• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Free money for Labour voters"

Collapse

• Tingles
    replied
    Not Teeside!

I live on the edge of the Peak district - close to M1 / Leeds Brad / Manchester airports...

I'm happy.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    "The centre was a commitment under the government's Low Carbon Industrial Strategy, and is supported by £15m of government funding and £10m from development agency Yorkshire Forward."

Plus there's another £30m on its way according to local radio and TV last week.
    Question for the Southerners here. If you were offered £50k up-front, would you re-locate to Teesside?

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    This what? Why should Rolls Royce relocate?

"The centre was a commitment under the government's Low Carbon Industrial Strategy, and is supported by £15m of government funding and £10m from development agency Yorkshire Forward."

Plus there's another £30m on its way according to local radio and TV last week.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    This what? Why should Rolls Royce relocate?

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    And this -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/8392967.stm

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    That's not exactly true, how would the banks have acted under any other government? Differently? I don't think so. Light hand and lack of regualtion isn't exaclty a socailist principle. The underlying fact is unbridled capitalism always leads to disaster. Just look at the History books.
    The real disaster is the bailout. The other disaster is letting banks get 'too big to fail'. The answer would be to force them to insure their deposits; but that sounds a little like hard work for them, holding gold and stuff.

I'm not going down the -ism route; because it's not that simple when you have Labour behaving like Tories and vice versa. All politicians pi$$ in the same pot and they've both presided over Britain's relative decline since WW1, standing back with their arms folded.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY View Post
    Bankers vote Labour - why shoot the goose that lays the golden egg? It's obvious Labour are clueless about money because if they weren't the country wouldn't be bankrupt.
    I am pretty sure Tories would have also ridden the wave of debt in order to stay in Govt for as long as possible.

The only difference would have been in waste of money on public services and maybe a bit lower direct taxes.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY View Post
    Bankers vote Labour - why shoot the goose that lays the golden egg? It's obvious Labour are clueless about money because if they weren't the country wouldn't be bankrupt.
    That's not exactly true, how would the banks have acted under any other government? Differently? I don't think so. Light hand and lack of regualtion isn't exacty a socailist principle. The underlying fact is unbridled capitalism always leads to disaster. Just look at the History books. Greed and Fear, Greed and Fear
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 8 December 2009, 18:33.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Is that so the Bankers will vote Labour?

Yours
    DimPrawn

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Not really. To be cynical would be to set the £60m against the trillion-and-a-bit that the banks have got (figure from here) and realise it's about 1/20,000 as much so what the hell?
    Is that so the Bankers will vote Labour?

Yours
    DimPrawn

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    Isn't this about social cohesion.

I think that it is important to recognise that Teeside was part of the Industrial Powerhouse that made this country into an empire.

We should be helping them to adapt to a new world where industry is not a western European pre-occupation
    The Empire was before the industrial revolution (TIR) surely?

In fact one could argue that TIR was the point when decline of the Empire started - if you can make big £££ whilst still being on this island then why bother going to far lands and risking lifes?

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    No. You're being a simpleton.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Am I being cynical?
    Not really. To be cynical would be to set the £60m against the trillion-and-a-bit that the banks have got (figure from here) and realise it's about 1/20,000 as much so what the hell?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/8402054.stm

The government has announced a £60m aid package to help Teesside recover from the loss of 1,700 jobs at the Corus steelworks plant in Redcar.

Business Secretary Lord Mandelson said it would offer "direct and immediate" help to the workers who face losing their jobs at Teesside Cast Products.

Am I being cynical?
    They have previous form.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    Stop that you are just being silly.
    Sorry. Too much coffee. I blame Maxwell House.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X