Missus worked for Waitrose and confirmed when she worked at Tesco.)

Personally, I'd get it cooked and eaten and buy another one for Xmas. But then, we keep our freezer set to its "Alien Cryogenic" setting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X