• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractors are Thatchers children"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    You could apply such a negative diatribe to any Prime Minister or leading politician, especially with being able to distort the reality and circumstances armed with hindsight.
    True to a point but irrelevant - the question was reasons I don't/didn't like Thatcher, not anyone else.
    What you cannot distort is the fact that you personally have become fat and rich thanks to her policies.
    I would have been fat anyway - which of her policies have made me "rich"?
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 8 December 2009, 19:07.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    What you cannot distort is the fact that you personally have become fat and rich thanks to her policies.
    hey. easy on the rich bit buster

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    1. As others have said - totally unknowable.
    2. We've been over this, but just a few highlights:

Support for Apartheid
    Refusal to settle Miners strike when she had the opportunity
    Failure to act to prevent Falklands Invasion when warned and cynical use of it subsequently
    Claim to refuse to negotiate with "blood stained marxist" Mugabe - and then negotiating.
    Claims never to U turn but doing one any time her personal power was threatened.
    Her sickening support for the utter reptile Cecil Parkinson - Mandelson's a sleazy rat, but he didn't abandon his own child and refuse to have anything to do with her or her Mum.
    Claims she cut taxes when she didn't
    Claims to respect democracy and free speech but refused to let a legally constituted Polictical party appear and speak on TV
    Sickening Support for Pinochet
    Claim to cut red tape but increasing it - Poll Tax top but not the only example
    Squandered Oil and Privatisation revenues
    Created most of the current Quangocracy current Tories complain about
    Purchase of Jonson Matthey Bank - a Nationalisation when it suited her
    Had the cheek to campaign on the basis of that "Labour Isn't working" poster on the basis that Labour wasn't ensuring people had work! What a laugh. Took over and more than doubled unemployment (as well as gerimandering the stats).
    Selling us stuff we'd already paid for then creating pointless regulators and watchdogs to do sod all at our expense
    You could apply such a negative diatribe to any Prime Minister or leading politician, especially with being able to distort the reality and circumstances armed with hindsight. What you cannot distort is the fact that you personally have become fat and rich thanks to her policies.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    There was an interesting piece in the FT from 10 years ago.

Descriptions of how things went wrong for post-war Chancellors. Most of them were Conservative.

http://specials.ft.com/ln/budget99/q310e.htm

It's not the whole story though - there is no mention of what can now be called the halcyon days under Norman Lamont.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Am in right in thinking the Tories inherited the misdoings of a Labour govt?
    No. Much as I am loathed to admit it.

Throughout the 1950s and 1960s the British economy was described as "stop and go" rather than boom and bust. Recessions were unheard of - only in 1958 did the economy decline and then only by 0.2%.

Inflation averaged 3.3% (5.4% max) and unemployment averaged 1.9% (2.6% max) through this period.*

At the time the main criticism of the governments was that productivity growth lagged behind more successful economies such as France and Italy (and the US and Germany obviously).

The trouble in the 1970s started with the conservative Chancellor's policies resulting in an inflationary boom (google "Barber Boom").

That said, the quadrupling of the price of oil at the end of 1973 made things very much worse and it is not easy to decouple the effects of the two.

* Figures taken from From Boom to Bust David Smith 1992.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 8 December 2009, 09:30. Reason: More stats. Referenced source.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Was speaking to someone today about the Labour govt. in 1973.

He reminded me of:
    90% top tax rate
    power cuts
    strikes
    3 day working week

I was 4 years old, but remember granny getting out the candles.

In comparison, Margaret Thatcher was a breath of fresh air.
    You have just 100% proved my point about revisionist history.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Ted Heath (conservative) was in power in 1973 and the 3 day week.
    I stand corrected, but I was only 4 years old!

Am in right in thinking the Tories inherited the misdoings of a Labour govt?

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied

He reminded me of:
    90% top tax rate
    power cuts
    strikes
    3 day working week

Where's the shakes head smiley?

The 3 day week was at the start of 1974 and the Conservatives were in power (Ted Heath was PM as mentioned).

However, the 3 day week was a response to power shortages caused by striking coal miners and retribution came in the end a decade later.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied

He reminded me of:
    90% top tax rate
    power cuts
    strikes
    3 day working week

Ted Heath (conservative) was in power in 1973 and the 3 day week.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied

He reminded me of:
    90% top tax rate
    power cuts
    strikes
    3 day working week

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    If you bother to read what I wrote then you will see that I am as critical of her as most. I may have been wrong statistically about grammar schools but my central point is not about grammar schools, nor is it about adoring the woman. My point is that contractors have done very well as a result of her policies and I am asking those of you who hate her so much to explain why. So far not one of the hysterical idiots has managed to step up and argue:

1. That had Thatcher NOT come into power they would be as wealthy as they are now anyway.

or

2. What is it that she did that was so terrible to them that it made them hate her.

If snaw had said that Thatcher once got pished and stabbed his mum to death then THAT I could understand.
    1. As others have said - totally unknowable.
    2. We've been over this, but just a few highlights:

Support for Apartheid
    Refusal to settle Miners strike when she had the opportunity
    Failure to act to prevent Falklands Invasion when warned and cynical use of it subsequently
    Claim to refuse to negotiate with "blood stained marxist" Mugabe - and then negotiating.
    Claims never to U turn but doing one any time her personal power was threatened.
    Her sickening support for the utter reptile Cecil Parkinson - Mandelson's a sleazy rat, but he didn't abandon his own child and refuse to have anything to do with her or her Mum.
    Claims she cut taxes when she didn't
    Claims to respect democracy and free speech but refused to let a legally constituted Polictical party appear and speak on TV
    Sickening Support for Pinochet
    Claim to cut red tape but increasing it - Poll Tax top but not the only example
    Squandered Oil and Privatisation revenues
    Created most of the current Quangocracy current Tories complain about
    Purchase of Jonson Matthey Bank - a Nationalisation when it suited her
    Had the cheek to campaign on the basis of that "Labour Isn't working" poster on the basis that Labour wasn't ensuring people had work! What a laugh. Took over and more than doubled unemployment (as well as gerimandering the stats).
    Selling us stuff we'd already paid for then creating pointless regulators and watchdogs to do sod all at our expense
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 8 December 2009, 07:37.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I read those stats too and was surprised by them.

I had been led to believe that the Labour party was rescuing industry from the ravages of Tory governments.
    Which stats where? Please.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Are you saying IT Contractors are like Mark and Carol? Criminal, racist and racketeering

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Oh dear, DA. Taken to pinching the lead of church rooves?

(Need a hand? I've got a ladder.)
    There's an idea

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    You can't rescue lower wages and less taxes in Eastern Europe and Asia.
    Probably true. In which case that's two reasons for lefties to be embarrassed about criticising Thatcher for wrecking UK manufacturing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X