• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Schiphol Airport

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Schiphol Airport"

Collapse

• snaw
    replied
    I used to think of Schipol as my second home when I lived there, mostly waiting for all your long lost friends who come out of the woodwork once they find out you're living in Amsterdam ...

Not been for a while, but they had that ever since 9/11 - used to have a 2nd check for flights to US with a million and one questions.

Funny thing was one time I was running late and ran up to the gate, went through the security check and got in as they were boarding only to discover I'd gone to the Boston instead of NY gate - the guy was so busy trying to get me to prove I wasn't a suicide bomber he didn't even check my bloody ticket to see where I was actually going ...

Leave a comment:

• Hart-floot
    replied
    Security in Holland has been tightened up alot since the murder of Theo VanGogh, the trial of the Hofstad terrorist cell (currently happening this week) and the feeling that after Madrid and London its Holland's turn next.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Hah, you think thats bad. I have to now fly in and out of Ben Gurion in Tel Aviv. Normally takes between 3-4 hours to get through everything.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    This extra check started last May/June when I used to commute weekly, first it started by a few airlines e.g BMI, but not KLM, but within 2 months all the airlines started scanning lugguage again before they let you in the waiting gates!!

I the first check is by the airport, the second is by the airline itself, I think it must be some kind of an insurance precautions etc

Leave a comment:

• KpMrJ
    replied
    Barmy Army

I fly in and out of Holland 2/3 times a month, primarily through Schipol.

To say its now a right royal pain in the arse is an understatement. I have to remove my coat, my belt, laptop out of case, and for the last 3 trips MY BOOTS !!!! I expect just incase I have a few lbs of semtex packed in them !!!

Its getting beyond a joke, plus theres the extra scanning and padding down at the gate also, what for ? Incase I've bought too much chocolate/alcohol ??? Plus most of the staff there couldn't give a monkies chuff about customer care, the last time one 'official' ( i use the term in the loosest sense ) literally threw my coat/bag etc into the scanner and wondered why I flipped my lid at him. You can probably tell by the length of my post IT PI$$ES ME OFF

Unfortunately, its the only place into holland where the flights are reasonably timed/priced/not delayed TOO much LOL

Ah, purge over I feel better now

J

Leave a comment:

• jason986
    replied
    Sorry, I was just going to rip in to AtW. However, I've just thought feck it!
    Why bother? All forums have their share of ATW's.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Do you want to think about it whilst your plane is being flown into Big Ben? The more security the better - the biggest cost of flying are taxes anyway, at least security do something useful for the money they get paid.
    Sorry, I was just going to rip in to AtW. However, I've just thought feck it!

Leave a comment:

• jason986
    replied
    They have now removed the first security check so obviously when I went through two weeks ago they must have been in the process of moving things around.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by jason986
    When I asked why we were doing the same thing twice within minutes of each other the guy just said 'for your safety' but I just don't understand it.
    Do you want to think about it whilst your plane is being flown into Big Ben? The more security the better - the biggest cost of flying are taxes anyway, at least security do something useful for the money they get paid.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by jason986
    It's about a year since I last went through Schiphol airport but last night I was using it again.

After going through the security check (and taking out the laptop etc) we had to go through a second security check (exactly the same format) just a few minutes away to get to the new H terminal. When I asked why we were doing the same thing twice within minutes of each other the guy just said 'for your safety' but I just don't understand it.

Does anyone know the real reason?
    It's in case you decided to invoke that old matter energy equation E = mc2 in between the two terminals and construct a weapon of mass destruction out of pure energy from your suitcase.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    job creation

Leave a comment:

• jason986
    started a topic Schiphol Airport

Schiphol Airport

It's about a year since I last went through Schiphol airport but last night I was using it again.

After going through the security check (and taking out the laptop etc) we had to go through a second security check (exactly the same format) just a few minutes away to get to the new H terminal. When I asked why we were doing the same thing twice within minutes of each other the guy just said 'for your safety' but I just don't understand it.

Does anyone know the real reason?

Working...
X