• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Faking experience

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Faking experience"

Collapse

• Phoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus
    Is there anyone who has never told a few porkies on their CV in order to enhance their prospects of winning the contract?

Me an Bill Gates were only talking about this yesterday

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Is there anyone who has never told a few porkies on their CV in order to enhance their prospects of winning the contract?

Leave a comment:

• wc2
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    Does £6500 get you a course that then gets you the SAP contracts?
    Should buy you an ABAP course.

Don't know what the going rate for ABAP is, The last time I looked as about 600 p/d

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Jobserve, contract only, last 7 days, .NET, 600 contracts.
    Jobserve, contract only, last 7 days, SAP, 1286 contracts.

Yep, the guy was an arse.

SAP it is.
    Does £6500 get you a course that then gets you the SAP contracts?

Leave a comment:

• wc2
    replied
    As a very young WC2 - Out of college - Could not get any IT work - So I got a job in a Postroom - For 2 bloody years tried to get a start - No experience - No Job.

So I got a little creative with my CV and got an interview for a Novell sysadmin job - Read a book the night before - Got the job - Fake reference from a colleague who backed up my story of all the experience.

It was for a bank - Don't really know how I pulled it off.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black
    Self-taught with a six week intensive course which cost £6500. All to learn a system which no-one uses.

SAP, SAP, SAP I tell you!!!!!!

Milan
    Jobserve, contract only, last 7 days, .NET, 600 contracts.
    Jobserve, contract only, last 7 days, SAP, 1286 contracts.

Yep, the guy was an arse.

SAP it is.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Well done that man!
    Self-taught with a six week intensive course which cost £6500. All to learn a system which no-one uses.

SAP, SAP, SAP I tell you!!!!!!

Milan

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Im thinking of downgrading some aspects of my CV as everyone wants me to be either a manager or a 'consultant'..... i.e. galavanting all over the shop while the company makes a mint out of you. No, ta.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by LGDT
    Gone from dead in the water mainframe COBOL mainframe to .NET guru in 12 months. Self-taught with a six week intensive course which cost me £6500.

Would never have stood a chance of getting a contract without blagging some experience. About to start my 4th .NET gig on Monday and the phone rings off the hook most days.

Doesn't really matter so long as you can back up the blagging with decent productivity and quality of work.
    Well done that man!

Leave a comment:

• Gruntfuttock
    replied
    Once got a 500/day contract for 2 weeks because I was the only one on the agent's database who new what the acronym 'GLDI' stood for! I didn't know how it worked, but still finished the work on the second day as it turned out they were using the wrong tnsnames file! Duh! Then spent the rest of the time writing* the manual. They were suitably impressed.
    *Copy and paste from the real thing.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    I once told a client I'm a .NET guru when in reality I change backup tapes all day.
    I thought they all started like this.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    I once told a client I'm a .NET guru when in reality I change backup tapes all day.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    a friend of mine once got a job as a buyer for a tea company because he told them he was "interested in tea"

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    I was put forward for a Notes development job for a bank, the interviewer was on business in europe so we did a telephone interview. He asked me what was the extent of my experience to which I replied 'I read an article once in a magazine'.

I got the contract...

I came clean 6 months later at the xmas party and he did mention that they got slightly worried when on my first day I asked where the manuals were kept.

Finished the job to everyone's satisfaction but this sure ain't the only time I've resorted to bulltulip to get the job.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X