• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Good luck this week"

Collapse

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    RC I would think C# .Net would stand you in better stead. Try and stay off this VB.Net. I know all the other kids are doing it for their options, but think about what a prospective future employer would want to see on your CV. Your selected options are Home Ec, Religious Studies, VB.Net for girls, and Craft and Design.

Good work, have a sticker.
    RC is a girly swot

There are more jobs for c#.NET but VB isn't a bad place to start.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Oi RC, Download C# for free - legally!!!

I had cheerfully just assumed one had to buy such things.

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    +1

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    <Turns to go and sits down and sticks out tongue at Zippy.>

I chose it because:
    - I want to learn something;
    - I still use QBasic as my quick and dirty solve-a-puzzle-in-seconds general purpose programming language and want to replace it with something less embarassing;
    - The library had a book on learning it;
    - I can download it for free.

<Sticks tongue out at TheFaQQer>
    Oi RC, Download C# for free - legally!!!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I did look at those and talked to Mrs RC about it. She was quite clear on what I should do.

Not only that, but if I get £200 per week doing postie work (and spat at by the picket lines, I expect) I'll also lose the benefits I'm getting.

So, do I pay travel to the sorting office and get £200 less tax and have no ability to do daytime jobsearching & calling agents and be financially no better off...

Or, not apply for minimum wage work and keep gig-searching and be financially no worse off. Plus not have to explain to the DWP & benefits people what is going on and fill in more forms?

Yes, I have considered it. And came to the same conclusion as many others: what's the point? And that's not a rehetorical question, it is serious. What would be the point? I am getting out and about and making an effort to learn new skills and spending at least 35 hours per week gig-searching and getting up every day between 6 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. (depending on what Mrs RC is doing) so I am looking after my mental health and the routines.
    Ah, I get zip, because I sold my flat and went renting, so that I now have more than £16,000 in 'savings'. Had I not sold my flat I would have received dole, would not have paid council tax, interest on mortgage would be paid (or as it turned out would have been next to nothing given government policy on keeping interest rates low), free stuff like glasses, etc. Selling up definitely doesn't pay.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    didn't want one anyway.

Stupid game.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    A model pupil. Zippy you could learn from RC.
    <Turns to go and sits down and sticks out tongue at Zippy.>

RC I would think C# .Net would stand you in better stead. Try and stay off this VB.Net.
    I chose it because:
    - I want to learn something;
    - I still use QBasic as my quick and dirty solve-a-puzzle-in-seconds general purpose programming language and want to replace it with something less embarassing;
    - The library had a book on learning it;
    - I can download it for free.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Have you got to the stage where you've considering taking Christmas temp work sorting letters for Royal mail for minimum wage yet?
    I did look at those and talked to Mrs RC about it. She was quite clear on what I should do.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    One problem with that of course is that it might mean missing out on better paid work.
    Not only that, but if I get £200 per week doing postie work (and spat at by the picket lines, I expect) I'll also lose the benefits I'm getting.

So, do I pay travel to the sorting office and get £200 less tax and have no ability to do daytime jobsearching & calling agents and be financially no better off...

Or, not apply for minimum wage work and keep gig-searching and be financially no worse off. Plus not have to explain to the DWP & benefits people what is going on and fill in more forms?

Yes, I have considered it. And came to the same conclusion as many others: what's the point? And that's not a rehetorical question, it is serious. What would be the point? I am getting out and about and making an effort to learn new skills and spending at least 35 hours per week gig-searching and getting up every day between 6 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. (depending on what Mrs RC is doing) so I am looking after my mental health and the routines.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Hello, Sir. Thank you, Sir.

I have been a good boy today. I was called by a lady from anagency about a job. She sended me a job description and I had to do a comprehension. I writted her a essay and I did send it off. She needed it by 12 and I sended it in good time.

Then it was playtime with Diestl and friends. We played soldiers in the General playground. It got a bit rough but I don't think anyone was hurted.

Then I saw the nice man at the Job Centre. He said I had been a very good boy. He saw I had used the terminals and had looked for jobs. I printed some off. He gave me a letter saying I am to go to a class next week. It is on "How to find a job". I don't know if my Mum needs to sign the letter.

Then I went to the Library. The nice lady there helped me find some books on Java. And Visual Basic .NET. I learnded JavaScript this last few days and I am learning Java and next I will learnded Visual Basic .Net.

Then I went home.

May I have a sticker, please, Sir?
    A model pupil. Zippy you could learn from RC. Well done, you've finished your lines. Wait a minute, why did you write "Teachers a knob head" 100 times. Go and see the head master!

RC I would think C# .Net would stand you in better stead. Try and stay off this VB.Net. I know all the other kids are doing it for their options, but think about what a prospective future employer would want to see on your CV. Your selected options are Home Ec, Religious Studies, VB.Net for girls, and Craft and Design.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

I have been a good boy today. I was called by a lady from anagency about a job. She sended me a job description and I had to do a comprehension. I writted her a essay and I did send it off. She needed it by 12 and I sended it in good time.

Then it was playtime with Diestl and friends. We played soldiers in the General playground. It got a bit rough but I don't think anyone was hurted.

Then I saw the nice man at the Job Centre. He said I had been a very good boy. He saw I had used the terminals and had looked for jobs. I printed some off. He gave me a letter saying I am to go to a class next week. It is on "How to find a job". I don't know if my Mum needs to sign the letter.

Then I went to the Library. The nice lady there helped me find some books on Java. And Visual Basic .NET. I learnded JavaScript this last few days and I am learning Java and next I will learnded Visual Basic .Net.

Then I went home.

Have you got to the stage where you've considering taking Christmas temp work sorting letters for Royal mail for minimum wage yet? One problem with that of course is that it might mean missing out on better paid work.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Now, RC, I hope you can lighten my mood.

Then I went home.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You too!?!

Oh wait, of course...
    woooooosh

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    <placeholder for next week>

I intend sorting my end-of-year accounts.
    You too!?!

Oh wait, of course...

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    snot fair just cos my mum forgot to pack my ide and my games kit snot my fault
    <sniff>

You don't need an IDE to create a CV. Go to the library at break time, you can use the school's computer.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    snot fair just cos my mum forgot to pack my ide and my games kit snot my fault
    <sniff>

Leave a comment:

Working...
X