• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New XBOX 360

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New XBOX 360"

Collapse

• G8_Summit
    replied
    I have no real interest in games consoles, but after reading this review, I want one - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12...view_xbox_360/

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Well, you seem to know context of this market better than me, so perhaps you right about it.

Leave a comment:

• dazza12
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    I see no motive for shortage - when console just released in absense of competitors there is no need to cut price because there are plenty of first adopters around to splash their money, making bundles is also not an issue - choice of games is limited and since no game can be played on it unless its bought it ensures that games on offer will sell well, in fact not providing enough consoles will hurt sales of games - something that makes money.
    There is plenty of reason for the so-called 'shortage'.

A shortage makes the product more desirable, it's that feeling of getting it before everyone else. Mark my words, it'll be back in stock everywhere a few days before xmas.

There's also the fact that they are competing with other consoles this xmas. Yes, none of them have anywhere near the same power but its competition nonetheless. The PS2 has been heavily discounted (along with the original Xbox) and the PSP is 'suddenly' back in stock.

Earlier it was mentioned about bugs in the Xbox360. Well, what about the multitude of bugs found in the PSP? Another product that was released without proper testing, and which has had a series of firmware upgrades released.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I see no motive for shortage - when console just released in absense of competitors there is no need to cut price because there are plenty of first adopters around to splash their money, making bundles is also not an issue - choice of games is limited and since no game can be played on it unless its bought it ensures that games on offer will sell well, in fact not providing enough consoles will hurt sales of games - something that makes money.

Its just bad timing - IMO they are lucky to have made this deadline, just how many other deadlines Microsoft kept? I remember they announced object oriented file system when I was like 17 years old - in 1994 with a view to implement it in Windows NT 3.1 or 3.5, but now it won't even going to be in Vista.

Leave a comment:

• dazza12
    replied
    Nope, the demo units in stores are definately the correct units. There's no way you'd get the performance I saw (and experienced in one store) from an original Xbox.

They didn't release to manufacturing too late. There is no shortage, simply a holding back of stocks. Sony did this with the PSP, and Nintendo are doing it with the DS. Commodore did it with the Amiga, Sega did it with the Megadrive and Nintendo did it with the N64. Sony did it last Christmas with the slimline PS2 (that miraculously went into stock everywhere a week before Xmas). There was apparently several containers full of PS2's heading for here that was on a ship that got impounded on it's way through the Suez canal. Everyone thinks they are looking at a stock shortage and go out and buy the unit, in order to secure one. At that point, desire has set in and it will still sell when there is an abundance of stock.

If a shortage really exists, there would be no live units on display - there would be no need. In fact, I believe that by offering an item for sale in a store and not being able to fulfil the order is a breach of the Sale of Goods act and would either mean the retailer has to withdraw the goods from sale or be fined.

The PS3 is apparently released mid-2006. It's looking like the European launch is sometime nearer Xmas. I wonder if there's going to be a 'shortage' - of course there will. I for one won't be getting a PS3, it doesn't look any better than the Xbox 360. Performance data looks very similar.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by dazza12
    There's a lot of evidence of it being an artificial shortage. Went in a few games shops over the weekend, and there are several working units in POS displays. If there really was a shortage, and given the hype about it, there would be no need to have a demo unit. I'm getting one, but waiting for a few weeks.
    In all probability demo units run earlier version of Xbox - it seems like they were finalising bits until the last moment, which is probably the main reason why they got shortage in the first place - they simply released it to manufacturing way too late, especially considering its the busiest period of the year: amazing they hit the deadline in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• dazza12
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    Isnt it interesting how there is an "artificial" shortage of base units...thus ensuring they can be sold for a premium for longer.

I reckon such artificial shortages should be made illegal...GB could be making a windfall from fat multinational companies instead of making a windfal from fat property owners

Mailman
    There's a lot of evidence of it being an artificial shortage. Went in a few games shops over the weekend, and there are several working units in POS displays. If there really was a shortage, and given the hype about it, there would be no need to have a demo unit. I'm getting one, but waiting for a few weeks.

I'm currently trying to find a Nintendo DS for my daughter and there seems to be another artificial shortage. The latest is that they've discontinued the pack she wants - what better way to hype it up than to say it's not available any more.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    Isnt it interesting how there is an "artificial" shortage of base units...thus ensuring they can be sold for a premium for longer.

I reckon such artificial shortages should be made illegal...GB could be making a windfall from fat multinational companies instead of making a windfal from fat property owners

Mailman
    Nintendo did this in the N64 days, I got one the the 3rd week they were available, then 2 months later price dropped. I wrote a letter to Mr Nentendo and the gave me £100 which was nice.

Leave a comment:

• Chessplayer
    replied
    Is it possible to play tetris on the new Xbox?

Leave a comment:

• Bovvered
    replied
    I'll be waiting for the PS3 and being a massive Nintendo fan, the Revolution.

I think MS's biggest mistake is lumping for standard DVD technology. By the time PS3 comes out your average Joe will be looking at DVD as a technology which is on its way out.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Sorry chaps, waiting for the PS3... Cell... Hmmmm....

Off to touch meself...

Leave a comment:

• ancient
    replied
    common guy's you have to buy it - you know you do.

Given all the hype - you must be caught by now, curious at least.

I need to get my Microsoft shares up so I can sell'm at a profit.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod
    Oh, you'd be an expert then, eh?
    He is better - he has Lord on his side...

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Chico
    I have just taken a my first view of it (Game shop - Canary Wharf) and I am not impressed with the graphics or the gameplay. Anyone acquired one yet?
    Oh, you'd be an expert then, eh?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Are you trying to say that shaunboy is fat?
    He can't be - not with all that outdoors exercising with sheep that allegedly takes place in Wales....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X