• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What will happen when the current V shaped recovery collapses?"

Collapse

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    So when the US $ booms and all the current carry trade unwinds and all the stock markets and commodities crash, will the US government print another trillion and add to their insurmountable debt or let it just fail?

That's what I'd like to know.
    Unless there is another viable option, then yes.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    So when the US $ booms and all the current carry trade unwinds and all the stock markets and commodities crash, will the US government print another trillion and add to their insurmountable debt or let it just fail?

Good question. Ask Ben Bernanke, but I dont think he'll tell you.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tenpin
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Season 13, Episode 3

Bank Clerk: How can I help you, young man?
    Stan Marsh: I got a hundred-dollar check from my grandma and my dad said I need to put it in the bank so it can grow over the years.
    Bank Clerk: Well that's fantastic. A really smart decision, young man. We can put that check in a money market mutual fund, then we'll re-invest the earnings into foreign currency accounts with compounding interest aaaand it's gone

Even better one from the current series: where the japs are killing all the whales ...
    Great - ta.

I love South Park. Consistently on the money. Been catching up/re-watching during the train commute, watched "Smug" this morning about the hybrid cars (I have a lot of catching up to do).

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by tenpin View Post
    You got an episode/series number for that? Ta...
    Season 13, Episode 3

Bank Clerk: How can I help you, young man?
    Stan Marsh: I got a hundred-dollar check from my grandma and my dad said I need to put it in the bank so it can grow over the years.
    Bank Clerk: Well that's fantastic. A really smart decision, young man. We can put that check in a money market mutual fund, then we'll re-invest the earnings into foreign currency accounts with compounding interest aaaand it's gone

Even better one from the current series: where the japs are killing all the whales ...

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Nope but today I watched the one where Cartman got aids.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm HIV positive"

Leave a comment:

• tenpin
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Watch the south park episode where stan puts his money in the bank ... it explains it all ...
    You got an episode/series number for that? Ta...

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    You know the world has gone mad when people are queuing up overnight to buy the latest pair of shoes!

Oh well, good traing for when they have to start doing this for a loaf of bread.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    It's going to be a V shaped recovery. Followed by another V shaped recovery. It certainly won't be a W shaped recovery.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    I think world leaders are trying to see us through to 2012 after which it won't matter as the world is due to end then.
    Must be true, the film says so!

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    It's going to be a coffin shaped* recovery

*Seen on HPC
    A V shaped coffin or W shaped

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    I think world leaders are trying to see us through to 2012 after which it won't matter as the world is due to end then.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    It's going to be a coffin shaped* recovery

*Seen on HPC

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Presumably the collapse would have to happen quickly if it is to work, otherwise people would just pile into other currencies, assets or commodities like gold. Erm...

If the Dollar or Pound collapsed, would the Euro and Ozzie dollar fall too?
    The $ is currently being used as a carry trade currency. Therefore if the stock markets crash, the $ should appreciate. The $ is a risk aversion currency and rises when equities sink.

When the $ rises, EURUSD, GBPUSD, AUDSUD will all fall.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    A decent chinese takeaway will cost us an arm and a leg
    Still better than a Russian kebab (did we conclude that link was too sick to post?)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X