• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Peer Pressure

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Peer Pressure"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Sorry.

I felt obliged to do so by the trend for people to deliberately misinterpret thread titles and make puns from them. I suppose I was pressured by the convention of my peers into doing the same.

So...

Baaaaaaa!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Sorry.

I felt obliged by the recurring trend for people to deliberately misinterpret thread titles and make puns from them. I suppose I was pressured by the convention of my peers into doing the same.

So...

Baaaaaaa!

heh heh

how did the job reqts thingy go yesterday

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    and you can button it. You never see me wrecking peoples threads by making smart @rsed comments
    Sorry.

I felt obliged to do so by the trend for people to deliberately misinterpret thread titles and make puns from them. I suppose I was pressured by the convention of my peers into doing the same.

So...

Baaaaaaa!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Bugger.

I had just been composing a clever post about Brighton, Southend-on-Sea, Weston-super-Mare and the Victorian invention of going to the seaside and its impact upon fishermen's and ferries' jetties.
    and you can button it. You never see me wrecking peoples threads by making smart @rsed comments

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Maybe that is the case. However, in other countries it pretty common. South Africa is a good example - in many communities nearly everyone does it. I visited last year, and was truly shocked at just how drunk people would get before getting behind the wheel. Probably if you were to go and live there now, you would continue to oppose drink driving. But if you had always lived there, your parents probably would have done it, all your friends would have been doing it, what are the chances of your logical opposition ever having kicked in?
    Ah, k2p2. A clear thinker. keep it up

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Logic makes me opposed to drink driving, not peer pressure.
    Maybe that is the case. However, in other countries it pretty common. South Africa is a good example - in many communities nearly everyone does it. I visited last year, and was truly shocked at just how drunk people would get before getting behind the wheel. Probably if you were to go and live there now, you would continue to oppose drink driving. But if you had always lived there, your parents probably would have done it, all your friends would have been doing it, what are the chances of your logical opposition ever having kicked in?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Billy-Bob View Post
    Sorry I thought Sorry I thought you meant Peir Pressure.
    Bugger.

I had just been composing a clever post about Brighton, Southend-on-Sea, Weston-super-Mare and the Victorian invention of going to the seaside and its impact upon fishermen's and ferries' jetties.

Leave a comment:

• Billy-Bob
    replied
    Sand pile driving work is by use of the sand pile driving apparatus. By the operation of the vibrator, the casing pipe is penetrated into a ground to a predetermined depth. Then, while reciprocating the piston cylinder mechanism, sand is discharged from the lower end of the casing pipe and the discharged sand is compacted. At the same time, a pull out procedure to pull out the casing pipe to a predetermined length is performed. By this pull out procedure, sand is filled into a space within the ground which is made after the casing pipe is pulled out. Sorry I thought Sorry I thought you meant Peir Pressure.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Unwitting Catalyst View Post
    Very impressed so far - understated and credible, and streets ahead of the normal Linda LaPlante/means streets of South London/"get out you slaaag" dross served up as "ITV Drama"

You're only saying that cos everyone else is. Think for yourself man.

Leave a comment:

• Unwitting Catalyst
    replied
    Anyone watching "Collision"?

Very impressed so far - understated and credible, and streets ahead of the normal Linda LaPlante/means streets of South London/"get out you slaaag" dross served up as "ITV Drama"

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Aha. There we have it.
    According to some of the posters on here, anyone who opposes drink driving is a sheep

Doesn't that depend on why you oppose drink driving? I oppose drink driving because it seems obvious to me that alcohol's effect on coordination and reactions doesn't combine well with the responsibility of controlling one and a half tons of steel that can move at high speed on public roads where everyone else should be able to use the road as safely as is realistically achievable. Logic makes me opposed to drink driving, not peer pressure.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    We sometimes get both strangers and neighbours collecting for this or that at the door. I deal with them all the same way - ask them to leave details of the charity and I will decide whether to send a donation direct. Many of them are 'chuggers' - paid a commission to collect at the door, so donating direct also ensures more of the money goes to the charity. I was quite shocked by one charity raffle ticket costing £2 - the teeny teeny print said that 14p would end up in the charity's pocket!

But that's digressing...

Peer pressure can be good or bad.

The decrease in drink driving for example, since the 1980s, is largely due to its social unacceptability, which is surely another form of peer pressure.
    Aha. There we have it.
    According to some of the posters on here, anyone who opposes drink driving is a sheep

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    We sometimes get both strangers and neighbours collecting for this or that at the door. I deal with them all the same way - ask them to leave details of the charity and I will decide whether to send a donation direct. Many of them are 'chuggers' - paid a commission to collect at the door, so donating direct also ensures more of the money goes to the charity. I was quite shocked by one charity raffle ticket costing £2 - the teeny teeny print said that 14p would end up in the charity's pocket!

But that's digressing...

Peer pressure can be good or bad.

The decrease in drink driving for example, since the 1980s, is largely due to its social unacceptability, which is surely another form of peer pressure.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
    Remind them of Matthew chapter 6:
    Cool! They know I'm an atheist, so they assume I know nothing about their bible. I shall use this one. Thanks.

There's a lot of nonsense in the bible, but there are some nuggets of real wisdom too.

Leave a comment:

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    That is done in a quite ugly way in Holland. Charity collectors knock on doors to ask for money; the people who knock on the door are people from your own village or neighbourhood, so they know you. Sometimes they even ask you to write your name on a list with how much money you've given.
    Remind them of Matthew chapter 6:

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
    Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
    But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
    That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X