• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I'm collecting money for agents......"

Collapse

• Tingles
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    That looks like the place from what I recall.

It's a re-enactment museum ?????!?!

We all thought it was real...

I admire your sense of humour.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    That looks like the place from what I recall.

It's a re-enactment museum ?????!?!

We all thought it was real...

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    I don't know. We were certainly all blist (apart from the driver) when we arrived at the place.

http://www.blistshill.org/

Near Telford.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    True story - went to visit friends in Yorkshire with another(confirmed Southerner) mate. He actually asked "do you have cashpoints up here?"

Needless to say, he's never lived it down.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    Blist Hill?
    I don't know. We were certainly all blist (apart from the driver) when we arrived at the place.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Actually, the last time I went north of the Watford Gap, was 20 years ago, and we went to a place called Tolford or something. It was a long drive and we'd gone quite a way north. Luckily, us passengers had plenty of cans to amuse ourselves with.

When we arrived, it was like going back in time to a village that had been forgotten by modern day.

It was a bit of a shock seeing people all dressed in old style clothes, having to change our english money at the bank for the local currency, and wandering around the village, seeing people still using horses and carts.

At least they had a foundry there where they made their own steel and stuff, so I guess they are quite self-sufficient in that sense.

It was a shame to go, and the people were really nice and friendly. It looked a hard life though. The sweetshop wasn't bad, but it was all old fashioned sweets. Maybe the modern stuff has yet to get up there ?

I gave the lady in the sweetshop a fiver and said that if she ever leaves for London, this is the sort of money they use there. She looked genuinely shocked, but I reassured her there was no catch, and I was just trying to help.

I wonder if that little old village is still there, these days ?

Blist Hill?

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Actually, the last time I went north of the Watford Gap, was 20 years ago, and we went to a place called Tolford or something. It was a long drive and we'd gone quite a way north. Luckily, us passengers had plenty of cans to amuse ourselves with.

When we arrived, it was like going back in time to a village that had been forgotten by modern day.

It was a bit of a shock seeing people all dressed in old style clothes, having to change our english money at the bank for the local currency, and wandering around the village, seeing people still using horses and carts.

At least they had a foundry there where they made their own steel and stuff, so I guess they are quite self-sufficient in that sense.

It was a shame to go, and the people were really nice and friendly. It looked a hard life though. The sweetshop wasn't bad, but it was all old fashioned sweets. Maybe the modern stuff has yet to get up there ?

I gave the lady in the sweetshop a fiver and said that if she ever leaves for London, this is the sort of money they use there. She looked genuinely shocked, but I reassured her there was no catch, and I was just trying to help.

I wonder if that little old village is still there, these days ?

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    Northerners do make the best cakes..

Eccles cakes
    Lancaster Lemon Tart
    Bakewell pudding

(I'm sure I thought of more until I started typing)

I think its to take the taste of coal out of their mouths

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Northerners do make the best cakes..

Eccles cakes
    Lancaster Lemon Tart
    Bakewell tart

(I'm sure I thought of more until I started typing)

I think its to take the taste of coal out of their mouths

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    and probably the best cakes in the UK. Mmmm iced buns with confectioners custard.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Try Stoke.
    Ha, you beat me to it - Stoke is an utter dump and I only go back cos my folks are still there.
    All the industry has gone, steel, coal and pottery - the heart has been ripped out of it I find it all very depressing.
    Mind you we do have a Premier league side - so not all bad eh?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Stoke is like Croydon without the charm

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I went to Burnley once. Most miserable place I have ever seen.
    Try Stoke.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    East Kilbride may not be a thriving cosmopolitan town but it is pretty clean, the transport links are good, plenty of local high tech jobs and if you are lucky enough not to get knifed one night by some boozed up gang of neds then it's an OK place to live. It's not for me, although my last gig was there.

Preston? That station is like something from a 19th century nightmare.
    So the worst thing about East Kilbride is the stabbing risk
    Worst thing about Preston is the train station

Hmmmm difficult to choose between the two here

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    ...to fund geography lessons for those down South.

FFS Manchester and Newcastle are NOT next to each other!

'cept maybe in a dictionary
    Yep, In south Cheshire It takes longer for me to drive to Newcastle (upon tyne that is) than Oxford. I do know of one guy who confused geordieland with Newcastle under lyme
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 20 November 2009, 10:36.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X