• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brown's Bottomless Budgets"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    "I checked out some numbers. How fast did mobiles, computers, internet and satellite catch on under the tories in 18 years was it? Well they've grown much more in the last 8 years, mobiles by 5 times! Face it, thats growth."

That has got to be the worst argument ever submitted on this board! Has he noticed how the sales of the Spinning Jenny and the Seed Drill have fallen over recent times. Presumably that highlights the tough times faced in manufacturing and farming.
    Sense of humour injection for Tony English please...

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Actually, I saw a similar argument put forward in The Times this week. They were comparing 1997 to today, but I think their point was about perception. People FEEL better off today because they have now got this stuff, which they didn't have before. All those things were available in 1997.

We can obviously argue about the dodgy logic behind perception, but it is perception that wins votes.

How far did the Tories (or anyone else) get in eight years arguing that the economy will cave in thanks to Labour's policies? Nowhere, because it never happened and people cannot see it.

Hammer might be a simple soul, but he is fairly typical of the electorate.

HTH
    Perhaps NLs next election ploy will be ...Vote NL and get a free Nokia z666

Crass I know, but effective, nevetheless .

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    "I checked out some numbers. How fast did mobiles, computers, internet and satellite catch on under the tories in 18 years was it? Well they've grown much more in the last 8 years, mobiles by 5 times! Face it, thats growth."

That has got to be the worst argument ever submitted on this board!
    Actually, I saw a similar argument put forward in The Times this week. They were comparing 1997 to today, but I think their point was about perception. People FEEL better off today because they have now got this stuff, which they didn't have before. All those things were available in 1997.

We can obviously argue about the dodgy logic behind perception, but it is perception that wins votes.

How far did the Tories (or anyone else) get in eight years arguing that the economy will cave in thanks to Labour's policies? Nowhere, because it never happened and people cannot see it.

Hammer might be a simple soul, but he is fairly typical of the electorate.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied

That has got to be the worst argument ever submitted on this board! Has he noticed how the sales of the Spinning Jenny and the Seed Drill have fallen over recent times. Presumably that highlights the tough times faced in manufacturing and farming.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Hammer's got a point.

I did some research.

XBOX 360's sold under tories: 0
    XBOX 360's sold under New Lie: 57,589

Porsche Boxsters ownership under tories: 0
    Porsche Boxsters ownership New Lie: 370,478

Absolutely convincing truth that we are far better off now than we were then.
    You've never had it so good...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Hammer's got a point.

I did some research.

XBOX 360's sold under tories: 0
    XBOX 360's sold under New Lie: 57,589

Porsche Boxsters ownership under tories: 0
    Porsche Boxsters ownership New Lie: 370,478

Absolutely convincing truth that we are far better off now than we were then.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by hammer
    Fungus, if this is a bad year because of the oil and terrorism and weve still got growth, we are'nt doing bad. Take my word for it.

All due respect and all that.
    Didn't seem to bother the US much did it? The oil and terrorism is just buck passing. And excuses. Did they blame the growth of the previous years on terrorism and oil price rises? Mmm. Brown had nothing to do with it then.

The problem is the spend/tax/regulate now, pay later philosophy of Brown. Thatcher deregulated the economy and tamed the unions. But look how long it took for the benefits to feed through into the economy. The complexity of Tinker Browns rules, taxes, means tested benefits, blah blah blah is all too much. Oh and the stealing from the pensions.

Well having just read your comments on mobile phones etc I freely concede that I am clearly in the presence of a higher intelligence and I merely labour under the delusion of not being as thick as pig tulipe.

Fungus

Leave a comment:

• hammer
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Hammer maybe you should be called Jack. Obviously you are happy, happy that your taxes go to sweeping all the tulipe under the carpet, happy that you are unaffected by the problems that the half empty brigade on this site continuously wobble on about. I have to admire your "I am OK Jack" attitude. After all success can only be truly judged upon how happy you are.

So there is little point in challenging someone who sees life in such a positive way, good luck to you. Just dont come back here moaning if things start to go wrong.
    Fair enough. Its not all beer and crisps but I'm not unhappy. Thing is, Ive said all along, its not just me. Its "we're alright jack". Lots of voters. When we are'nt we'll vote in the other lot.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I am alright Jack

Honest, some of you lot sound just like my tory mates. they keep banging on as well.

None of my tory mates are unemployed or anything, so I ask what about the recession? And they say its coming. Probably in six months time. Theyve been saying that for 5 years. And house prices will crash.

5 years! And after 5 years we are still cracking on like a good un. All right the stock market did go down a bit once but that was Saddam and 911. Its been going up again eversince.

Look I'm not a tory or a labour. I can only say what I see and vote. If the countrys in the tulip Id hold me hands up and say, whoa! get rid! vote for the other lot! But it isnt. Its steady as she goes. I'm earning a few bob Ive bought a new DVD and I'm off to Florida next year on me hols so whats the problem.
    Hammer maybe you should be called Jack. Obviously you are happy, happy that your taxes go to sweeping all the tulipe under the carpet, happy that you are unaffected by the problems that the half empty brigade on this site continuously wobble on about. I have to admire your "I am OK Jack" attitude. After all success can only be truly judged upon how happy you are.

So there is little point in challenging someone who sees life in such a positive way, good luck to you. Just dont come back here moaning if things start to go wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    I checked out some numbers. How fast did mobiles, computers, internet and satellite catch on under the tories in 18 years was it? Well they've grown much more in the last 8 years, mobiles by 5 times! Face it, thats growth.

Your just getting screwed up with conspiracy theries and yopur glass is always half empty.

You tell em Hammer!

Leave a comment:

• hammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Excuse me, what did Saddam have to do with 911?

I really hope you're just taking the piss.

As far as having "mates" is concerned, I think the only ones you've got were bought from the vending machine in the gents bogs. And I think that's in the hope that you're mother finds them when she tidies your room so that she thinks her little boy is all grown up.
    I said saddam and 911. I never said saddam had anything to do with 911.

As an argument yours is a bit short dont you reckon? Saying Ive got no mates so a recession must be round the corner. Perhaps theyll teach that gem to economics students next year.

Tell me son, which of these two things isnt true. The economy grew last year. People voted for labour.

Thats all I say. That's facts. This is opinion. People feel comfy so they voted for who makes them feel comfy. If you still find it hard to argue with, why not call me something else?
    Last edited by hammer; 6 December 2005, 20:18.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Honest, some of you lot sound just like my tory mates. they keep banging on as well.

None of my tory mates are unemployed or anything, so I ask what about the recession? And they say its coming. Probably in six months time. Theyve been saying that for 5 years. And house prices will crash.

5 years! And after 5 years we are still cracking on like a good un. All right the stock market did go down a bit once but that was Saddam and 911. Its been going up again eversince.

Look I'm not a tory or a labour. I can only say what I see and vote. If the countrys in the tulip Id hold me hands up and say, whoa! get rid! vote for the other lot! But it isnt. Its steady as she goes. I'm earning a few bob Ive bought a new DVD and I'm off to Florida next year on me hols so whats the problem.
    Excuse me, what did Saddam have to do with 911?

I really hope you're just taking the piss.

As far as having "mates" is concerned, I think the only ones you've got were bought from the vending machine in the gents bogs. And I think that's in the hope that your mother finds them when she tidies your room so that she thinks her little boy is all grown up.
    Last edited by Churchill; 7 December 2005, 04:29.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    1 - Growth forecast halved to 1.75%
    Well, it got them re-elected...

2 - Doubling of tax on North Sea oil companies' profits
    Soft target, it's only redistribution of wealth afterall...

3 - Proposed new tax on land sale profits
    Soft target, it's only redistribution of wealth afterall...

4 - Extending the economic cycle by further two years
    Gotta fudge those figures...

5 - More 'shared equity' schemes for first time buyers
    Well, how else are we going to keep the economy afloat... See 3...

Leave a comment:

• Xerxes
    replied
    Look I'm not a tory or a labour. I can only say what I see and vote. If the countrys in the tulip Id hold me hands up and say, whoa! get rid! vote for the other lot! But it isnt. Its steady as she goes.
    As Spartacus pointed out, this is a strange set of proposals if it's really all alright and "steady as she goes"...

- Growth forecast halved to 1.75%
    - Doubling of tax on North Sea oil companies' profits
    - Proposed new tax on land sale profits
    - Extending the economic cycle by further two years
    - More 'shared equity' schemes for first time buyers

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by datestamp
    AJP - just wait for NL to introduce a War Tax to keep them going on their Mission Against World Wide Terrorism.
    Aye DS

Well given that the introduction of UK Income Tax as in fact a War Tax ...

Income Tax was announced in 1798, and introduced in 1799, as a means of paying for the war against the French forces under Napoleon. France was threatening to invade, and had already landed briefly in Wales and Ireland. For much of his campaigns from 1795, Napoleon was better organised than the British forces.

The cost of war had drained Britain’s resources, and run up a considerable national debt.

The army was starving, and poor conditions in the navy in 1797 had led to mutiny.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X