• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fox-Hunting

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fox-Hunting"

Collapse

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Instead of re-introducing fox hunting, how about we create a new sport? We could call it "Harman hunting".

I quite fancy the idea of seeing that crazy, man-hating weirdo torn limb from limb from a pack of hounds before she can do any more damage....

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I see Berkshire Hunts every day
    Berkeley

Leave a comment:

• bodnobal
    replied
    When the Tories get in next year I hope in addition to letting us toffs kill vermin again we can stick some chavs up chimneys. Let's get the Great back into Britain.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    but why not

I hit a pheasant at 150 kph on the autobahn yesterday. It damaged the grille on the car and then the poor creature's head got caught in the Mercedes star on the bonnet, which ripped the head off and, like a slingshot, fired the body of the pheasant several metres into the air, as I saw in the rear view mirror, before it crashed to earth somewhere behind me. I drove on with the head still stuck in the 3 pointed star and a little eye staring at me until I could get to a services and remove it.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 23 November 2009, 20:42.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Are Dave's lot going to repeal the Act? I'm given to understand they daren't.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I see Berkshire Hunts every day

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Well done the Tories. Fox hunting is more popular than ever due to the removal of the barbaric element of the "sport". This has a knock-on in the prosperity of the rural economy.

Remove the ban and adversely impact the rural economy. Smart move!

Pretty rich move on the part of the human race to call the foxes treatment of the odd chicken and lamb as inappropriate cruelty.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Well it works better than any other practical way of culling foxes. It doesnt cost the taxpayer any money, the price of chickens is kept low and a bunch of toffs get to ride around in silly outfits. If a few people can earn a living out of it and a few countyfolk can get their weekly sadistic fix without having to torture peasants then so what?
    Spoken like a true city dweller

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    I hate the ruling class that they are warring against. The French had the right idea about the aristos.

As for controlling the fox population, fine. But is a cavalry charge in fancy dress really the way to do it? And to do it for the enjoyment of seeing a creature ripped apart? Surely those who actually enjoy that are psychopaths. They need to be watched.
    maybe all that this proves is that we all need someone to hate

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I don't think any new hunts have been created - the old ones just haven't disbanded and go on drag hunts (where a scent is trailed).

Occasionally, they happen across the scent of a live fox. So long as it wasn't the intention of the hunt to kill a fox that day, they are ok (by the law).
    It wasn't clear whether the hunts have more subscribers or whether there are more pay-as-you-gallop participants.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    There was something on the BBC news the other day that said support for hunting had increased since the hounds started "following trails"
    I don't think any new hunts have been created - the old ones just haven't disbanded and go on drag hunts (where a scent is trailed).

Occasionally, they happen across the scent of a live fox. So long as it wasn't the intention of the hunt to kill a fox that day, they are ok (by the law).

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I never have been, or would want to go to, a hunt.
    But I like the idea that the Tories will repeal/amend the law to allow the hunts to get back out there doing their stuff

I really hate the class warriors like Brown and Harman et al.

I hate the ruling class that they are warring against. The French had the right idea about the aristos.

As for controlling the fox population, fine. But is a cavalry charge in fancy dress really the way to do it? And to do it for the enjoyment of seeing a creature ripped apart? Surely those who actually enjoy that are psychopaths. They need to be watched.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    There was something on the BBC news the other day that said support for hunting had increased since the hounds started "following trails"

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Well it works better than any other practical way of culling foxes. It doesnt cost the taxpayer any money, the price of chickens is kept low and a bunch of toffs get to ride around in silly outfits. If a few people can earn a living out of it and a few countyfolk can get their weekly sadistic fix without having to torture peasants then so what?
    WHS

I don't like fox hunting, but banning it was wrong and has probably only served to increase its support.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    That's somewhat missing the point. Nobody is saying that foxes are cute and cuddly, and nobody is saying that they shouldn't be culled if they are a nuisance. And maybe it's even true that using dogs is an effective way of doing that, though that's hard to believe.

It's making a sport out of killing that is what most people consider to be abhorent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X